or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

people who bitch about tipping are scum? - Page 48

post #706 of 732
That lack of 3 bucks killed him, you bastard.
post #707 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

That lack of 3 bucks killed him, you bastard.

You should have seen the look on his face right before I slammed the door. I still sort of remember it today. He looked like that one-armed man/killer from The Fugitive with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.

I should have told him, "Stay dry in this rain, SUCKA!"
post #708 of 732

I tip 20% as a general rule, but I don't hesitate to tip a big, fat ass 0% if I receive truly abhorrent service. A tip is earned, and shouldn't be taken for granted.

 

Employers are required to make up the difference if tips + wage don't add up to minimum wage, so it's really on the server to earn anything extra.

post #709 of 732
Whenever I tip zero I leave a little note as to why.
post #710 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Whenever I tip zero I leave a little note as to why.


Absolutely. No reason doing it just to be a dick. At lease let them know why and what can be done better, even if that's getting a new career...

post #711 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Whenever I tip zero I leave a little note as to why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amglol View Post





Absolutely. No reason doing it just to be a dick. At lease let them know why and what can be done better, even if that's getting a new career...


The feedback is important for their sakes but it also saves you from being a total dick. Often its misconstrued as you being a cheap ass.
post #712 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by amglol View Post

Employers are required to make up the difference if tips + wage don't add up to minimum wage, so it's really on the server to earn anything extra.


This is the law, yes. How often this law is actually followed is another question entirely.
post #713 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post


This is the law, yes. How often this law is actually followed is another question entirely.

What does this mean? Is it argument by shadowy innuendo? It is a completely common form of employment contract, hardly limited to waiters.
post #714 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post


What does this mean? Is it argument by shadowy innuendo? It is a completely common form of employment contract, hardly limited to waiters.

It means that while by law, restaurants are supposed to make up the difference if tipped employees don't end up making minimum wage. In reality, however, this law does not seem to be enforced. Shortly put - from my experiences and those of my (now former! not a server anymore!!!) colleages, restaurants ignore this law and if you don't make minimum wage its tough noogies.
post #715 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post


It means that while by law, restaurants are supposed to make up the difference if tipped employees don't end up making minimum wage. In reality, however, this law does not seem to be enforced. Shortly put - from my experiences and those of my (now former! not a server anymore!!!) colleages, restaurants ignore this law and if you don't make minimum wage its tough noogies.

I'd never even heard of this.
post #716 of 732
Such Ignorant Bullshit. Any restaurant that does not ensure their Servers are at least making minimum wage (via Tip Credit), are completely open to serious litigation from disgruntled employees.
Here in DC there are a lot of Operations paying servers $2.80 - $3.00 an hour (many of who walk with way more than minimum wage, even after tipping in bussers, runners etc).

California is a different story - with no tip credit = businesses take a huge hit on the labor line.

I am in restaurants and personally hate the 'Auto Grat' thing on large bookings, however DC does appear to be a cheap ass town - so it is a fine balancing act keeping both guests and employees happy.
post #717 of 732
post #718 of 732

Turns out it was a hoax perpetrated using photoshop. Bill was for $33 not $133, tip was for $7 (20+%) not $1, and there was not "get a real job" written on the ticket.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/banker-insulting-waitress-tip-hoax-165556900.html
post #719 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post

Turns out it was a hoax perpetrated using photoshop. Bill was for $33 not $133, tip was for $7 (20+%) not $1, and there was not "get a real job" written on the ticket.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/banker-insulting-waitress-tip-hoax-165556900.html

That's amazing.
post #720 of 732
Wow, some pathetic douche really had to try to enhance his e-rep by making a fake receipt. What a toolbag.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?