or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread - Page 62

post #916 of 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardB View Post

Oh, I didn't mean to characterize D&S as a complete substitute for Rugby (which it certainly isn't), just for the fit (since the post before my last as well as a few others mentioned it) and a number of pieces, but as you mentioned, that's the case with most RL anyway.  

Regarding the primary Rugby aesthetic, everything you mentioned would be better no doubt (except RRL? I guess the tweeds and whatnot).  I don't care for the prep aesthetic and preferred Rugby's military/heritage offerings, so it's far easier for me to transition to a brand like D&S than someone who wore the tailoring/WASPy stuff. Sorry to cause confusion.

D&S is complete junk. I see these garbage in the outlet 70% off all the times. This label don't even remotely comparable to anything that RL makes. The quality is horrible. The details...what details !
RL had Polo Jeans Co which they shut off and replaced with d&s. Polo Jeans was street ware but some how a bit premium. I have some of their stuffs . And d&s is much cheaper than polo jenas stuffs. But quality and design stuffed. Anytime when I walk in to a rl store I can tell from distance which is d&s becos it looks cheap form miles.
PRL and Rugby is very similar. They use similar styling and materials. But 2 brands where were targeted 2 different markets. For example they would sale 2 jackets one made in Italy in PRL at $1k, where as they would sell the made in China version at Rugby for $400. By doing this PRL didnt have cheapen their images or prices to compete as a company.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #917 of 1557

What RL store do you go in that sells D&S?  It's not meant to compete with upper end RL stuff, it's just mall stuff.

 

Rugby tailoring is on a completely different level than the rest of the brand; whenever I've mentioned Rugby, assume I'm talking about non-tailored stuff.  I wear Rugby button downs because I like the fit (and I'm sure this is the reason many people like the brand) and styling, but I don't find the quality to be all that great and that's where D&S comes in now (for me (and apparently only me), at least) because they're similar fit and that's what I was recommending.  Neither (non-tailored) Rugby nor D&S are particularly remarkable in their construction/quality or anything.  If you're buying Rugby for quality, you're doing it wrong.  I tend to treat both brands as cheap beater clothes until you can actually afford Polo/RRL/whatever you like.


Edited by EdwardB - 11/4/12 at 3:07pm
post #918 of 1557
Why do they even have a d&s line...they had RL Jean co and that flopped and they closed it down...isnt this essentially the same thing...rugby has honestly been my go to brand for the last 5-6 years...and while I dont care for the direction of where the line was going the last year or so they still had great option for casual weekend wear.

Bright chinos before bright chinos were cool and classic patterns for shirts were what kept me shopping there. It doesnt make sense to close for me now when the trad/prep look is in more now then when the store opened on newbury st.

I walk by this store twice every day and will be sad when it is shut down in feb.
post #919 of 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardB View Post

What RL store do you go in that sells D&S?  It's not meant to compete with upper end RL stuff, it's just mall stuff.

Rugby tailoring is on a completely different level than the rest of the brand; whenever I've mentioned Rugby, assume I'm talking about non-tailored stuff.  I wear Rugby button downs because I like the fit (and I'm sure this is the reason many people like the brand) and styling, but I don't find the quality to be all that great and that's where D&S comes in now (for me (and apparently only me), at least) because they're similar fit and that's what I was recommending.  Neither (non-tailored) Rugby nor D&S are particularly remarkable in their construction/quality or anything.  If you're buying Rugby for quality, you're doing it wrong.  I tend to treat both brands as cheap beater clothes until you can actually afford Polo/RRL/whatever you like.
I loved rugby not becos of the quality(even though they had decent quality- some stuffs being made in US/Italy). I loved rugby becos of the fit. I love the PRL styling but they don’t quite fit me. That’s where rugby had an advantage. They had PRL styling with slim fitting. It was a wining combination for me. D&s looks nothing like Rl has ever made…complete junk. Both styling and quality. Even if d&s fits me like bespoke I still won’t wear them. Simply becos that’s not my style. Don’t get me wrong here – there are plenty of stuffs rugby makes I will not wear or buy. I mostly bought rugby sports coats/blazers. For me I could buy a rugby SC not alter in anyway and it would still look MTM.
post #920 of 1557

Yeah, if it's not your thing, cool.  Again, just talking about button down shirting being a suitable, decent fitting alternative to Rugby's heritage stuff, which is what I wore.  Similar quality on those, really.  Obviously if you're into the tailored stuff you're not going to like D&S anyway.  It's fine for me since I like RRL/EG/Visvim/WM but can't afford it.


Edited by EdwardB - 11/4/12 at 6:20pm
post #921 of 1557

looks like they brought back the sweater 30% discount deal

post #922 of 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by albeindc View Post

looks like they brought back the sweater 30% discount deal

Bug, doesn't seem to actually work
post #923 of 1557

Hi!

 

I want to order a Navy Sport Coat from Rugby, but I am a bit unsure about the fit and what size I should order. 

I usually order a 40R from other brands, which fits me perfectly although the sleeve length can sometimes be a few cm too long.

How is the fit of the Rugby Sports coats? I live in Norway so I do not have the opportunity to try one on. I've seen people saying that the fit is very tight and small, and someone writing that the arm length is very long so I would hope to get some extra info from some of you that have such a jacket and know the fit.

 

It would be extremely helpful if someone had a 40R jacket and could provide me with exact measurements or can just comment on the fit in general.

post #924 of 1557
i really liked this brand, its a shame to see it go, i think the price point wasn't high end enough for the trendy folks want that hunting sweater, icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #925 of 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by evac View Post

Hi!

I want to order a Navy Sport Coat from Rugby, but I am a bit unsure about the fit and what size I should order. 
I usually order a 40R from other brands, which fits me perfectly although the sleeve length can sometimes be a few cm too long.
How is the fit of the Rugby Sports coats? I live in Norway so I do not have the opportunity to try one on. I've seen people saying that the fit is very tight and small, and someone writing that the arm length is very long so I would hope to get some extra info from some of you that have such a jacket and know the fit.

It would be extremely helpful if someone had a 40R jacket and could provide me with exact measurements or can just comment on the fit in general.


The fit is tighter than other brands. If you wear a 40R, a 40R will have a tight fit, but should still be good - sizing up will mean you may need to tailor just a tad bit since the sleeves would possibly be long, Although I would think in the chest/shoulders you would be fine. Best way to check is post your measurements and hope someone can compare. Or check measurements of other 40R SCs on eBay (if descriptions show measurements), then compare with your own.
post #926 of 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post


Bug, doesn't seem to actually work

 

i think you're right
 

post #927 of 1557
Rugby Insider code good for additional 20% off instead of 15%. Use code "insiderfall". Good until 11/7.
post #928 of 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez nuts View Post

Rugby Insider code good for additional 20% off instead of 15%. Use code "insiderfall". Good until 11/7.

yup, been going on.

Also 'twinsider' works as well.
post #929 of 1557
Will they bring anymore stuffs for this last season ?
post #930 of 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Will they bring anymore stuffs for this last season ?

Yeah there are w few things they haven't put online yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread