Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- New slim fit suit, does it fit? Last post on 3/30/11 at 9:55pm in Classic Menswear
- I used to be a Pimp... Childhood Photo Last post on 5/8/11 at 5:40pm in Classic Menswear
- Is reweaving worth it? - Pictures Last post on 7/22/12 at 8:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Barba Napoli or Modern Tailor???post #1 of 147/28/11 at 6:51amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 147/28/11 at 9:05ampost #3 of 147/28/11 at 9:06ampost #4 of 147/28/11 at 9:23amI'm in a similar position and have tried both. The Barba shirt was really nice and the MOP buttons were incredible, although I guess the slimness issue is relative; in my case, I would have needed to have my tailor slim it down a ways. MT does a really nice job too, and I think there is some appeal in being able to specify every feature. You might also look at MyTailor. I'm still waiting for my first from them, but at the higher-end fabric range, I think their prices are possibly even better than ModernTailor and they seem to have more fabrics, or at least more that appeal to me. I returned my Barba shirt, but am thinking of giving it another shot with tailoring. What stores carry Barba? I'll order from Ian eventually, but I feel like a jerk returning stuff to him so it would be ideal to try somewhere first.post #5 of 147/28/11 at 9:23ampost #6 of 147/28/11 at 9:33amI add that, although I love Barba as I said, the fitting of a MTM shirt (or bespoke for that matter) is much better. I always have to tailor Barba shirts on the sleeves. So at the end the price for a Barba shirt is higher than a good MTM shirt.
That being said, unless you go bespoke or go to a very specialized shirtmaker, the handwork and attention to details is a lot better in a Barba shirt. That's actually what makes their shirts so great.post #7 of 147/28/11 at 9:37ampost #8 of 147/28/11 at 10:50amThread Starterpost #9 of 147/28/11 at 10:52amThread Starterpost #10 of 147/28/11 at 11:43am
Actually you can find this information in his website, as he measures every item. In the shirt's page go to the box on the right of the picture and click on "DETAILS". There you'll find all the information you needpost #11 of 147/28/11 at 3:20pmThread StarterQuote:
Got it! Thanks so much for my oversight. I appreciate it.post #12 of 148/23/11 at 9:11am
The Barba shirts are awesome, i only wear barba shirts,the key is the shoulder fit, they have kind of unique shoulders, looks like your shoulders have polster in it. the white slim label is just perfect for me, the black is a bit to slim.I wear them with used effect jeans and over the jeans, not inside, the small white gussetts look great, similar to borelli. They also have a "dandy" line, which are retro shirts.post #13 of 1412/26/11 at 9:40amJust bought a Barba 17/43 from Ian while I was in LA. Hubbab hubba. Talk about fit. My 17/43 Borrelli fits a lot looser. The Barba is exceptional.
Someone mentioned about wonderful shoulder fit - how true. Anyway...while I was there, I tried on several other styles - Finamore, etc. and got my sizes for future orders. But yeah, Barba is just impressive. I have a MTM from someplace in Thailand and it fits me like a second skin - a tad too tight. My two cents.
If anyone has some feedback on Finamore, please PM me. Thanks and Happy New Year, you little consumers.Shop on!post #14 of 1412/26/11 at 10:12pm
Before you email Ian you might wish to click on "details" on the particular shirt as it appears on
the WebSite. This has the added benefit of validating your presumably self-assigned sobriquet,
"Learn-O- Rama" !
An example ( not your size):
Edited by comrade - 12/26/11 at 10:38pm
- Barba Napoli or Modern Tailor???
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Things your dumb friends post on facebook 22 seconds ago
- › Cars We Drive! 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 3 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)