or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread - Page 13

post #181 of 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post

The bastards saw fit to bill me.
Anyway, I was having a discussion with my friend on rugby vs polo. He's of the opinion that rugby and polo are about equal in terms of "quality." We accidentally met while walking to class, so we didn't have time to qualify exactly what 'quality' meant.
How do you guys find it? Generally I like my button downs from rugby better than my PRL ones. The cloth on one of the oxfords is particularly nice. The direction/style/cut seems to be what PRL should be, but can't because it's become so mass market.

I would say they are on equal footing. But in certain aspects one outshines the other. I have one rugby from Rugby and it is a very tough shirt and nice. Whereas my PRL oxford is just a tad bit better quality than the Rugby one. Rugby was made targeting to college/ivy leaguers - it is essentially more of a slim and preppier Polo Ralph Lauren. Polo still makes great suits - but off the rack for someone like me they are just ill fitting even a 36R feels big on me - and not particularly easy to always come by. You'll notice that some swatches, textures, and fabrics used by PRL and Rugby are EXACTLY the same. My friends son had a flannel polo button down, it was the exact same design as my flannel rugby button down - same thickness and quality etc.. only difference was mine had a pocket and his had a Polo logo - also the size but that should be apparent.

So yeah - for the most part they are equal. In terms of Cashmere - Polo > Rugby, in terms of rugbys Rugby > Polo, in terms of ties, dress shirts, belts, hats, pants - Rugby=Polo. I would say in terms of Selvedge Jeans Rugby is close to RRL. They say a pair of selvedge RRL can last 10 years +, I would say my Rugby pair which I have worn for the better part of 1.5 years can last that long especially since so far its still in great quality not a single fray or even suggestion of fray/rips/heavy wear.

About suits.. I guess we'll find out later today when mine comes in. My blue pin-stripe - Made in USA- Rugby suit is quite nice, and I would say on equal footing to PRL suiting, but certain PRL suits just outright beat it in terms of quality.

And yes.. I was finally billed this morning.
post #182 of 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post

The bastards saw fit to bill me.
Anyway, I was having a discussion with my friend on rugby vs polo. He's of the opinion that rugby and polo are about equal in terms of "quality." We accidentally met while walking to class, so we didn't have time to qualify exactly what 'quality' meant.
How do you guys find it? Generally I like my button downs from rugby better than my PRL ones. The cloth on one of the oxfords is particularly nice. The direction/style/cut seems to be what PRL should be, but can't because it's become so mass market.

Are you serious?
post #183 of 1555
pretty sure he's kidding, maybe lighten up a bit
post #184 of 1555
Going on my favorite discussion topic, the (wonderful) world of Ralph Lauren...

When I see the indisputable preppier styling vs PRL (one would have to be blind to miss it:teach:), I wonder if "what might have been" with PRL. In any case...

Having seen a few seasons come out now, I think this line has a more lasting appeal than other youth/collegiate brands. Hollister, American Eagle, Jack Wills, etc etc seem to become young looking. With rugby, assuming you retain the build to fit into the stuff, I don't see a reason why 90% of their pieces couldn't be worn well beyond the campus years.

As for price...

For me, rugby seems to be the better value....at times. In general, apparel enjoys faster, deeper markdowns than Polo. With polo, one can get lucky with outlet trawling or department stores which aggressively discount/coupon stack (Lord & Taylor). I find rugby's prices for belts...extortionate when Lord & Taylor marks PRL belts down to $30 every 6-8 weeks. If the quality of your rugby suits are up to snuff, that would make them, IMO, an exceptional option in their price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Dog Day #49 View Post

pretty sure he's kidding, maybe lighten up a bit

That's about right.
post #185 of 1555
416
263
510
606

Glen Check Two button Suit. 100% Wool Made in Italy. Fit seems nice.. feels comfy and shoulders are ok.

As far as being fully canvassed...NOPE!

It seems the canvas ends at the lower button - still decent for a Half-Canvassed suit but a bit of a letdown. Still think its a great suit none-the-less.

EDIT: Jacket is also a tiny bit shorter than I thought it would be - in the pics it looks very short but that is because of how I am standing.
post #186 of 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

416
263
510
606
Glen Check Two button Suit. 100% Wool Made in Italy. Fit seems nice.. feels comfy and shoulders are ok.
As far as being fully canvassed...NOPE!
It seems the canvas ends at the lower button - still decent for a Half-Canvassed suit but a bit of a letdown. Still think its a great suit none-the-less.
EDIT: Jacket is also a tiny bit shorter than I thought it would be - in the pics it looks very short but that is because of how I am standing.

man, that looks good on u, even before u take them to a tailor. in fact, it looked to me u prolly don't need to take them to a tailor. now i know that for the next sale like this i'll need to pick up at least one suit.
post #187 of 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv2177 View Post

man, that looks good on u, even before u take them to a tailor. in fact, it looked to me u prolly don't need to take them to a tailor. now i know that for the next sale like this i'll need to pick up at least one suit.

Thanks. That's why I stick to RL hehe, I know it fits me well before having to get it tailored so not too much work has to get done.. still a bit angry its not full canvass, but I can't complain, for a $400 half-canvassed Caruso suit, it is not bad at all.
post #188 of 1555
sorry havent followed this thread in awhile

whats the diff between the rugby italy and the USA blazers/suiting? and reasons to pay more for the italy ones?
post #189 of 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude View Post

sorry havent followed this thread in awhile
whats the diff between the rugby italy and the USA blazers/suiting? and reasons to pay more for the italy ones?

The Made in Italy ones that are found in the 'Haberdashery Shop' section are made through Rafael Caruso - who currently makes the RLBL suits (At least the suits are). I thought based on Rugby and FE Castleberry's blogs that they were all fully canvassed but it seems they are Half-Canvassed - the canvass ending at bottom button, unless I'm pinching wrong but I can feel the loss of middle layer when pinch testing below the bottom button
post #190 of 1555
ok was wondering why everyone was throwing around caruso's name. didnt realize he did rugby now

who makes the usa suiting then?
post #191 of 1555
Some great deals to be had here.

Thinking about picking up some chinos and a couple shirts, maybe a sweater. I hear that the Vintage Chino University Pant runs TTS, so 33 = 33w and any idea how the thigh fits? or leg opening?

Not sure about the shirt fits either, i've got a 38' chest so medium or small?
post #192 of 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosiahS View Post

Some great deals to be had here.
Thinking about picking up some chinos and a couple shirts, maybe a sweater. I hear that the Vintage Chino University Pant runs TTS, so 33 = 33w and any idea how the thigh fits? or leg opening?
Not sure about the shirt fits either, i've got a 38' chest so medium or small?

i just got my 34x32 in yesterday i can post measurement for you when i get home tonight. i am a true 40 chest and got some univ. oxford in medium and they fit slim and nice.
post #193 of 1555
Great, i'll hold off until tonight. Thanks!
post #194 of 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosiahS View Post

Great, i'll hold off until tonight. Thanks!

on my 34x32

Waist: 17"
thigh: 12.5"
Knee: ~9"
Hem: ~8"
inseam is a little shorter at 31", but then again it works nice for me cuz it is now shows just no break in btwn my shoes and hem, which i like it.
post #195 of 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv2177 View Post

i just got my 34x32 in yesterday i can post measurement for you when i get home tonight. i am a true 40 chest and got some univ. oxford in medium and they fit slim and nice.

tv2177 can you post measurements on the M? Are all their shirts cut the same size or dependent on style? Namor posted these for a L workshirt, not sure if this is typical Rugby fit:

Chest: 23.5
Shoulder: 18
Length: 29
Sleeve Length: 25.5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread