or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How to go sockless responsibly - shoe preservation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to go sockless responsibly - shoe preservation - Page 3

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberfile View Post


I never thought trad and going sockless was part of a southern upbringing......barefoot, shirtless, with open beer container in hand, particularly before getting arrested was more what I envisioned.
There are many different kinds of Southern boys. The one you reference definitely does exist and is known as a redneck.
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post


Fail. There are sockless gents in 30's movies... in trou/sportcoats etc no less... and in Esky prints as well.

So? These pants were popular in the 20s. Does that mean you'd wear them to work tomorrow?

500
post #33 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby View Post

What kind of shoes? The only shoes I go sockless in are sandals and converse. And the converse I don't really go sockless. I use the socks that come up to your ankle bone that nobody can see.

I'm asking in regards to Alden suede PTBs. I've been going sockless with a little Gold Bond dusting and it seems to be OK. I was concerned because my boatshoes which I've had for years pretty funk nasty and I don't want that to happen to the Aldens because I do wear with slacks from time to time.

These look promising:
http://www.freshpair.com/Falke-Family-Step-Invisible-Sock-14659.html
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Bateman View Post


I'm asking in regards to Alden suede PTBs. I've been going sockless with a little Gold Bond dusting and it seems to be OK. I was concerned because my boatshoes which I've had for years pretty funk nasty and I don't want that to happen to the Aldens because I do wear with slacks from time to time.

These look promising:
http://www.freshpair.com/Falke-Family-Step-Invisible-Sock-14659.html

those are the best option for invisi-socks. been mentioned a few times on the forum. fox socks carries these as well.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post




nvm

500

Sorry to disrupt the thread but can anyone tell me what the name of those are???? I really like the look of them.

Thank you,
Ben
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider123 View Post


Sorry to disrupt the thread but can anyone tell me what the name of those are???? I really like the look of them.

Thank you,
Ben

Ben, were you the one that asked about them on eBay?
post #37 of 45
so what do you guys consider a big shoe rotation? I am currently going to purchase 3 pairs of loafers, (RL and two by Oak street boot makers) and I am thinking of wearing them once a week (each) and wearing other shoes for the rest of the four days of the week, until I can purchase another 3 pairs of decent shoes. The last thing I need/want is for them to smell (shoes are averaging $380 a pair) so I am going to take the following precautions: buying shoe trees for each of them (from cedarville) and wearing the shoes only once a week. Do you guys think that will work?
post #38 of 45
In the spring and summer months I tend to go sockless. Just never wear the same shoe two days in a row and you'll be fine.
post #39 of 45
very well, I shall do that. I am definitely doing to wear them with socks in the winter time. Any other shoes you guys recommend, I really want to shift away from boat shoes.

do you sail?
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post


Ben, were you the one that asked about them on eBay?

I wasn't, why?
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

so what do you guys consider a big shoe rotation?
A 'big' shoe rotation is perhaps wearing a shoe once a month. Not sure that is reasonable for most ... but for a aging sartorial maven it's easily accomplished and often exceeded.

On the other hand I don't recommend it as a goal ... I could have retired years sooner had I not been buying all those shoes & suits.
post #42 of 45


What fun would work be without a fine wardrobe?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

A 'big' shoe rotation is perhaps wearing a shoe once a month. Not sure that is reasonable for most ... but for a aging sartorial maven it's easily accomplished and often exceeded.

On the other hand I don't recommend it as a goal ... I could have retired years sooner had I not been buying all those shoes & suits.
 


 

post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater156 View Post


What fun would work be without a fine wardrobe?
 



 

Work is a lot more fun ... when one doesn't work ... or at least doesn't have to work.
post #44 of 45
I go sockless all summer except when I am wearing a suit for work. Rotate your shoes, clean your feet, you will be fine. If it's a problem because you sweat a lot or whatever, then wear socks. Some guys always wear undershirts for the same reason. I don't wear those either.

As for loafer socks, either wear socks or don't. You are not fooling anyone.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanzana View Post





Don't go sockless, it's looks silly and nerdy unless you're at the beach or on your yacht.

 

In the box at a polo match is okay too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How to go sockless responsibly - shoe preservation