or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread - Page 97

post #1441 of 1547
I think an email about the new Greyers line would make much more sense.
post #1442 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by albeindc View Post

........1 orange covered thermos

All-in-all satisfied with that haul. Would love to snatch up a couple more items later this month, but I seriously need to keep my spending in check. I justify it as "they'll never be around again so might as well go for it".

Hi

 

Out of curiosity, did your orange covered thermos come with a thermos or was it just the cover?  

I received mine this weekend and it was just the cover.  I am finding this a bit absurd and wanted to know if you had the same experience.

 

thanks

 

G

post #1443 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillamin View Post

Hi

 

Out of curiosity, did your orange covered thermos come with a thermos or was it just the cover?  

I received mine this weekend and it was just the cover.  I am finding this a bit absurd and wanted to know if you had the same experience.

 

thanks

 

G


Yup, it's just the cover/carrier. You'll have to purchase your own thermos.

post #1444 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillamin View Post

Hi

Out of curiosity, did your orange covered thermos come with a thermos or was it just the cover?  
I received mine this weekend and it was just the cover.  I am finding this a bit absurd and wanted to know if you had the same experience.

thanks

G

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeindc View Post


Yup, it's just the cover/carrier. You'll have to purchase your own thermos.

Same here.
post #1445 of 1547
It looks like F.E. Castleberry is starting his own line soon. He mentioned in some ways it will fill the void of what Rugby left behind.

If anyone can do that its him. Looking forward to that.
post #1446 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

It looks like F.E. Castleberry is starting his own line soon. He mentioned in some ways it will fill the void of what Rugby left behind.

If anyone can do that its him. Looking forward to that.

 

Will look forward to that bigstar[1].gif Curious how he's going to pull it off, since he's a blogger by trade

post #1447 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by albeindc View Post

Will look forward to that bigstar%5B1%5D.gif Curious how he's going to pull it off, since he's a blogger by trade

I think you underestimate him. Before he was a blogger/photographer he was in investment banking, irregardless of all that he has a keen interest in this and has worked on several other projects that have turned into products. He knows his stuff and he worked as a 'Concept Designer' of sorts for Rugby RL.

In my opinion he's already pulling it off. Now I'm more curious as to what his line will consist of and at what type of quality and price points.
post #1448 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

I think you underestimate him. Before he was a blogger/photographer he was in investment banking, irregardless of all that he has a keen interest in this and has worked on several other projects that have turned into products. He knows his stuff and he worked as a 'Concept Designer' of sorts for Rugby RL.

In my opinion he's already pulling it off. Now I'm more curious as to what his line will consist of and at what type of quality and price points.

What are we looking at for a time frame? Ive been following his blog since early 2010.
post #1449 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

What are we looking at for a time frame? Ive been following his blog since early 2010.

He's had a few products he's featured on his blog, designed by him, sold by a major retailer. The one that comes to mind is the Del Toro slippers he had made. http://www.unabashedlyprep.com/site/entry/f.e.-castleberry-for-del-toro/

I remember there was a line of shirts that he had considerable input on, but can't remember from where.

Quote:
As most of you know, I've been making my living with my camera for the past five years. I realize how fortunate I am—doing something I love and actually making a career of it. Only a small percentage of people get to do that. I've been on the other side—I've put 10,000 hours into something I felt nothing for (nobody says, "I want to be a banker when I grow up"). So don't think for one second a day goes by without me thanking God each morning I get to continue doing what I do.


That and a few interviews spell it out
post #1450 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post


I think you underestimate him. Before he was a blogger/photographer he was in investment banking, irregardless of all that he has a keen interest in this and has worked on several other projects that have turned into products. He knows his stuff and he worked as a 'Concept Designer' of sorts for Rugby RL.

In my opinion he's already pulling it off. Now I'm more curious as to what his line will consist of and at what type of quality and price points.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post


He's had a few products he's featured on his blog, designed by him, sold by a major retailer. The one that comes to mind is the Del Toro slippers he had made. http://www.unabashedlyprep.com/site/entry/f.e.-castleberry-for-del-toro/

I remember there was a line of shirts that he had considerable input on, but can't remember from where.




That and a few interviews spell it out

 

Ah ok, did not know that! Very cool stuff. I'm guessing he's not going to do so much with patches as he is with patterns and colorways. I'm seeing some embellished oxfords and patterned cords that would fit into his style.

post #1451 of 1547

Talked with my ex-girlfriend yesterday. She works for RL and travels the country keeping an eye on and setting up stores.

Told her of my deep disappointment about Rugby and she said, "It was very, very sad. I've known about it for a year but I obviously couldn't say anything.

Nobody out there cared. It was bleeding the company dry."

 

We cared. Looks like there just wasn't enough of us.

post #1452 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trad and Plaid View Post

Talked with my ex-girlfriend yesterday. She works for RL and travels the country keeping an eye on and setting up stores.
Told her of my deep disappointment about Rugby and she said, "It was very, very sad. I've known about it for a year but I obviously couldn't say anything.
Nobody out there cared. It was bleeding the company dry."

We cared. Looks like there just wasn't enough of us.

Yeah I've known about it a couple quarters before they announced it would close, a friend spilled the beans to me, but it was sort of privilege so never shared it. Anyway, I wouldn't say it was bleeding the company dry, it was too small to do that, but it definitely wasn't given the attention to be a success.
post #1453 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trad and Plaid View Post

Talked with my ex-girlfriend yesterday. She works for RL and travels the country keeping an eye on and setting up stores.

Told her of my deep disappointment about Rugby and she said, "It was very, very sad. I've known about it for a year but I obviously couldn't say anything.

Nobody out there cared. It was bleeding the company dry."

 

We cared. Looks like there just wasn't enough of us.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post


Yeah I've known about it a couple quarters before they announced it would close, a friend spilled the beans to me, but it was sort of privilege so never shared it. Anyway, I wouldn't say it was bleeding the company dry, it was too small to do that, but it definitely wasn't given the attention to be a success.

 

I think one of the arguments made by most people against Rugby was that the quality of their items did not necessarily live up to the perceived high price tag. There are many exceptions though, such as the early suiting, ties, or slippers, for example. Some of my friends (both guys and girls) have told me personally that they never really liked the quality of the fabrics or that it looked/felt cheap to them considering the price. This is coming from people my age (early-mid twenties fresh out of college) who actually can afford higher priced items. I agree with them regarding the rugby shirts - I was slightly disappointed with the one rugby I ordered recently. The material was so thin and didn't feel substantial in my hands, at least not what I was expecting.

 

I think if they had invested a bit more into using more substantial materials for the rugby shirts (supposed to be their bread and butter right?), they could have attracted a larger base to increase turnover.

post #1454 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by albeindc View Post

I think if they had invested a bit more into using more substantial materials for the rugby shirts (supposed to be their bread and butter right?), they could have attracted a larger base to increase turnover.

I don't think the rugby shirts were the bread and butter of Rugby RL. What probably started to happen is a declining budget, causing them to turn to lower quality fabrics. All the rugby shirts I've handled were pretty thick and tough, like I can slide on asphalt on them and they wouldn't rip (to an extent).

All my suiting has been pretty great, quality for the price seems right. I've never encountered anything that was overpriced to the point that the quality was worse than PRL.

Anyway, there is a list of reasons, I would say perception, lack of exposure, unfavorable marketing, and a few more things not price related were more influential on the demise. Quality and Price were on par with J Crew, plus and minus. Only difference, J Crew was much better exposed, dedicated itself in marketing, and perception was that it was something much more casual and obtainable for the average person.

Another perception would be: Why buy from Rugby when you can buy from Polo? Isn't it the same thing? Polo must be better since Rugby is for kids in college... Why would kids in college wear the stuff Rugby sells, they are just going to buy the cheaper items which are basically copies of the Polo Ralph Lauren items but different branding... My father shops at Brooks Brothers, so I shop there too... If I wanted a preppy look, there are proper establishments that have been around for generations and have exceedingly higher quality items.

Those thoughts are the thoughts I have experienced first hand. People just did not understand it. Either they thought it was over the top, trying too hard to be preppy, pretender's brand, etc.. My own father thought it was a gimmick and wouldn't last long. He would still insist on shopping Brooks Brothers for myself, I'd have to buy all my clothes on my own during college because he refused to pay for Rugby, but he'd be happy to get me into a Brooks Brothers shirt or jacket.

Anyway, I say we turn this thread into a "I found this item that could possibly have been in the Rugby line"

I'll start:

Whale embroidered shorts, these look great!

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17817436&prodFindSrc=cart&sProdEvar=Shopping+Bag
post #1455 of 1547
if anyone is looking for the stadium jacket in a S, msg me. i wore it once and realized it was a bit too long for me. i am 5'6"-5'7" if that helps.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread