or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

people who bitch about tipping are scum? - Page 39

post #571 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarphe View Post

lets play,
here are some minimum wage jobs
carpenters helper
construction grunt
maid

now at least the last two are assuredly minimum wage jobs you honeslty think a waiter has to be more knowledge or have more skills than people in those professions?

None of these are customer-facing jobs. The "skill" is the ability to deal with a variety of people on a day-to-day basis, which to many businesses is a more valuable skill than anything you can learn in a classroom.
post #572 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


The comparison I am making is that with buffet/brunch you are taking up a table just like any other shift. Like whether a kid was awake or asleep. The sitter gets paid the same, so does the waiter.

In reality you are not doing alot less with a brunch, so you dont take an order and deliver a plate? So what? Its not that much work. You still do everything else.

And paying a flat rate for the food allows you to stuff your ass good and full.

Don't you just effectively become a busboy? I feel like when I tip a waiter, what I'm paying for is their service, which includes taking my order, answering questions about my order, bringing out my food, solving any problems with it and topping off my wine glass from time to time (which actually annoys me, I'd rather do that myself). The busboy clears away the plates and fills water glasses right? So if I'm going up to select my own food from the buffet, I'm missing out on the taking of my order, answering questions about it, bringing out my food and solving problems with it. So what am I still getting?

I should point out that I view a place with a buffet as that being the only option. If on the other hand, the buffet is a choice, but so is being served a normal meal, then I agree with you about taking up a spot and I'd view that differently.
post #573 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post

...

500
post #574 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post

Show me someone whose doing jail-time for adultery. Don't bother because you can't. I also want you to show me where it says that I'm legally OBLIGATED to tip....not legally "expected" to tip. If me not tipping isn't punishable by law, then there's no law against not tipping. So miss me with that "legally expected" crap. It's either legally binding or it isn't, no in-between.

I cna find plenty of stories where people have faced worse penalties for adultery in modern times.
post #575 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

I don't go to buffets.

Souplantation?
Vegas?

come on man!
post #576 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


Ok, day care. Would you pay either day care less for the hours when the kids sleep? Both have a standard price difference, just like 2 different restaurants.

Or maybe a nursing home is now a better analogy? Hospice? Betty Ford clinic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


The comparison I am making is that with buffet/brunch you are taking up a table just like any other shift. Like whether a kid was awake or asleep. The sitter gets paid the same, so does the waiter.

In reality you are not doing alot less with a brunch, so you dont take an order and deliver a plate? So what? Its not that much work. You still do everything else.

And paying a flat rate for the food allows you to stuff your ass good and full.

Taking up a table at a buffet is irrelevant to the nature of the service you get when comparing a buffet and what I'm calling a "full service" restaurant. Sleeping kid has nothing to do with it. I'm comparing the service expected. Not that I have worked for a buffet joint or as a waiter, but from my perspective and experience, wait staff does more.

First your whole argument earlier in this thread was that waiters deserve their tips because they must earn them - they have to take orders, get them right, deliver them appropriately (i.e., when the food is hot and everyone gets their food around the same time) juggle tables, check up frequently, get more of this and that, napkins, sides, meat is overcooked, etc. So I don't buy the argument that taking orders and bringing food is insignificant to the experience. In most of my experiences with buffets, even nice expensive sunday brunch ones, all they do is clear the damn table of used plates (maybe bring new napkins) and refill drinks. There is no "waiter knowledge of the dishes" to account for. I'm not tipping extra for the ambiance. That's built into the price of the food. The frequency of checking up varies, but at the end of the day, I'm not asking that person to bring me a plate of food. Thus, I'll tip you 10% and save the 20% tip for a place where they are expected to and do more.

If a person working at a buffet is stil subject to the below minimum wage, I'm really sorry to hear that. Perhaps they should get a job at a restaurant where they can get better tips. Or the law needs to change.
post #577 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post




Taking up a table at a buffet is irrelevant to the nature of the service you get when comparing a buffet and what I'm calling a "full service" restaurant. Sleeping kid has nothing to do with it. I'm comparing the service expected. Not that I have worked for a buffet joint or as a waiter, but from my perspective and experience, wait staff does more.

First your whole argument earlier in this thread was that waiters deserve their tips because they must earn them - they have to take orders, get them right, deliver them appropriately (i.e., when the food is hot and everyone gets their food around the same time) juggle tables, check up frequently, get more of this and that, napkins, sides, meat is overcooked, etc. So I don't buy the argument that taking orders and bringing food is insignificant to the experience. In most of my experiences with buffets, even nice expensive sunday brunch ones, all they do is clear the damn table of used plates (maybe bring new napkins) and refill drinks. There is no "waiter knowledge of the dishes" to account for. I'm not tipping extra for the ambiance. That's built into the price of the food. The frequency of checking up varies, but at the end of the day, I'm not asking that person to bring me a plate of food. Thus, I'll tip you 10% and save the 20% tip for a place where they are expected to and do more.

If a person working at a buffet is stil subject to the below minimum wage, I'm really sorry to hear that. Perhaps they should get a job at a restaurant where they can get better tips. Or the law needs to change.


I dont really know or eat at 'buffet' restaurants, I have worked in places that had Sunday brunches, that was the only shift where there wasnt full service. Ya, tips were a little less but it wasnt significant.

I get your point, I can only tell you the norm is for people to tip around 15%
post #578 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post


Souplantation?
Vegas?

come on man!

Sorry. I used to eat at Souplantation in college.
post #579 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post


Sorry. I used to eat at Souplantation in college.

They had Souplantation back in the 70s? smile.gif They used to give a AAA discount, but I can save that extra $2 no more.
post #580 of 732
Gordon Gekko is trying to create an online persona similar to that of his handle. That's the only reasonable explanation for his posts.
post #581 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarphe View Post


I cna find plenty of stories where people have faced worse penalties for adultery in modern times.

Some women are still getting stoned ,hanged or decapitated for such trivial reason...
post #582 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post


Some women are still getting stoned ,hanged or decapitated for such trivial reason...

Getting stoned doesnt seem like a punishment at all. Maybe they only get schwag.
post #583 of 732
GG: a real question here. There is nothing codified that you must support your parents, financially or when they are ill and old, other than gross neglect if you are a caretaker. So do you think you have to support them? I would ask if you think you have to take care of your children's education but there is no way you are loved or married so you have no kids.
post #584 of 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post


Some women are still getting stoned ,hanged or decapitated for such trivial reason...

adultery is hardly is trivial. and the same reason people think queers should not be allowed to be married, can be used to to enforce the the double standard concerning adultery.
Edited by scarphe - 8/6/11 at 5:29pm
post #585 of 732
lolwat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › people who bitch about tipping are scum?