or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

people who bitch about tipping are scum? - Page 43

post #631 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin View Post


Only in America. I still feel the system should be overhauled and servers get a decent wage.

You're bothering with something that isn't likely to change. Buck up and pay. You might as well get happy about it while you're at it
post #632 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin View Post


Only in America. I still feel the system should be overhauled and servers get a decent wage.

Then write your congressman (or tweet him dick picks since they seem to like that more). Not tipping isn't standing up for beliefs. Like LA Guy and them were saying, it's just people trying to justify being cheap, bad people, and general assholes.


Some tipping stuff is confusing. Getting pick up from some place is weird because there is a tip jar because they may also do seated service. Same with coffee (different if you have a local shop you go to every day and they treat you super well knowing just how you like it and what not) especially drip coffee. Maybe rules are different when you're getting espresso? Mainly because those people are not paid a below normal wage to rely on tips. Then some larger chains for food like this don't allow tips which makes it confusing. It seems everyone has different methods for tipping people who aren't on the server strategy of $2-3 an hour + tips.

Then again, you could always listen to some jerry seinfeld standup as i think he has covered many tipping situations lol
post #633 of 732
What about tipping on cabs? I drop them a dollar is its 5-10 bucks.
post #634 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin View Post

What about tipping on cabs? I drop them a dollar is its 5-10 bucks.

0-30%, depending on service. Some assholes, especially in NYC, take you for a ride. For example, one dick restarted the clock when I was sharing a ride with someone (we'd agreed to split) instead of just letting the meter run. He got no tip on the second part of the ride. If someone picks up during changeover, or chooses the fastest route, or otherwise does well or does me a real favor, I can tip up to 30%. Usually, though, it's 20-25%.
post #635 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post


The reason we tip is because it's not just a social norm at this point, it's the de facto way servers get paid. You don't tip, the waiter doesn't bring home enough to live on. So, in short, you tip in order to not be an asshole.

BTW, that something is a social norm is a good reason to do any number of things. Why do you not pick your nose and wipe it on the seat? Why do you not greet people with a happy "Fuck off?" Why do not run down the street yelling "Outta my way?" Think of it as part of the price of living in society.

People need to stop looking at tipping as customary or a "social norm" and start looking at it as incentivizing good service. I get that they have low salaries because they're supposed to make tips, so I'll give 13-17% for average service (though I adjust my expectations of "average" accordingly -- I want a higher standard at Per Se than I do at TGI Friday's), but I also have no qualms giving nothing for bad service or 25%+ for extremely good service. It's not being cheap when I willingly shell out another $80 on a great dinner for two when $45 would've been enough for an average tip.

You would think that because they don't bring home enough to live on salary alone, they'd work extra hard for that tip, wouldn't you? Unless they realize that people tip them anyways...so now we're stuck with hordes of shitty, indifferent servers. It's really not that tough, though: Don't be rude, don't fuck up badly, and if you do, make up for it in some way. That's really all I ask for from a waiter.
post #636 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post


0-30%, depending on service. Some assholes, especially in NYC, take you for a ride. For example, one dick restarted the clock when I was sharing a ride with someone (we'd agreed to split) instead of just letting the meter run. He got no tip on the second part of the ride. If someone picks up during changeover, or chooses the fastest route, or otherwise does well or does me a real favor, I can tip up to 30%. Usually, though, it's 20-25%.

That's a lot of money, if it were NYC I'd be inclined to tip about 10-20% since the rates are fair (but unless the ride is over 30 minutes, I think I'd max out at about a $5 tip), but for a place like LA where they can go faster and really get the meter to roll on distance>time and/or get a nice mix of distance covered+ a little stop and go that gets them another $10 on the meter for a little 50 foot stretch, I don't really want to give them much more than a few bucks.

Good thing tipping is not customary in Asia. Taxis in Japan are already insane, especially since the 710y meter drop is about $10 nowadays. ffffuuuu.gif
post #637 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin View Post

What about tipping on cabs? I drop them a dollar is its 5-10 bucks.

I am never sure....it often ends up being whatever money makes sense depending no the cash in my hand. If I pay by credit card and they have one of those auto systems where you pick a percentage (and they go absurdly high in the options but not a lot of low %s) I will usually enter it by hand and throw them a few bucks.

When I am taking a cab home from working late (covered by client) I almost always add $3 although its not my money. The rides are usually about 15 from the office to my house which makes it 20%. We use a corporate account with a single company so they are often the same drivers (to the point where some people have drivers who live near them who they will call directly since the driver can just drop them off and end his shift right near home). If they manage to make it with $12 on the meter, they've done well and deserve the some $3 even though 20% would be less.

If they take the stupid route to my apartment and the meter goes high...I cut the tip down. I am reasonably confident that it is *not* faster and the meter is always more like $18-19 so I think they are purposely doing it to drive a higher fare and I cut their tip down accordingly. I had one guy argue with me that it was a better route, I say "no, take my exit" and he ends up blowing by it and taking the expensive route anyways...
post #638 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

If they take the stupid route to my apartment and the meter goes high...I cut the tip down. I am reasonably confident that it is *not* faster and the meter is always more like $18-19 so I think they are purposely doing it to drive a higher fare and I cut their tip down accordingly. I had one guy argue with me that it was a better route, I say "no, take my exit" and he ends up blowing by it and taking the expensive route anyways...

Happens in Asia all the time, drivers are older than me usually and they're a) ripping me off with a poker face, b) mistaking me for a tourist (although like you I only ride between my house and the same place everyday for work, and I know every possible route and their cost) c) taking the elder vs the younger stance. No tips here so they don't lose anything but I usually snap a pic of their cab medallion and tell them to fuck off. Problem with that though, is that I hope I never hop in their cab again, lol.
post #639 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post


That's a lot of money, if it were NYC I'd be inclined to tip about 10-20% since the rates are fair (but unless the ride is over 30 minutes, I think I'd max out at about a $5 tip), but for a place like LA where they can go faster and really get the meter to roll on distance>time and/or get a nice mix of distance covered+ a little stop and go that gets them another $10 on the meter for a little 50 foot stretch, I don't really want to give them much more than a few bucks.

Good thing tipping is not customary in Asia. Taxis in Japan are already insane, especially since the 710y meter drop is about $10 nowadays. ffffuuuu.gif

It comes out to about $5 on a ride from deep downtown to midtown, for 20-25%, since, as you mentioned, NYC cabs are pretty reasonable. A lot of times, for short rides, it's usually a few bucks. In LA, they sometimes try to fuck you over, so there have been times where I've just stepped out of the cab, and told them to fuck off, and not pay them at all. I did that to one cabbie who refused to start his meter, and tried to charge me $20 for a 10 minute ride. He threatened to drive me right back to where we started, so I opened one of the passenger doors, braced myself on the other, and started kicking the crap out of his car. He stopped the car and let me out. I jumped out fast, because I knew that he was going to gun the motor on me.

Essentially, I'm pretty nice to people providing a service, but I really don't take being fucked over particularly well.
post #640 of 732
lol, that's pretty brazen. I've done a cut n run from a taxi before, interesting experience. Should have not underestimated the driver, even though he was old, because he had a Marines medallion on his dash. Guy could run decently. Ended up between some cars in a huge parking lot. lol8[1].gif
post #641 of 732
Once I got to my destination and the cab driver didn't have any CC slips for me to sign etc and I said "Well I don't know what you expect me to do." He tried to get me to go to an ATM but I told him I wasn't going to do that. I had a long day and I was tired so after he started yelling and telling me I was trying to scam him I called the cab company while I was in the back seat.

The woman I spoke with told me if he was out of CC slips then that was HIS problem and they must accept the CC if it is offered for payment. He couldn't require me to pay with cash because he didn't get enough paper slips from the office.

I ended up getting that ride for free. No tip of course
post #642 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post

Once I got to my destination and the cab driver didn't have any CC slips for me to sign etc and I said "Well I don't know what you expect me to do." He tried to get me to go to an ATM but I told him I wasn't going to do that. I had a long day and I was tired so after he started yelling and telling me I was trying to scam him I called the cab company while I was in the back seat.

The woman I spoke with told me if he was out of CC slips then that was HIS problem and they must accept the CC if it is offered for payment. He couldn't require me to pay with cash because he didn't get enough paper slips from the office.

I ended up getting that ride for free. No tip of course

Cab drivers are really either nice guys trying to make a living or the biggest wretches on the planet.

Unfortunately DC abandoned their zone system where you pay per zone you cross. It cut out alot of this bullshit with fares. Was a good system.
post #643 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


Cab drivers are really either nice guys trying to make a living or the biggest wretches on the planet.

Unfortunately DC abandoned their zone system where you pay per zone you cross. It cut out alot of this bullshit with fares. Was a good system if you were going to or from Capital Hill. Absolutely sucked if you were going to or from Adams Morgan, which is adjacent to a zone line.

FTFY.
post #644 of 732
I actually feel NYC cab drivers are not as likely to rip you off - they give you a touchscreen Sat-nav in the backseat so you can track your journey, of all things. That alone makes it a little reassuring - it's like having a camera over the till at all times. Never seen that in any other city, unless you're sitting in the front seat with some ghetto HK or Korean taxi driver, but in those cases you're not going to be allowed to touch the screen or mess with the input. Sometimes the Asian guys will input a nearby location and then when they get there they act lost and then drive you around for another $5 - fleece scheme.

Most Tokyo cab drivers don't even use navigation. They'll just tell you they don't know where your destination is, so you'll have to find another cab, and that will repeat for like 5 cabs. Some old guys will pull out a paper map of old Edo from like 1830 and expect your new hotel to be on it somewhere. The screens in the Prius cabs in Tokyo just display 'eco-mode,' lol -otherwise they rarely have LCDs, it's like being in the '80's again.
post #645 of 732
So Friday night I tipped $80 on a $260 bill. Over tip or not?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?