or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What kind of men can wear Ascots gracefully on daily basis?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What kind of men can wear Ascots gracefully on daily basis? - Page 2

Poll Results: Do you think ascots look good on men?

Poll expired: May 22, 2012  
  • 54% (23)
    YES
  • 40% (17)
    NO
  • 4% (2)
    NOT SURE
42 Total Votes  
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbw View Post


Not true. The beast/prince from beauty and the beast pulls it off.

Make that 3.
post #17 of 54
Cary Grant rocks a red with white polka dots Ascot in 'To Catch a Thief'.

500

and a bow tie too for that matter (re: yo other thread)

500
post #18 of 54
That's not actually an ascot in To Catch a Thief, but he did wear them. I think the picture below left is from The Awful Truth. 500
post #19 of 54
First off, I don't see the need to bash the OP. The board has been crawling all summer, and to his credit he is trying some new threads, (albeit a few too many).
That aside, it would be nice to see more responses with useful information.
The purpose of the ascot today would be to conceal the neck and therefore to offer a more youthful appearance on an older gentleman.
They can either look great or garrish and seldom inbetween. They are an accessory better used by a man with the experience and discipline to dress well.
post #20 of 54
I don't think it is about experience and discipline. There is a reason why all the pictures being found are so old, and M.Caine, I think, was wearing it at least half-ironically even back in the 60s or early 70s or whenever that picture is from. There are a lot of class associations involved. In the US or a commonwealth country it is an item with too much (somewhat unpredictable) semiotic content. Most of that content has an affected or goofy flavor to it. There may be a slim minority (in the US, not the UK) who would label it "classy" because of the English aristocracy overtones but that is not the target audience of most posters here. It is too much of an affectation; It has become costume; there is a high-likelihood people will think you are a stuck-up fool.
post #21 of 54
Doesn't that just suck though? I mean, I take your point, I think you're 100% correct there, but it's lame that this is the case. Looking at the ascot/cravat objectively there's really nothing wrong with it, it's a perfectly serviceable item of clothing.

One of the things I find difficult with this, and I don't want to sound too much like a politician here, is that we forget we have the capability to change things, or at least to try.

If everyone who reads SF (reads, not is a member) went out wearing an ascot with an F U attitude tomorrow what kind of difference might that make in the common conception?

Perhaps not much, but it would be interesting to see.

I say this because other typically 'archaic' items seem to have the same problem, I mentioned classic hats before, a number of surveys, blogs, internet poasts and so on, suggest that most men would love to wear them but refrain because they're not commonly worn by others. "I'd wear them if I saw more other guys wearing them" is an oft-heard phrase. This could be true of many 'long lost' items of attire, including the ascot.
Edited by Spong - 7/28/11 at 4:14am
post #22 of 54
I used to wear ascots and suits to school. Call me an asshole.
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboycom View Post

I used to wear ascots and suits to school. Call me an asshole.

plain.gif

lol
post #24 of 54
Pic on the left is from TCaT, the picnic scene
post #25 of 54
Jerome.. as you can see, the ascot is acceptable, but only when you tug it in your shirt and have it fold out slightly... I know you are asking this question because you have an obsession with ascots falling above the shirt, but that is tacky and over the top.

Please don't think any of us mean you should wear a long ascot (about the length of a scarf) tied around your neck hanging over your shirt, as your much cherished Pierre-Alexis Dumas does.
post #26 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

Jerome.. as you can see, the ascot is acceptable, but only when you tug it in your shirt and have it fold out slightly... I know you are asking this question because you have an obsession with ascots falling above the shirt, but that is tacky and over the top.

Please don't think any of us mean you should wear a long ascot (about the length of a scarf) tied around your neck hanging over your shirt, as your much cherished Pierre-Alexis Dumas does.

sometimes it´s good to try new fashions
post #27 of 54

weather permitting  and by that I mean anything under 100, I wear them often.  Maybe not daily bet a few times a week.  I even wear them to the office, on occassion

post #28 of 54
Ascots are hard to pull of properly.
post #29 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillus View Post

Ascots are hard to pull of properly.

why is that?
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromestyle View Post


why is that?

Because they look affected...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What kind of men can wear Ascots gracefully on daily basis?