Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- New slim fit suit, does it fit? Last post on 3/30/11 at 9:55pm in Classic Menswear
- I used to be a Pimp... Childhood Photo Last post on 5/8/11 at 5:40pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:10 pm in Classic Menswear
- Is reweaving worth it? - Pictures Last post on 7/22/12 at 8:38pm in Classic Menswear
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s Clobber in It Happened...Last edited: 3/9/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Barba Napoli or Modern Tailor???post #1 of 147/28/11 at 6:51amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 147/28/11 at 9:05ampost #3 of 147/28/11 at 9:06ampost #4 of 147/28/11 at 9:23amI'm in a similar position and have tried both. The Barba shirt was really nice and the MOP buttons were incredible, although I guess the slimness issue is relative; in my case, I would have needed to have my tailor slim it down a ways. MT does a really nice job too, and I think there is some appeal in being able to specify every feature. You might also look at MyTailor. I'm still waiting for my first from them, but at the higher-end fabric range, I think their prices are possibly even better than ModernTailor and they seem to have more fabrics, or at least more that appeal to me. I returned my Barba shirt, but am thinking of giving it another shot with tailoring. What stores carry Barba? I'll order from Ian eventually, but I feel like a jerk returning stuff to him so it would be ideal to try somewhere first.post #5 of 147/28/11 at 9:23ampost #6 of 147/28/11 at 9:33amI add that, although I love Barba as I said, the fitting of a MTM shirt (or bespoke for that matter) is much better. I always have to tailor Barba shirts on the sleeves. So at the end the price for a Barba shirt is higher than a good MTM shirt.
That being said, unless you go bespoke or go to a very specialized shirtmaker, the handwork and attention to details is a lot better in a Barba shirt. That's actually what makes their shirts so great.post #7 of 147/28/11 at 9:37ampost #8 of 147/28/11 at 10:50amThread Starterpost #9 of 147/28/11 at 10:52amThread Starterpost #10 of 147/28/11 at 11:43am
Actually you can find this information in his website, as he measures every item. In the shirt's page go to the box on the right of the picture and click on "DETAILS". There you'll find all the information you needpost #11 of 147/28/11 at 3:20pmThread StarterQuote:
Got it! Thanks so much for my oversight. I appreciate it.post #12 of 148/23/11 at 9:11am
The Barba shirts are awesome, i only wear barba shirts,the key is the shoulder fit, they have kind of unique shoulders, looks like your shoulders have polster in it. the white slim label is just perfect for me, the black is a bit to slim.I wear them with used effect jeans and over the jeans, not inside, the small white gussetts look great, similar to borelli. They also have a "dandy" line, which are retro shirts.post #13 of 1412/26/11 at 9:40amJust bought a Barba 17/43 from Ian while I was in LA. Hubbab hubba. Talk about fit. My 17/43 Borrelli fits a lot looser. The Barba is exceptional.
Someone mentioned about wonderful shoulder fit - how true. Anyway...while I was there, I tried on several other styles - Finamore, etc. and got my sizes for future orders. But yeah, Barba is just impressive. I have a MTM from someplace in Thailand and it fits me like a second skin - a tad too tight. My two cents.
If anyone has some feedback on Finamore, please PM me. Thanks and Happy New Year, you little consumers.Shop on!post #14 of 1412/26/11 at 10:12pm
Before you email Ian you might wish to click on "details" on the particular shirt as it appears on
the WebSite. This has the added benefit of validating your presumably self-assigned sobriquet,
"Learn-O- Rama" !
An example ( not your size):
Edited by comrade - 12/26/11 at 10:38pm
- Barba Napoli or Modern Tailor???
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › Double Breasted Style. 2 seconds ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 5 seconds ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › CTShirts - current quality and alternatives? 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 1 minute ago
- › TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread 1 minute ago
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 2 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...