• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations Tailor in Melbourne

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can any members recommend a good alterations tailor in Melbourne, preferably in the conservative business dress?

I have some unfinished slacks that need hemming, and a RTW shirt that the sleeves need shortening on.

Thanks.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
avoid the little old Turkish guy in Toorak Village. Butcher.

No one else to suggest though, sorry.

misterjase

Reaction score
I can recommend Adriano Carbone to you for alterations to trousers, jackets and, he has told me, shirts. He is in Elizabeth Street (between Collins Street and Little Collins Street).

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Katrina's in Liverpool St (or Lane or something) off Bourke St at the top end. She is brilliant and cheap.

misterjase

Reaction score
Spectre, I presume you mean Katrina's for trousers and shirts. What about jackets?
Can you elaborate on what alterations you have had them do for you?

misterjase

Reaction score
who else do people use for alterations to jackets (the difficult stuff)?

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by misterjase
Spectre, I presume you mean Katrina's for trousers and shirts. What about jackets?
Can you elaborate on what alterations you have had them do for you?

I hope you don't mind me answering a question addressed to someone else on this forum, but I have experience of Kim altering a number of my jackets. She has taken in, and taken out, the side seams of a few of my jackets, shortened the sleeves, shortened a sports coat, and even re-worked the shoulders of a suit jacket (making it less structured). All of the work performed by her has been top quality. Hope this helps.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
Adriano carbone, Melbourne conservative business dress. did alterations to the back of an overcoat for me, he's fantastic. have also heard that other bespoke firms have outsourced to him to fix up their errors.
give him a call

redmania

Reaction score
I am going to ask Adriano to fix up the sleeves and shoulders on my recent Crombie purchase. Can I trust him?

Confucius

Reaction score
Adrian can definitely be trusted. He knows what he's talking about. Shoulders might be an expensive job with him though.

If you do a search you'll see his name pop up as a recommended tailor in a number of threads.

Tarlee

Reaction score
Another vote for Katrina's. Last week I had a cashmere sports coat lengthened in the sleeves. It required all the fabric there was, an extra piece of lining sown in and buttons moved down. That was $40. Also had the side seems taken in - $50. Adriano hemmed some trousers. Can't go wrong there. And, yes, he's a nice guy. His father completely resized an older DB. Dad's style might be old school but he did a terrific job.

What you're after -- hems and shorter shirt sleeves -- is super simple.

redmania

Reaction score
I have a lovely wool coat that needs the arms shortening by an inch and narrowing slightly. Some attention may be needed for the shoulders. I love the coat and want to make 100% sure that someone does not stuff it up.

ricotta

Reaction score
Katrina's is great. i just had half a dozen shirts taken in at the waist (side seams, darts), and expect to do another half dozen there.

ApplesHK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ricotta
Katrina's is great. i just had half a dozen shirts taken in at the waist (side seams, darts), and expect to do another half dozen there.

I remember that David Jones used a tailor in a lane off Bourke Street (Pellegrino Cafe corner).
The DJ menswear dept always used this tailor shop. This was in my Melbourne days (10 years ago) but worth a look. It was always my tailor for alterations. Can't remember the name I regret to say.

Tarlee

Reaction score
DJ's uses Expert Alterations in the Royal Arcade.

Pellegrinis is on the corner of Crossley Street - the tailor Charles Maimone is in Crossley a few doors from the corner. Katrina's is in Liverpool Street, the next laneway east (towards Spring Street). There are only a few shops between Crossley and Liverpool and they look very similar. Easy to confuse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads