or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › faux tuscan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

faux tuscan

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
is anyone else sick of all the faux tuscan construction going on? maybe it's only in california, but here it seems every other building going up is in this style. have all the architects lost their creativity? or does everyone in california wish they were in tuscany?
post #2 of 16
Faux-Tuscan is worthy of any hate speech; it is as false as you can get get without going into Tudor suburbia or "Beaux-Arts" starter castles. Especially offensive are those Napa Valley types and their "Tuscan villas" or some derivation of the Palladian style.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
the place where i get my oil changes is done in this style, as is the 'center' where i buy groceries. it's disgusting.

the look used to be much more prevalent in orange county but it's creeping into l.a. more and more.
post #4 of 16
There is a car-wash/lube/gas station near me which is also Tuscan in flavor. Although honest to God(s), it tastes as well as a sugar-free donut.
post #5 of 16
Even more offensive are the ones that only have partial stone cladding, with exposed cement on the side of the building that is not facing the street. Who do they think they are fooling?
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
There is a car-wash/lube/gas station near me which is also Tuscan in flavor. Although honest to God(s), it tastes as well as a sugar-free donut.

remember that "if you were a terrorist" thread we had? faux tuscan architecture would be on my hit list.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Faux-Tuscan is worthy of any hate speech; it is as false as you can get get without going into Tudor suburbia or "Beaux-Arts" starter castles.

Especially offensive are those Napa Valley types and their "Tuscan villas" or some derivation of the Palladian style.

I'm rather fond of the Tudor style in Sacramento. The faux Tuscan has to go though.
post #8 of 16
I don't disagree, but it seems that historical quotation is inevitable with architecture. It seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

Even when you don't get historical quotation, and somone offers a bit of new "form" to architecture, people once again complain. I'm refering to the current dissention toward someone like Frank Gehry.


It will be interesting to see as contemporary architectural forms break away from "the cube" if they will be accused of copying Gehry?
post #9 of 16
I hate all American-faux-houses.
Imitates the Europe archtictures, it's sicken me quite a bit.
Especially the Beverly Hills mansions, that is really Europe-stolen...
post #10 of 16
Faux-architectures are morally reprehensible.
post #11 of 16
What styles would you like the damn houses to be in? I mean in L.A. you have all sorts of styles of houses, from faux-Tuscan, to ultra-modern all-white and glass houses.

Jon.
post #12 of 16
That's it, post and lintel construction only.
post #13 of 16
I want a house that looks like a gingerbread house. A garden of lollipops too.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I don't disagree, but it seems that historical quotation is inevitable with architecture. It seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

Even when you don't get historical quotation, and somone offers a bit of new "form" to architecture, people once again complain. I'm refering to the current dissention toward someone like Frank Gehry.


It will be interesting to see as contemporary architectural forms break away from "the cube" if they will be accused of copying Gehry?
DP, do you get much of this down your way? Because what people are complaining about here in LA has as much to do with historical quotation in architecture as this
does with sartorial historical quotation. What we're overrun with here is aggressively shoddy, cheap mini-mall quality construction in a faux Tuscan style. If it were just a matter of Tuscan architectural stylings being used out of context, that would be one thing. In LA, you can find examples of pretty much every architectural style used out of context, sometimes to good effect and sometimes not so much. But this is just a bad joke that won't stop. And its very ubiquity obliterates the possibility of it having the kind of tongue-in-cheek (or tongue-in-cheek, as we say at SF) kitschy appeal you might find in, say, a randomly-placed gaudi-inspired dripped-cement AM/PM or a Starbucks sporting a mural of the Sistine Chapel ceiling done in M&M's.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
I'd rather show you around town. You know, a kind of cultural tour of L.A. That's the first fifteen minutes, then what? A cynic. First stop is six blocks. - Why don't we walk? Walk? A walk in L.A.? Architecture. Some of these buildings are over 20 years old! This house is Greek revival. The Greek owner must be revived every day. Here's a Tudor mansion. And a four door mansion. You're nobody in L.A. Unless you live in a house with a big door. Let's go the Museum of Musicology. Verdi's baton. Mozart's quill. Beethoven's balls. I'll take you to the graveyard. Lots of famous people are buried here. Rocky Marciano, Benny Goodman, and William Shakespeare. I think he wrote "Hamlet" Part 2 "The Revenge," here.
..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › faux tuscan