or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

people who bitch about tipping are scum? - Page 44

post #646 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So Friday night I tipped $80 on a $260 bill. Over tip or not?

Was it at your favorite place? The one you always talk about? If so, then no. If not, then YES.
post #647 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post


Was it at your favorite place? The one you always talk about? If so, then no. If not, then YES.

It was indeed at one of my places. I think I undertipped actually but was too befuddled by the copious amounts of food and drink.
post #648 of 732
holy smokes this thread has 640+ replies.
post #649 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So Friday night I tipped $80 on a $260 bill. Over tip or not?

Depends. How much are you going to write off?
post #650 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post

holy smokes this thread has 640+ replies.

There's a lot of shitheads in this world and many of them happen to post here.
post #651 of 732

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So Friday night I tipped $80 on a $260 bill. Over tip or not?


that seems a bit crazy to me, however, like rambo said, if it is your favorite place, they like you, they give you special service etc... then maybe not.

post #652 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


It was indeed at one of my places. I think I undertipped actually but was too befuddled by the copious amounts of food and drink.

wtf and I get slack for making it an even 50 on a 35$ meal....?? eh.gif
post #653 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So Friday night I tipped $80 on a $260 bill. Over tip or not?

Is $260 a normal meal for you Piob? That's like a month worth of groceries for some people.
post #654 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post


There's a lot of shitheads in this world and many of them happen to post here.

Oh, welcome back
post #655 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


It was indeed at one of my places. I think I undertipped actually but was too befuddled by the copious amounts of food and drink.

You way overtipped. I dont do that shit. I have about 5 or 6 favorite places and they all get 20%. No reason whatsoever to overtip at a favorite restaurant. Occasionally I get a free after dinner drink but otherwise I pay my bill just like everyone else. If I get a free drink I may chuck in a few extra.

When I waited tables I almost never say a regular customer do what you do. And I saw 100's of regular customers. We knew who tipped 20%. More? You're throwing your money away. Unless you are getting some egregious amount of free stuff, never.

The way overtippers were just random people. I remember one piano concert performer in particular, Andre something, black dude. Ate and drank like a king. Tipped almost the amount of the check. That kind of think was rare. Its like getting a strait flush at a high stakes poker table - that kind of rare.
post #656 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post



You way overtipped. I dont do that shit. I have about 5 or 6 favorite places and they all get 20%. No reason whatsoever to overtip at a favorite restaurant. Occasionally I get a free after dinner drink but otherwise I pay my bill just like everyone else. If I get a free drink I may chuck in a few extra.

When I waited tables I almost never say a regular customer do what you do. And I saw 100's of regular customers. We knew who tipped 20%. More? You're throwing your money away. Unless you are getting some egregious amount of free stuff, never.

The way overtippers were just random people. I remember one piano concert performer in particular, Andre something, black dude. Ate and drank like a king. Tipped almost the amount of the check. That kind of think was rare. Its like getting a strait flush at a high stakes poker table - that kind of rare.



I agree with you. I think it is actually bad form to overtip. Just my .02.

An observation from last night. My wife is out of town, and I went to dinner with my mother. She insisted on paying, but had no glasses and it was dark, so I had to sign for her. I left what I would normally leave if I were paying, around 20%, a touch higher because the food was rather inexpensive and the service very good. I thought of this thread, though, and wondered how people tip if they are tipping with somebody else's money.
post #657 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

wondered how people tip if they are tipping with somebody else's money.

Same as I would if it were my $$. I eat out with the corporate card regularly and tip 20%. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it.
post #658 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post


FTFY.

nod[1].gif

I remember that. BUT, otherwise it was good. I used to cab home from restaurants for less than $4.
post #659 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


Same as I would if it were my $$. I eat out with the corporate card regularly and tip 20%. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it.

Probably. Corporate cards are different though. You have to work within a set of rules. I am sure a good number of the non-tippers on here, at least those old enough to go out past 9pm, tip normally on their corporate card.
post #660 of 732
What would you tip on this check?

Bruins-Bar-Tab-260-2.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?