or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › New Forum Support  › Your problems are our problems
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your problems are our problems  

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

Thanks for being here. We have been reading every single complaint, and we are doing everything within our power to respond to the valid complaints about the system.

The first problem we tackled was the excessive white space in the forum. In direct consultation with our partner's CTO, we have made changes to decrease this drastically, and I think that you will all agree that it is a significant improvement.

The changes are live, but it may take a 10-20 minutes for all the caches to clear. The highlight changes are:

1) Avatar size was decreased from 120px to 80px, greatly decreasing the vertical spacing taken up by avatars.

2) Because the avatars are smaller, we were able to considerably narrow the postbit.

3) We have taken on empty space above quotes and at the top of post bodies

Thanks guys. We are listening.

The next 2 items on our list are to decrease load speeds and to make changes to make the new Buying&Selling system more dynamic and interesting to browse.

Thanks for all of your input.

Cheers,

Fok.
post #2 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Hi all,

Thanks for being here. We have been reading every single complaint, and we are doing everything within our power to respond to the valid complaints about the system.

The first problem we tackled was the excessive white space in the forum. In direct consultation with our partner's CTO, we have made changes to decrease this drastically, and I think that you will all agree that it is a significant improvement.

The changes are live, but it may take a 10-20 minutes for all the caches to clear. The highlight changes are:

1) Avatar size was decreased from 120px to 80px, greatly decreasing the vertical spacing taken up by avatars.

2) Because the avatars are smaller, we were able to considerably narrow the postbit.

3) We have taken on empty space above quotes and at the top of post bodies

Thanks guys. We are listening.

The next 2 items on our list are to decrease load speeds and to make changes to make the new Buying&Selling system more dynamic and interesting to browse.

Thanks for all of your input.

Cheers,

Fok.


 

Thanx.

 

What about the inability to see threads on the forum page without scrolling such as in these screenshot? On the old system the page would yield several threads before the need to scroll...

 

Current Events, Power and Money_1311348115264.png

 

 

 

post #3 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eztantz View Post




 

Thanx.

 

What about the inability to see threads on the forum page without scrolling such as in these screenshot? On the old system the page would yield several threads before the need to scroll...

 

Current Events, Power and Money_1311348115264.png

 

 

 

Thanks for the comment. The top block is harder to change, but it is being tightened up. It is a significantly more difficult job technically. I know that he graphic designer has been tightening up the "look" of the page and removing unnecessary pixels, and that this is an ongoing job.
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Thanks for the comment. The top block is harder to change, but it is being tightened up. It is a significantly more difficult job technically. I know that he graphic designer has been tightening up the "look" of the page and removing unnecessary pixels, and that this is an ongoing job.

 

Just one more thing i noticed. Under the avatars there are 3 items

 

Post count, join date and location. It looks a bit sloppy as they are not in 3 separate lines but it seems that post count and joined date are on the same line and depending on how many posts one has the join date gets moved partially to the next line. Just looks a bit sloppy and inconsistent...

 

See the difference between my username and yours...
 

 

 

post #5 of 48

Fok, thanks for the update and the hard work you guys are putting in. The new update def helps out, but is there a reason it was only done inside the actual threads, and not in the forum also. See the 2 screen shots below, the first being in the thread (white space gone on sides), and then 2nd being in the forum (white space still there on sides).

 

I know I mentioned this before also, but what is the point of "Last Post" besides waste valuable space? Everyone knows the last post is going to be somewhat related to the subject of the thread. If you got rid of the last post column and tightened up the white space (an entire blank line) under each post you could almost double the amount of posts you see in the forum. Maybe I'm missing the point of what people use this "last post" thing for?

 

 

Photobucket

 

Photobucket


 

post #6 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eztantz View Post



 

Just one more thing i noticed. Under the avatars there are 3 items

 

Post count, join date and location. It looks a bit sloppy as they are not in 3 separate lines but it seems that post count and joined date are on the same line and depending on how many posts one has the join date gets moved partially to the next line. Just looks a bit sloppy and inconsistent...

 

See the difference between my username and yours...
 

 

 

That was the price of decreasing the margin size. It was a compromise. I think that most people prefer less white space, and don't really care that the join date wraps a bit. And we don't want to make fonts too, too, small.
post #7 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

Fok, thanks for the update and the hard work you guys are putting in. The new update def helps out, but is there a reason it was only done inside the actual threads, and not in the forum also. See the 2 screen shots below, the first being in the thread (white space gone on sides), and then 2nd being in the forum (white space still there on sides).

 

I know I mentioned this before also, but what is the point of "Last Post" besides waste valuable space? Everyone knows the last post is going to be somewhat related to the subject of the thread. If you got rid of the last post column and tightened up the white space (an entire blank line) under each post you could almost double the amount of posts you see in the forum. Maybe I'm missing the point of what people use this "last post" thing for?

 

 

Photobucket

 

Photobucket


 

Frankly, that's a feature that I use, and that I know other people use too. It's nice to see what the last post is, who posted it, whether it's worth it to read the update. As you know, topics often veer off topic on Styleforum. A lot. All the time. Or at least 90% of the time.
post #8 of 48
I really don't see much difference. There's still way too little info on the screen and tons of wasted space, excessive scrolling, etc. The old SF was way better and maybe you guys should consider just reverting back at this point.
post #9 of 48


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eztantz View Post



 

Just one more thing i noticed. Under the avatars there are 3 items

 

Post count, join date and location. It looks a bit sloppy as they are not in 3 separate lines but it seems that post count and joined date are on the same line and depending on how many posts one has the join date gets moved partially to the next line. Just looks a bit sloppy and inconsistent...

 

See the difference between my username and yours...
 

 

 

That was the price of decreasing the margin size. It was a compromise. I think that most people prefer less white space, and don't really care that the join date wraps a bit. And we don't want to make fonts too, too, small.


 

 

FYI, I'm still getting 2 blank lines above and three blank lines below when I quote things. I usually delite these but figured as I was mentioning it, I would leave it so you can see what I mean.

 

In regards to the join date. Why can't you just put a <br> after the period of the post and have the join date be on the next line by itself. Then everyones would look the same.

 

 

 

Quote:

 

Frankly, that's a feature that I use, and that I know other people use too. It's nice to see what the last post is, who posted it, whether it's worth it to read the update. As you know, topics often veer off topic on Styleforum. A lot. All the time. Or at least 90% of the time.

Really? It just seems like it has 10 words, most of with are "Quote" "Originally posted by " and stuff like that, I'm not sure besides from the last person to post, what it really tells you. Just my opinion, but if a lot of people use it then I guess it's important.

post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

That was the price of decreasing the margin size. It was a compromise. I think that most people prefer less white space, and don't really care that the join date wraps a bit. And we don't want to make fonts too, too, small.


 

Figured that was the case...

 

Thanks for all the work, I know you guys are really putting alot of time and energy into this. It is much appreciated.

post #11 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post


 


 

 

FYI, I'm still getting 2 blank lines above and three blank lines below when I quote things. I usually delite these but figured as I was mentioning it, I would leave it so you can see what I mean.

 

In regards to the join date. Why can't you just put a <br> after the period of the post and have the join date be on the next line by itself. Then everyones would look the same.

 

 

 

Really? It just seems like it has 10 words, most of with are "Quote" "Re" and stuff like that, I'm not sure besides from the last person to post, what it really tells you. Just my opinion, but if a lot of people use it then I guess it's important.

It's because you are using the Rich Text editor. The default editor is the BB editor, and this is where these changes are made. In the rich text editor, you have much more control to take on breaks.
post #12 of 48

Definitely a move in the right direction; well done and thank you.

 

I look forward to seeing things continue to improve in this direction; it's really positive to see things improving (have you made some similar changes in B&S too; it seems more "browsable"?).

post #13 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Definitely a move in the right direction; well done and thank you.

 

I look forward to seeing things continue to improve in this direction; it's really positive to see things improving (have you made some similar changes in B&S too; it seems more "browsable"?).

Some glitches have been fixed, I believe. There will be an overhaul of the rules to make the system more freewheeling and allow sellers to employ whatever marketing strategies they want, while retaining the searchability and friendliness to new users, of the new system
post #14 of 48
Move the info under the avatar to the side of it and use smaller font will help reduce empty space. Right now, a 2-liner post still takes up too much empty space.
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Some glitches [in B & S] have been fixed, I believe.
I decided to stop sending you guys PMs about glitches, just because I thought you had enough larger scale issues on your hands. I did feel that the new B & S rules weren't going to work out perfectly but other than that, I always felt like the biggest problem with the new site is that things just aren't working properly, and that it's the execution of the new vision that's the problem more than the vision itself . Do you want us to hold off sending PMs about glitches or do you want us to send them in? I had thought that 90% of them would have been known to you but they are persistent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: New Forum Support
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › General › New Forum Support  › Your problems are our problems