Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- New slim fit suit, does it fit? Last post on 3/30/11 at 9:55pm in Classic Menswear
- I used to be a Pimp... Childhood Photo Last post on 5/8/11 at 5:40pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:58 pm in Classic Menswear
- Is reweaving worth it? - Pictures Last post on 7/22/12 at 8:38pm in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Barba Napoli or Modern Tailor???post #1 of 147/28/11 at 6:51amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 147/28/11 at 9:05ampost #3 of 147/28/11 at 9:06ampost #4 of 147/28/11 at 9:23amI'm in a similar position and have tried both. The Barba shirt was really nice and the MOP buttons were incredible, although I guess the slimness issue is relative; in my case, I would have needed to have my tailor slim it down a ways. MT does a really nice job too, and I think there is some appeal in being able to specify every feature. You might also look at MyTailor. I'm still waiting for my first from them, but at the higher-end fabric range, I think their prices are possibly even better than ModernTailor and they seem to have more fabrics, or at least more that appeal to me. I returned my Barba shirt, but am thinking of giving it another shot with tailoring. What stores carry Barba? I'll order from Ian eventually, but I feel like a jerk returning stuff to him so it would be ideal to try somewhere first.post #5 of 147/28/11 at 9:23ampost #6 of 147/28/11 at 9:33amI add that, although I love Barba as I said, the fitting of a MTM shirt (or bespoke for that matter) is much better. I always have to tailor Barba shirts on the sleeves. So at the end the price for a Barba shirt is higher than a good MTM shirt.
That being said, unless you go bespoke or go to a very specialized shirtmaker, the handwork and attention to details is a lot better in a Barba shirt. That's actually what makes their shirts so great.post #7 of 147/28/11 at 9:37ampost #8 of 147/28/11 at 10:50amThread Starterpost #9 of 147/28/11 at 10:52amThread Starterpost #10 of 147/28/11 at 11:43am
Actually you can find this information in his website, as he measures every item. In the shirt's page go to the box on the right of the picture and click on "DETAILS". There you'll find all the information you needpost #11 of 147/28/11 at 3:20pmThread StarterQuote:
Got it! Thanks so much for my oversight. I appreciate it.post #12 of 148/23/11 at 9:11am
The Barba shirts are awesome, i only wear barba shirts,the key is the shoulder fit, they have kind of unique shoulders, looks like your shoulders have polster in it. the white slim label is just perfect for me, the black is a bit to slim.I wear them with used effect jeans and over the jeans, not inside, the small white gussetts look great, similar to borelli. They also have a "dandy" line, which are retro shirts.post #13 of 1412/26/11 at 9:40amJust bought a Barba 17/43 from Ian while I was in LA. Hubbab hubba. Talk about fit. My 17/43 Borrelli fits a lot looser. The Barba is exceptional.
Someone mentioned about wonderful shoulder fit - how true. Anyway...while I was there, I tried on several other styles - Finamore, etc. and got my sizes for future orders. But yeah, Barba is just impressive. I have a MTM from someplace in Thailand and it fits me like a second skin - a tad too tight. My two cents.
If anyone has some feedback on Finamore, please PM me. Thanks and Happy New Year, you little consumers.Shop on!post #14 of 1412/26/11 at 10:12pm
Before you email Ian you might wish to click on "details" on the particular shirt as it appears on
the WebSite. This has the added benefit of validating your presumably self-assigned sobriquet,
"Learn-O- Rama" !
An example ( not your size):
Edited by comrade - 12/26/11 at 10:38pm
- Barba Napoli or Modern Tailor???
Styleforum Top Picks
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
- › Things you just don't get 7 seconds ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 25 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 9 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 10 minutes ago
- › Desperately in need of a new dress shirt brand... 11 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 12 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 14 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...