or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NHL 2011-2012 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NHL 2011-2012 Thread - Page 51

post #751 of 1719
Thread Starter 
Got to ask Gary Bettman about the cable dispute with the Rangers and Time Warner on the NHL Hour Radio and TV show tonight...was not exactly the response I hoped for either...frown.gif
post #752 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

Got to ask Gary Bettman about the cable dispute with the Rangers and Time Warner on the NHL Hour Radio and TV show tonight...was not exactly the response I hoped for either...frown.gif

how did you manage that?? link??

also, found on my fb this morning:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/01/19/video-jon-stewart-vindicates-canuck-fans-everywhere/
post #753 of 1719
He probably called in to NHL live when Bettman was doing his segment.
post #754 of 1719
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gort View Post

He probably called in to NHL live when Bettman was doing his segment.

Yup...best part of his response, "The Rangers are having a GREAT season, the Devils are playing well, and even the Islanders are having a moment..." LMFAO
post #755 of 1719
I wasn't watching but I imagine he isn't equipped to answer your question about rangers TV coverage so he probably just deflected. I wouldn't expect him to have any answer for you there.
post #756 of 1719
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gort View Post

I wasn't watching but I imagine he isn't equipped to answer your question about rangers TV coverage so he probably just deflected. I wouldn't expect him to have any answer for you there.

He actually didn't deflect, I had wished I could have explained better the situation. He said he had no "inside info" but that these things happen and if you're unhappy call your provider (which I did) or switch providers (which I, and thousands others, can't).

I didn't explain that in NYC, million of people live in multi-dwelling units or apartment buildings. In these places options like DISH and DirecTV aren't available as the satellites aren't allowed. Also, many cable providers have their own "neighborhoods" so if you have TWC, you can't get cablevision. Verizon Fios is coming around, but has not reached many neighborhoods in the city yet.

Bettman and EJ did understand the frustration and appeared optimistic something would be resolved sooner rather than later. I also did hear from my local city councilmen that the sides are continually meeting and that there is progress being made. I think this can be something groundbreaking though, as politicians are forcing through legislation that would put two sides in situations like this into binding arbitration before stuff like this comes to fruition.
post #757 of 1719
Thread Starter 
OK, this is the second time in a calendar year where I have heard Ference referred to as "not that kind of player" as a result of his on ice actions. The first was in the playoffs, against I believe Mtl, when he stuck his elbow up after seeing a Mtl skater come behind him to pass, knocking him out. I finally got a chance to see the highlights of the Bruins Rangers game, and it looked to be a great one. The hit on McDonough was pretty bad though. From what I'm hearing, B's fans seemed pretty aggrieved with the result. What highlights and what I've read it sounded like a pretty good even game between two tough, even teams. What a playoff series that would be! Any thoughts on Ference as a player, the hit, and the chance of these two squaring off in the ECF?
post #758 of 1719
ference is a douchey player who got away with the benefit of the doubt after he flipped off the crowd in montreal. after the elbow on halpern and now this there's no doubt in my mind he's fitting into the boston mold of playing with an "edge." except "edge" really means "make dirty and stupid plays and claim innocence afterwards."

that being said i would love to see nyr-bos. yesterday's game was real tight and if i had to pick two teams to end up in the ecf it would be those two. rask make two ridiculous saves before gabby put the winner in; man do i love watching that guy rage.
post #759 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

ference is a douchey player who got away with the benefit of the doubt after he flipped off the crowd in montreal. after the elbow on halpern and now this there's no doubt in my mind he's fitting into the boston mold of playing with an "edge." except "edge" really means "make dirty and stupid plays and claim innocence afterwards."
that being said i would love to see nyr-bos. yesterday's game was real tight and if i had to pick two teams to end up in the ecf it would be those two. rask make two ridiculous saves before gabby put the winner in; man do i love watching that guy rage.

Ference is like most of his teammates -- he throws dirty hits and then relies on his manager and teammates to plead innocence.

Thankfully this song and dance has become truly transparent for the rest of the hockey world and Boston is no longer consider a tough team that plays with an "edge" but just a straight up dirty team that plays dirty.

When Boston plays clean they are a great team to watch, especially 5 on 5. But they rarely go a game without some type of incident and I think they've convinced themselves that playing dirty is what gives them their edge, when it fact its Julien's system and good hockey in all three zones.

It's a shame, really.
post #760 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington View Post

When Boston plays clean they are a great team to watch, especially 5 on 5. But they rarely go a game without some type of incident and I think they've convinced themselves that playing dirty is what gives them their edge, when it fact its Julien's system and good hockey in all three zones.
It's a shame, really.

+1. If they didn't play as dirty, I'd actually almost like BOS, if it wasnt for the whole being from Vancouver thing.
post #761 of 1719
Man, call me a Caps homer if I'm out of line on this, but Ovechkin got shafted by the NHL. Gets 3 games for jumping into Michalek, which they justify by saying he is a repeat offender even though that is total bullshit. Under the CBA he would be a first time offender (Status as a "first" or "repeat" offender shall be re-determined every eighteen months, on a rolling basis, i.e., where a player does not have another suspension for 18 months, his next suspension will be treated as a "first" offense.) because he hasn't been fined or suspended in over two years. In fact, he hasn't done shit (good or bad) like the old Ovechkin since he was suspended twice two years ago. Meanwhile Michalek gets nothing for an elbow to the back of Hendricks head into the boards that he even admitted to after the game. And Bourque's long since returned from his 5 game blatant elbow while Backstrom hasn't skated in close to three weeks. Caps hosting Boston tomorrow night without Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Green has a high probability of being a total shitshow.
post #762 of 1719
Ovie's definitely gotten away with a few in the past though...
post #763 of 1719
Bruin's Thomas skips the White House

I think this was stupid. He should have gone and voiced his opinion.
post #764 of 1719
I think it was legitimate but done in poor taste.
post #765 of 1719
At least Thomas didnt go all Kanye with it. He probably just wanted to decline the invite and leave it at that but was had to give a statement.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NHL 2011-2012 Thread