or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NHL 2011-2012 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NHL 2011-2012 Thread - Page 12

post #166 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post

Really? The reffing in international hockey is notoriously worse. Like bad enough that commentators actually openly discuss it as a factor which will influence the outcome of games, which I haven't often heard in an NHL game.

I think reffing is bad at all levels in hockey, not just the NHL. The NHL refs are the cream of a relatively bad crop.
post #167 of 1719
The Washington/ Lightning game has been insanely entertaining.
post #168 of 1719
Reffing ain't easy. Just sayin'.
post #169 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoneo View Post

The Washington/ Lightning game has been insanely entertaining.

except the part where washington won despite TB having a pp for half of OT facepalm.gif for some reason thompson/moore shoot instead of MSL/stamkos? i like you boucher, but really...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post

Really? The reffing in international hockey is notoriously worse. Like bad enough that commentators actually openly discuss it as a factor which will influence the outcome of games, which I haven't often heard in an NHL game.

i like IIHF since it shows off different styles of the game and the strengths/weaknesses of each country. national pride is a good motivator too... you would see guys like demitra (RIP) who would be kinda "eh" in NHL play but would come alive and light it up for their motherland. that and seeing star-studded rosters in canada/usa is just damn fun to watch. team canada 2011 was a fucking juggernaught and they didn't even have talents like stamkos.

what I dont understand is the european disparity in talent. finland and sweden own, norway sucks and has been a non-entity until recently despite those nations forming a geographical sandwich. countries like holland and england have non-existant hockey programs, but nextdoor germany is an olympic competitor. the dutch can speed skate like nobody's business though, thats for sure... get those farm kids some sticks and make it happen.
post #170 of 1719
Man things were jumping off here in Winnipeg yesterday night. Pro-Habs contingent out of St. Boniface were out in full force. Kudos to Montreal for playing well. Hopefully the Jets can get their act together.
post #171 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

for some reason thompson/moore shoot instead of MSL/stamkos? i like you boucher, but really...

+1... I was wondering the same thing. I mean, why the hell would you not pick those two?!
post #172 of 1719
Two gnarly hits from behind in the VAN - CBJ game yesterday on Henrik and Samuelsson, neither should be suspensions but given what happened to Zucarello I'm interested to see if there's a video today.
post #173 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

except the part where washington won despite TB having a pp for half of OT facepalm.gif for some reason thompson/moore shoot instead of MSL/stamkos? i like you boucher, but really...
i like IIHF since it shows off different styles of the game and the strengths/weaknesses of each country. national pride is a good motivator too... you would see guys like demitra (RIP) who would be kinda "eh" in NHL play but would come alive and light it up for their motherland. that and seeing star-studded rosters in canada/usa is just damn fun to watch. team canada 2011 was a fucking juggernaught and they didn't even have talents like stamkos.
what I dont understand is the european disparity in talent. finland and sweden own, norway sucks and has been a non-entity until recently despite those nations forming a geographical sandwich. countries like holland and england have non-existant hockey programs, but nextdoor germany is an olympic competitor. the dutch can speed skate like nobody's business though, thats for sure... get those farm kids some sticks and make it happen.

Culture. England, Holland, Norway, France, etc. have little or no hockey culture which is why they continue to be a non-factor in that sport. Hockey demands a fairly significant infrastructure and if there's no demand for it, kids don't play and if kids don't play, talent never develops. It's the same reason European countries such at baseball.
post #174 of 1719
Mckenzie is reporting that they may move detroit to SE and Winnipeg to Central division. That's stupid. My proposed realignment:

Northwest: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Minnesota
Central: Detroit, Columbus, Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh
Pacific: Anaheim, L.A., San Jose, Phoenix, Colorado

Southeast: Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Dallas, Nashville
Atlantic: Philly, NYR, NYI, New Jersey, Washington
Northeast: Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, Buffalo

This means The SE loses Winnipeg and Washington and gains Dallas and Nashville. The central loses Nashville and gets Pittsburgh. The Pacific loses Dallas and gets Colorado. The Atlantic loses Pittsburgh and gets Washington. And the Northwest loses Colorado and Gets Winnipeg. Teams switching conferences are Dallas, Nashville, Winnipeg and Pittsburgh.

Map it out. Makes sense geographically.
post #175 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post

Mckenzie is reporting that they may move detroit to SE and Winnipeg to Central division. That's stupid. My proposed realignment:
Northwest: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Minnesota
Central: Detroit, Columbus, Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh
Pacific: Anaheim, L.A., San Jose, Phoenix, Colorado
Southeast: Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Dallas, Nashville
Atlantic: Philly, NYR, NYI, New Jersey, Washington
Northeast: Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, Buffalo
This means The SE loses Winnipeg and Washington and gains Dallas and Nashville. The central loses Nashville and gets Pittsburgh. The Pacific loses Dallas and gets Colorado. The Atlantic loses Pittsburgh and gets Washington. And the Northwest loses Colorado and Gets Winnipeg. Teams switching conferences are Dallas, Nashville, Winnipeg and Pittsburgh.
Map it out. Makes sense geographically.

Geographically it makes a lot of sense. The only problems I'd have is that you're breaking up the Atlantic and its natural rivalries and the "new" Southeast division would be so weak it would be an afterthought. It would be the "sick man" of hockey, even more than it is now.

But I agree that a Winnipeg for Detroit swap is stupid.
post #176 of 1719
its on LB. my underachieving group of fogies against your injury-depleted midgets.
post #177 of 1719
1. New rivalries will develop, and 2. Teams get better and worse. A few years ago the NW was by far the best division in hockey, now it's the worst. The southeast used to be weak because Washington's suckery was dragging down the cup-contending Hurricanes. I think the main problem with that shift is moving Pitt to the west, which causes a bunch of pens games to start at 9 et, but it's the move that makes the most sense in terms of geography.
post #178 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

its on LB. my underachieving group of fogies against your injury-depleted midgets.

Over-under on someone inexplicably suffering a season ending knee injury during the warm-ups?
post #179 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post

1. New rivalries will develop, and 2. Teams get better and worse. A few years ago the NW was by far the best division in hockey, now it's the worst. The southeast used to be weak because Washington's suckery was dragging down the cup-contending Hurricanes. I think the main problem with that shift is moving Pitt to the west, which causes a bunch of pens games to start at 9 et, but it's the move that makes the most sense in terms of geography.

I agree that the strength of teams waxes and wanes but I don't know if a division featuring five small market teams will ever do well and breaking up one of the leagues most successful divisions seems counter intuitive.

Although rivalries can develop quickly, I think historical rivalries, especially those based on geography such as Pitt/Philly, are worth gold.
post #180 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington View Post

Over-under on someone inexplicably suffering a season ending knee injury during the warm-ups?

lol8[1].gif price or iginla. just end the season for both teams then and there.

god i love the habs arena guy. david... deharnAH! mathieu... DARCH! love the french.

...hate home opener shenanigans. flames one was awful. at least i get sweet accents for entertainment.

edit: hahaha did subban get booed in his intro??!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NHL 2011-2012 Thread