or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NHL 2011-2012 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NHL 2011-2012 Thread

post #1 of 1719
Thread Starter 
OK, Safe to start the new thread now that preseason is about a month and a half away.

Nassau County residents vote today on the proposal for the new building. If it passes it then must pass the Nassau County legislature and then a finance oversight committee. Otherwise the Isles are gone by 2015. I would hate to see them go, as I feel the rivalry is so real. I don't think its gonna get by all three though...frown.gif
post #2 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

OK, Safe to start the new thread now that preseason is about a month and a half away.

Nassau County residents vote today on the proposal for the new building. If it passes it then must pass the Nassau County legislature and then a finance oversight committee. Otherwise the Isles are gone by 2015. I would hate to see them go, as I feel the rivalry is so real. I don't think its gonna get by all three though...frown.gif

I would hate to see the Isles leave. I don't mind seeing a team like Atlanta or Phoenix close up shop but the Islanders actually have history and some Stanley Cups to show for it, not to mention a natural rivalry with the NYR and the Devils. Their management is terrible and they've been icing crap teams for years though. When they start winning, fans will return.
post #3 of 1719
Thread Starter 
Nassau County is such a tough nut to crack. The politics there are notorious. I think Spoo should forget about the Ferrari, buy the Islanders, and move them to Brooklyn.

As for my blueshirts, I LOVE the pick up of Mike Rupp. Guy is a grinder, fighter who can plop in a few goals as well. Penalty killing will be great next year up front, Prust, Cally, Dubi, Rupp. I hope our backline matures a little bit, McDunaugh is awesome, can't believe Montreal let him go. I hope Sauer is not a one hit wonder. Eminger is back for another year, Staal and Girardi are a solid number 1 pair, all be need is a pp point man.

The Richards addition was nice, but not earth shattering. Gaborik needs to have a big year or else he'll be risking being the boo bird favorite of the Garden faithful. I still would have loved to get Heatly or the other Richards but I know those are pipe dreams, especially that Heatly already has gone.

Devils will be placing Hunter and White on wavers soon...wonder what's up their sleeve?
post #4 of 1719
Love the new Jets logo. Fuck the haters. I am going to shamelessly bandwagon that shit until they join the Western conference and end up playing my Flames more often. Anyone have any idea on how they're going to shuffle the conferences? Seems like Detroit may finally go east when Winnipeg comes west.
post #5 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

Nassau County is such a tough nut to crack. The politics there are notorious. I think Spoo should forget about the Ferrari, buy the Islanders, and move them to Brooklyn.

As for my blueshirts, I LOVE the pick up of Mike Rupp. Guy is a grinder, fighter who can plop in a few goals as well. Penalty killing will be great next year up front, Prust, Cally, Dubi, Rupp. I hope our backline matures a little bit, McDunaugh is awesome, can't believe Montreal let him go. I hope Sauer is not a one hit wonder. Eminger is back for another year, Staal and Girardi are a solid number 1 pair, all be need is a pp point man.

The Richards addition was nice, but not earth shattering. Gaborik needs to have a big year or else he'll be risking being the boo bird favorite of the Garden faithful. I still would have loved to get Heatly or the other Richards but I know those are pipe dreams, especially that Heatly already has gone.

Devils will be placing Hunter and White on wavers soon...wonder what's up their sleeve?

Nor can I.facepalm.gif
post #6 of 1719
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

Love the new Jets logo. Fuck the haters. I am going to shamelessly bandwagon that shit until they join the Western conference and end up playing my Flames more often. Anyone have any idea on how they're going to shuffle the conferences? Seems like Detroit may finally go east when Winnipeg comes west.

Yea, I like the logo too. Cool that the Rangers get em 4 times this season. I think we're one of the first teams in there too. I'd see Columbus or Nashville move East before Detroit. The Wings have those great rivalries with the Hawks, Blues, Wild and Avs. The Jackets and Preds don't have that history, so it would be easier for them. Plus a Columbus, Pittsburgh rivalry seems to be there already with the cities so close (3 hours right?)
post #7 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post


Yea, I like the logo too. Cool that the Rangers get em 4 times this season. I think we're one of the first teams in there too. I'd see Columbus or Nashville move East before Detroit. The Wings have those great rivalries with the Hawks, Blues, Wild and Avs. The Jackets and Preds don't have that history, so it would be easier for them. Plus a Columbus, Pittsburgh rivalry seems to be there already with the cities so close (3 hours right?)

Yeah, that makes more sense. This is going to be a brutal season of travel for the SE division... Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, and... Winnipeg? Sucks for them.

I'm betting that Weber cashes in with 12 million over 2 years or 6+ million for one year in his arbitration ruling today. Preds have no chance but to bite the bullet on this one, but unless the arbiter has been smoking crack all day they're still going to have one of the league's elite d-men at a reasonable price. IIRC they still need to hit the cap floor too as they've dumped Franson and Lombardi so they should just be happy they have Weber.
post #8 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post


Yeah, that makes more sense. This is going to be a brutal season of travel for the SE division... Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, and... Winnipeg? Sucks for them.

I'm betting that Weber cashes in with 12 million over 2 years or 6+ million for one year in his arbitration ruling today. Preds have no chance but to bite the bullet on this one, but unless the arbiter has been smoking crack all day they're still going to have one of the league's elite d-men at a reasonable price. IIRC they still need to hit the cap floor too as they've dumped Franson and Lombardi so they should just be happy they have Weber.

If the Preds still feel like whining, they should ask themselves how many other teams would pay 6 million for Weber. I bet all 29 teams would jump at the chance of having that guy on their blueline for that price. Just suck it up and pay the money.
post #9 of 1719
Ahaha oh wow, 7.5 million for one year. That's awesome - good for Shea, and good for the Preds since they're now at the salary floor. Two issues: how are they going to re-sign Suter + Rinne next year, and how much did the arbitration poison the well between Weber and Nashville? To take the team's captain and home-grown all-star to arbitration and make a case for how he doesn't deserve more money doesn't seem like an ideal scenario.
post #10 of 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

Ahaha oh wow, 7.5 million for one year. That's awesome - good for Shea, and good for the Preds since they're now at the salary floor. Two issues: how are they going to re-sign Suter + Rinne next year, and how much did the arbitration poison the well between Weber and Nashville? To take the team's captain and home-grown all-star to arbitration and make a case for how he doesn't deserve more money doesn't seem like an ideal scenario.

Arbitration is not a big deal (or at least it doesn't have to be). Plenty of players go to arbitration without any bad blood between themselves and their team. It's simply a mechanism there to help both parties reach a conclusion when they're at an impasse.
post #11 of 1719
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington View Post


Arbitration is not a big deal (or at least it doesn't have to be). Plenty of players go to arbitration without any bad blood between themselves and their team. It's simply a mechanism there to help both parties reach a conclusion when they're at an impasse.

This. I think more is made in the press than between the GM/Player. Sean Avery's must have been hilarious though!
post #12 of 1719
I haven't been keeping up to date the last couple of weeks so I just checked up on my boys on NHLnumbers...

Are you KIDDING me? how does Jannik Hansen only have a 1.35 mil cap hit? I was expecting low 2's! I am ecstatic right now. Best signing of the offseason for us, better than Bieksa. My only qualm is it isn't longer, I would've liked to see a 5 year deal. I know this is the diff between UFA and RFA but I seriously doubt Marco Sturm at 2.25mil is going to be a better player for us this year than Hansen. Basically I am no longer sure that our third line is as good as our fourth line. Forward depth for the win.

Roster time...

Sedin (6.1) Sedin (6.1) Burrows (2.0)
Raymond (2.5) Kesler (5.0) Hodgson (1.8)
Sturm (2.25) Malhotra (2.5) Samuelsson (2.5)
Higgins (1.9) Lapierre (1.0) Hansen (1.35)
*spot open*

36 mil

Bieksa (4.6) Hamhuis (4.5)
Ballard (4.2) Edler (3.25)
Salo (2.0) Rome (.7)
Alberts (1.2)

20.5 mil

Luongo (5.3)
Schneider (.9)

6.2 mil


62.7 mil
1.6 mil cap room
post #13 of 1719
a new season thread already?! nice
post #14 of 1719
The Wild traded away Brent Burns. frown.gif BIG mistake. I don't think Setaguchi can make up for it, particularly since they also traded away Havlat, who was much improved and more consistent the last half of the season.
post #15 of 1719
I really just want the season to start already. I really wonder if the moves the Flyers made are going to pay off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NHL 2011-2012 Thread