or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Helping the less fortunate: Yea or Nay?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Helping the less fortunate: Yea or Nay? - Page 2

post #16 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post

We’ve all been in this position; You pull up to a red light, look to your right, and see a homeless man asking for some spare change. What do you do?

I've seen some of the same people on street corners and at intersections for many years now. They seem to own those particular places where they set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post

Story that sort of related:

The other day I was at gas station at around 2300 and some guy came up to me asking for some money because his daughter was blah blah blah.
I've heard various versions of this same story for many years. I fell for it once when a lady came to me in need. I saw her later that day at a different location using a different story. Since then, I've seen her quite a few times around the city asking for money.
post #17 of 73
John Stossel panhandled for a day to see how much $ he could make: Start at 1:45
post #18 of 73
There are many private charities with which I'm willing to volunteer my time or to which I'll donate money. That's the best way to go about helping disadvantaged people. However, individuals on the street rarely get sympathy from me. There are countless ways for them to improve their situation--such as the aforementioned charities--but they refuse to do so because it's difficult and requires effort from them. If they're not willing to help themselves, then why should I help them? I'll recommend someplace to go for help, and a few times I've handed them some left-over food I would have thrown away otherwise.... but giving cash is something I'd rather not do.
post #19 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Depends on my mood and if I have any small bills on me.

sometimes homeless people just put in a foul mood. seriously they need to get off their ass and actually do something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy4500 View Post

There are many private charities with which I'm willing to volunteer my time or to which I'll donate money. That's the best way to go about helping disadvantaged people. However, individuals on the street rarely get sympathy from me. There are countless ways for them to improve their situation--such as the aforementioned charities--but they refuse to do so because it's difficult and requires effort from them. If they're not willing to help themselves, then why should I help them? I'll recommend someplace to go for help, and a few times I've handed them some left-over food I would have thrown away otherwise.... but giving cash is something I'd rather not do.

this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post

John Stossel panhandled for a day to see how much $ he could make: Start at 1:45

that was excellent. I can't believe they actually followed the girl. even more incredible was her attitude towards freeloading. what a brat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chu View Post

This is actually a running con a lot of druggies use around certain areas I travel in between. They will tell you the same sad story the next day (majority of the time they will not recognize you) and expect that you to hand them money for "gas" or w/e.

How do you say no?


I remember when this happened. I haven't heard from the guy lately but he got alot of attention.
post #20 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post

John Stossel panhandled for a day to see how much $ he could make: Start at 1:45

Interesting clip, does anyone else find Stossel's speaking mannerisms annoying? He's like a midwestern Jerry Seinfeld.
post #21 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower View Post


Interesting clip, does anyone else find Stossel's speaking mannerisms annoying? He's like a midwestern Jerry Seinfeld.

I think people like that about him


The homeless guy saying he wouldn't flip burgers because it is a monotonous job just cracks me up biggrin.gif


I think Charles Barkley has been made fun of by his famous friends because he yells at homeless people and tells them if they can ask for money they can ask people at McDonald's what they want to order. Absolutely refuses to give them $


I rarely give money but if someone tells me they're hungry and asks me for food I will go out of my way to get it for them.
post #22 of 73
we've got lots of panhandlers/beggars here. quite frankly I'm jaded with a lot of them- being able bodied and all, begging for money. I've also encountered disabled beggars, usually the blind or crippled, being led by an otherwise healthy companion and I think wouldn't it be fucking better for the companion to just get a job and leave the disabled person in their place? btw, asia (meaning most countries that have beggars) is full of "professional beggars" and there are even documented reports of groups of them handled by crime syndicates. the older acidkid asked me once regarding giving money to them, and I told her if we want to help- giving to groups/organizations that help the less fortunate is always a better option.
post #23 of 73
A woman in Berkeley came up to me and asked for money to help her buy a house in Blackhawk, a Bay Area development filled with oversized McMansions. I told her she had a future in comedy and handed her a bill.

I typically don't give money to panhandlers, but on occasion I have. I would like to think that they will make good use of it ... but once it's in their hands, it's up to them. It's a gift ... and a gift doesn't come with strings attached.

Generally I prefer to give through organized charity or by volunteering my time and money at a local meals program. One such program in Berkeley is Hot Meals for the Hungry. Those attending are seated, and we serve them dinner restaurant style. There is often someone playing classical or jazz piano. Being Berkeley, we occasionally get a few people who are less than stable, but most people aren't that different from those of us serving them.
post #24 of 73
Nine times out of ten, if I am not at a green light and I have my wallet handy, I will usually give up 5 or 10 bucks. Throw in a "homeless veteran" sign and I'll usually make it a twenty (there's a lesson there to all you potential future panhandlers). I really don't have any moral qualms about what the money is spent on. Seriously, you see these folks standing out there in the fucking 100 degree heat and humidity on blacktop all day. That's hard enough work to earn my ten bucks.
post #25 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

A woman in Berkeley came up to me and asked for money to help her buy a house in Blackhawk, a Bay Area development filled with oversized McMansions. I told her she had a future in comedy and handed her a bill.

I typically don't give money to panhandlers, but on occasion I have. I would like to think that they will make good use of it ... but once it's in their hands, it's up to them. It's a gift ... and a gift doesn't come with strings attached.

Generally I prefer to give through organized charity or by volunteering my time and money at a local meals program. One such program in Berkeley is Hot Meals for the Hungry. Those attending are seated, and we serve them dinner restaurant style. There is often someone playing classical or jazz piano. Being Berkeley, we occasionally get a few people who are less than stable, but most people aren't that different from those of us serving them.
would that be the peeps from the uni?

I've heard that some mendicants can make a decent living, but that's wonderfully aspirational. I always feel that the personal cost to the beggar''s self-esteem must be pretty high. They wouldn't do it unless they really needed the money surely.
post #26 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

Generally I prefer to give through organized charity or by volunteering my time and money at a local meals program. One such program in Berkeley is Hot Meals for the Hungry. Those attending are seated, and we serve them dinner restaurant style. There is often someone playing classical or jazz piano. Being Berkeley, we occasionally get a few people who are less than stable, but most people aren't that different from those of us serving them.

I would be more inclined to help (read: give a dollar or two) a homeless man/beggar out if he was entertaining (like telling me a joke or holding up a funny sign). He wins, I win, really don't see any problem here. And does every city major city have that program? how does one verify their homeless status to such organizations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

I've also encountered disabled beggars, usually the blind or crippled, being led by an otherwise healthy companion and I think wouldn't it be fucking better for the companion to just get a job and leave the disabled person in their place?

how could you be so heartless? *in autotune voice*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post

I think people like that about him

The homeless guy saying he wouldn't flip burgers because it is a monotonous job just cracks me up biggrin.gif

the government calls homeless people "discouraged workers"
Quote:
I think Charles Barkley has been made fun of by his famous friends because he yells at homeless people and tells them if they can ask for money they can ask people at McDonald's what they want to order. Absolutely refuses to give them $

I rarely give money but if someone tells me they're hungry and asks me for food I will go out of my way to get it for them.

that's going above and beyond and for that i commend you. what do you usually get? Mickey D's dollar menu?
post #27 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post

And does every city major city have that program? how does one verify their homeless status to such organizations?
Our particular program is local. We don't require 'homeless verification.' If one shows up to eat, we assume they are hungry and in need of food. Unfortunately we are limited in the number we can serve and are almost always forced to turn others away. We do pack bag dinners and these are given (until we run out) to those we can't seat.
post #28 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post



that's going above and beyond and for that i commend you. what do you usually get? Mickey D's dollar menu?

Whatever is near. It has been everything from a $5 sandwich to $30 restaurant meal. I'm very sensitive to people going without food. I just can't stand that
post #29 of 73
...
Edited by chu - 12/11/11 at 11:38pm
post #30 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by chu View Post

I love using my train horn w/ air compressor...
And why did you join style forum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Helping the less fortunate: Yea or Nay?