or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

people who bitch about tipping are scum? - Page 42

post #616 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

To the anti-tippers:

Do you eat out much and if so do you simply never tip? Have you experienced no social repurcussions about this? No blowback from fellow diner? No comments from staff? In other words, do you eat out, pay exactly what is on the check, walk out, do this routinely, and nothing negative has ever happened as a result?

Just curious.

My friend Gyges never tips. He just fiddles with his ring and walks out.
post #617 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post

That's how I know you're a loser. The fact that you'll try to assume the worse about my personal life just because you can't hold your own in a debate against me. What's even more ridiculous is the fact that you'd compare tipping in a restaurant to supporting my family. You're a sad individual and a sore loser, pal.

There's no point talking to this guy. Waitresses are going to mess with his food because he doesn't tip as much as he ought to (if at all), and that's that. The principle edinatlanta made stands. 2 social conventions that have existed for god knows how many centuries that aren't codified by law.
post #618 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post


Goddamnit! How can you people still be so clueless about the economics of tipping after this entire thread. JFC.

People aren't clueless. People just hate to admit that they are bad people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post

That's how I know you're a loser. The fact that you'll try to assume the worse about my personal life just because you can't hold your own in a debate against me. What's even more ridiculous is the fact that you'd compare tipping in a restaurant to supporting my family. You're a sad individual and a sore loser, pal.

What it all boils down to is that you are a cheap asshole. You can talk yourself blue in the face, and it will still come down to the same thing. There is no ethical question to be answered, despite your argument, which boils down to "yes there is."
post #619 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post


What it all boils down to is that you are a cheap asshole. You can talk yourself blue in the face, and it will still come down to the same thing. There is no ethical question to be answered, despite your argument, which boils down to "yes there is."

"So if its not illegal to be a total asshole, I'll be one" is what his argument is. There is no ethical or moral question to answer, its clear he is neither.

He reminds me of this guy I knew in college. He was very good looking and he would find ugly chick after ugly chick to date so he could suck them dry for free dinners, gadgets, even veterinary care for his dog. They thought that finally a man had seen them for who they were, but in reality he was just looking for a free ride. This too is not illegal.
post #620 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


"So if its not illegal to be a total asshole, I'll be one" is what his argument is. There is no ethical or moral question to answer, its clear he is neither.

He reminds me of this guy I knew in college. He was very good looking and he would find ugly chick after ugly chick to date so he could suck them dry for free dinners, gadgets, even veterinary care for his dog. They thought that finally a man had seen them for who they were, but in reality he was just looking for a free ride. This too is not illegal.

Damn, so that's what I could be doing with my good looks?
post #621 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post


Damn, so that's what I could be doing with my good looks?

lol. You'll come to SF acrying when you end up feeling violated and with 2 cold nickels in your pants.
post #622 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post


Damn, so that's what I could be doing with my good looks?

PM Geko, you can team up.
post #623 of 732
I've been out of the loop. Could someone kindly get me up to speed please?
post #624 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post


My friend Gyges never tips. He just fiddles with his ring and walks out.

You take Platonic friends to dinner?
post #625 of 732
For you under tipped restaurant staff, you could always skim from bad tipper credit cards: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/credit-cards/waitress-scams-bad-tippers/?ec_id=m1078091
post #626 of 732
Well first off, TIPS = to insure prompt service.

I've went to school in hospitality management and worked in the industry, tips don't have to be and shouldn't be paid unless the service person EXCEEDS your expectations.

Some people feel sorry for those that get tips deducted from tax and has pay cut to sum minimum wage from restaurant managers. You can do what you feel is right or wrong but at the end of the day tips shouldn't be paid to service workers who don't give a shit about your experience.
post #627 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


"So if its not illegal to be a total asshole, I'll be one" is what his argument is. There is no ethical or moral question to answer, its clear he is neither.

He reminds me of this guy I knew in college. He was very good looking and he would find ugly chick after ugly chick to date so he could suck them dry for free dinners, gadgets, even veterinary care for his dog. They thought that finally a man had seen them for who they were, but in reality he was just looking for a free ride. This too is not illegal.

I tip 15-20% EVERYTIME because its the fucking social norm. I bet Gekko does to. No one goes out to eat and doesnt tip. I do it begrudgingly. You STILL have failed to give me a reason to support these assholes.
post #628 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin View Post


I tip 15-20% EVERYTIME because its the fucking social norm. I bet Gekko does to. No one goes out to eat and doesnt tip. I do it begrudgingly. You STILL have failed to give me a reason to support these assholes.

The reason we tip is because it's not just a social norm at this point, it's the de facto way servers get paid. You don't tip, the waiter doesn't bring home enough to live on. So, in short, you tip in order to not be an asshole.

BTW, that something is a social norm is a good reason to do any number of things. Why do you not pick your nose and wipe it on the seat? Why do you not greet people with a happy "Fuck off?" Why do not run down the street yelling "Outta my way?" Think of it as part of the price of living in society.
post #629 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin View Post


I tip 15-20% EVERYTIME because its the fucking social norm. I bet Gekko does to. No one goes out to eat and doesnt tip. I do it begrudgingly. You STILL have failed to give me a reason to support these assholes.

The restaurant is guaranteeing the the servers a minimum wage
They do this so the servers will be available to serve customers
You are expected to pay for the service you receive in the form of a TIP
People that want to be served in a restaurant essentially have to pay for their service based on its level/quality
This is the way the system is setup.
If you don't want to do that then stay home.
Don't expect people to feel sorry for you.
post #630 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post


The reason we tip is because it's not just a social norm at this point, it's the de facto way servers get paid. You don't tip, the waiter doesn't bring home enough to live on. So, in short, you tip in order to not be an asshole.

BTW, that something is a social norm is a good reason to do any number of things. Why do you not pick your nose and wipe it on the seat? Why do you not greet people with a happy "Fuck off?" Why do not run down the street yelling "Outta my way?" Think of it as part of the price of living in society.

Only in America. I still feel the system should be overhauled and servers get a decent wage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?