or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Santoni (Non-hand grade) Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Santoni (Non-hand grade) Shoes - Page 3

post #31 of 44
santoni has some great shoes. I prefer the ones I have to most AS, Aldens and Carminas. Santoni has a wide range.
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

I think this debate really ends with your stylistic preferences. The quality of construction between the two is similar--I would say that the method of construction is more 'reliable' in the AEs, however. It really just comes down to whether you want a more conservative or 'edgy' look.


I think you are WAAAY overestimating AE construction. Their recent offerings are pretty darned lightweight construction-wise. + MANY corrected grain models.


If you line up Santoni Goodyear construction against AE Goodyear, it's not even close.

Even Santoni blake stitched vs AE blake is a win for Santoni by a wide margin.

Of course you have to actually hold and compare the 2 by hand. I may not be an expert in most of the brands discussed here, I'm a Santoni addict & have handled several dozen pairs of AE.

Please note that AE's OLDER models are much more comparable construction wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Personally, I would say just save the money and buy some AS's, C&Js or Carminas, or even Aldens.

That's quite a wide range. Where's the Carmina & C&J savings? If you look, you can find Santoni Goodyears in the mid $600 range.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

santoni has some great shoes. I prefer the ones I have to most AS, Aldens and Carminas. Santoni has a wide range.

I agree 100% Many Santoni models are downright ugly. However, they do make some very nice "traditionally styled" shoes.
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post


I agree 100% Many Santoni models are downright ugly. However, they do make some very nice "traditionally styled" shoes.

That is to me the best part though, they don't really stick with one thing. You're almost guaranteed to find something you like, and well made at that.
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post



I think you are WAAAY overestimating AE construction. Their recent offerings are pretty darned lightweight construction-wise. + MANY corrected grain models.


If you line up Santoni Goodyear construction against AE Goodyear, it's not even close.

Even Santoni blake stitched vs AE blake is a win for Santoni by a wide margin.

Of course you have to actually hold and compare the 2 by hand. I may not be an expert in most of the brands discussed here, I'm a Santoni addict & have handled several dozen pairs of AE.

Please note that AE's OLDER models are much more comparable construction wise.

you've mentioned this several times but seem to have no support for it. Clearly you are a big (and probably biased) fan of santoni.

so how about some evidence to support your position...pics, description of AE's lacking, etc.
post #36 of 44
Santoni - goodyear

santoni716739f8optapijtbz0.jpg

santoni7167i.jpg

santoni7167ii.jpg

santoni7167iii.jpg

santoni7167iv.jpg

santoni716739f8binnenzoog6.jpg

labelsantonigi7.jpg


santoni7167v.jpg

(The toe taps were added later.)
post #37 of 44
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fss View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post

I'd LOVE to see some pics, friend! I'm a HUGE Santoni fan. NOT all their models, but when they try to make a great shoe, they DO!

Mine are a different kind, not for every taste, but I love them.

New/one year old. Loud patina, I know :-)
2wd51zc.jpg
280yyq.jpg

Almost 5 years old (and in need of a good polish).
noxa52.jpg

I also have a derby-pair, but don't have pics at the moment.
Lovely.
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


you've mentioned this several times but seem to have no support for it. Clearly you are a big (and probably biased) fan of santoni.

so how about some evidence to support your position...pics, description of AE's lacking, etc.

what proof do you want. obviously you have not done such a comparison yourself. i have owned many models of each and personally compared, you may visit sometime, i suppose.

as for bias, i own no santoni stock. they have earned my respect thru consistently high quality products.
post #39 of 44
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
post #40 of 44
My local Rack had quite a few as well. I put one pair on hold as I liked them, but was not completely sold on the construction and the quality. The styling, however, was impeccable. I wound up buying another pair of Allen Edmonds on the final day of the anniversary sale.

The recraft price of Santoni is supposedly ridiculous from my research.

If you're looking for a sleek shoe that will be a fashion element rather than a classic one, go for it. It depends on your budget and your style.
post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post


what proof do you want. obviously you have not done such a comparison yourself. i have owned many models of each and personally compared, you may visit sometime, i suppose.

as for bias, i own no santoni stock. they have earned my respect thru consistently high quality products .

I've done the comparison. Construction is a wash imho.

You seem to think your word is somehow gospel in this matter.

Just like santoni earned your respect, AE earned mine.
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


I've done the comparison. Construction is a wash imho.

You seem to think your word is somehow gospel in this matter.

Just like santoni earned your respect, AE earned mine.

enjoy your ae's
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by usctrojans31 View Post

The recraft price of Santoni is supposedly ridiculous from my research.

100 euro, from what I've heard.
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


you've mentioned this several times but seem to have no support for it. Clearly you are a big (and probably biased) fan of santoni.

so how about some evidence to support your position...pics, description of AE's lacking, etc.


Where your 'evidence' is clearly overwhelming... How about you show us some pics to support your position? Clearly you are a big (and probably biased) fan of AE...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Santoni (Non-hand grade) Shoes