or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

people who bitch about tipping are scum? - Page 50

post #736 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britalian View Post

In many places during the Spanish civil war tips were banned being considered - as they were/are anti-democratic: every customer should expect the same service as every other, regardless of their ability to pay a little 'extra' for favourable attention. Tips are a form of corruption- and expose the USA as the cheapskate nation that it is. Wait staff in Spain and Italy (for the most part) are professionals (and though sometimes family members) working for a wage and social security and health benefits - not skivvies, students and marginalised people working on zero contracts.

Bravo. They've found a way to normalize shitty service so everyone gets it.
post #737 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post

Bravo. They've found a way to normalize shitty service so everyone gets it.
Haha. Good one.
post #738 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post

Bravo. They've found a way to normalize shitty service so everyone gets it.
One can imagine from a United Statian this opinion is rational. Dear me.
post #739 of 754
Having just come back from 10 days in 4 European countries... holy hell the service is terrible. The only time I got good service, my server was an American expat. I don't love tip culture or tip inflation, but I'll take American service any day.
post #740 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Having just come back from 10 days in 4 European countries... holy hell the service is terrible. The only time I got good service, my server was an American expat. I don't love tip culture or tip inflation, but I'll take American service any day.
How long did you have to wait before the menu arrived - 5 minutes? God how did you survive such trauma. Better to have Brad or Stacy your server for today brown nosing sycophantically for the meal.
post #741 of 754
Lulz.
post #742 of 754
If they auto-tip you for the 18-20%, can you put a negative amount if you don't think its worth it? (has anyone here actually done this)
post #743 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britalian View Post

How long did you have to wait before the menu arrived - 5 minutes? God how did you survive such trauma. Better to have Brad or Stacy your server for today brown nosing sycophantically for the meal.

Technically, 0 seconds, since the menu was usually sitting on the table. It took ~15-20 minutes for someone to actually approach us to see if we wanted to order anything, in general. Every step of service took 20 minutes to a half hour. What would be a 20-30 minute lunch in the US was an hour to 1:15 in Europe.

I get that you guys have the luxury of shorter workdays in Europe, so an hour and a half lunch is normal. Must be nice. But I have better uses of my time than sitting around waiting for service when I'm on vacation and have 2 days in a city that shuts down at 5pm. I'd rather eat at a kebab stand than spend an hour and a half on 2 drinks and a mediocre sandwich.
post #744 of 754
Indeed. My oldest son lives in Spain and tells me that tipping just isn't done. Mind you, he says that service is generally "alright" rather than good.
post #745 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Technically, 0 seconds, since the menu was usually sitting on the table. It took ~15-20 minutes for someone to actually approach us to see if we wanted to order anything, in general. Every step of service took 20 minutes to a half hour. What would be a 20-30 minute lunch in the US was an hour to 1:15 in Europe.

I get that you guys have the luxury of shorter workdays in Europe, so an hour and a half lunch is normal. Must be nice. But I have better uses of my time than sitting around waiting for service when I'm on vacation and have 2 days in a city that shuts down at 5pm. I'd rather eat at a kebab stand than spend an hour and a half on 2 drinks and a mediocre sandwich.

You reveal your American plebeian mindset here. Anyone with culture understands this is how it's done when you pay your wait staff enough that they can determine how you should be served. /Britlian
post #746 of 754
I'm always terrified at what I end up tipping after getting wasted at a bar. Is it enough? Did I do the math on the bill correctly? Could they even read it? Feedback from my local favorite is the drunker I am the better I tip by a lot.
post #747 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I'm always terrified at what I end up tipping after getting wasted at a bar. Is it enough? Did I do the math on the bill correctly? Could they even read it? Feedback from my local favorite is the drunker I am the better I tip by a lot.

This is where being married really is a good thing.
post #748 of 754
You gotta tip big to get them free drinks, though. The short term investment pays off in the long run. Everyone wins except the bar owner.
post #749 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

You gotta tip big to get them free drinks, though. The short term investment pays off in the long run. Everyone wins except the bar owner.

Even he/she probably wins overall through the volume faithful regulars generate. Nothing worse than an empty chair.
post #750 of 754
My local place has a thing called a green card. It is basically a trigger in the system that gives you a "regulars" discount. They use this in lieu of free drinks. Works nicely.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?