or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread - Page 353

post #5281 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post
 

^Novecento line Saint Moritz.  Stunning NST in my list.


yes it is very nice! 

post #5282 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
 

Is the split toe Bestetti? 

 

   you are correct. love that guy's style

post #5283 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGent View Post

   do you happen to know if VNA comes patterned . . . . such as hatchgrain ?

 

No idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari View Post

So guys what is the difference between crust leather and VNA? What are the pros and cons of them both?

Crust leather comes from the tannery completely naked and any color is added by St. Crispins with dyes and polishes. VNA comes colored and finished right from the tannery with a topcoat on it. Crust leathers "age" more with wear, lightening up in creases and potentially darkening areas with sun exposure and so on. The VNA leather is very uniform in color and is a harder leather than the CRU leather. It will be more resistant to color displacement with wear. There is debate on whether topcoats on leather are good or bad. The bad is they resist conditioners to a degree, the pros are the oils and moisture in the leather is sealed in by the topcoat so it doesn't need as much care anyway. Not sure of the truth behind those schools of thought.
post #5284 of 6163
I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I'll give it a go:

I am ordering a pair of bespoke shoes and have a couple options, was trying to decide between black museum calf and the St Crispin black baby calf from AA crack. Is there an appreciable difference in quality between the two or am I splitting hairs at this point?
post #5285 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

No idea.
Crust leather comes from the tannery completely naked and any color is added by St. Crispins with dyes and polishes. VNA comes colored and finished right from the tannery with a topcoat on it. Crust leathers "age" more with wear, lightening up in creases and potentially darkening areas with sun exposure and so on. The VNA leather is very uniform in color and is a harder leather than the CRU leather. It will be more resistant to color displacement with wear. There is debate on whether topcoats on leather are good or bad. The bad is they resist conditioners to a degree, the pros are the oils and moisture in the leather is sealed in by the topcoat so it doesn't need as much care anyway. Not sure of the truth behind those schools of thought.

Nice info the make things more clear.

Do you know what the VNA stands for? Is it veg tanned?
post #5286 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post


Nice info the make things more clear.

Do you know what the VNA stands for? Is it veg tanned?

I'm assuming at least the A stands for Aniline??

post #5287 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post

Is this a possible indication they've changed their Russian calf supplier/source? Because that looks very different from the standard Russian calf they've had on offer over the years...

Definitely looks different than what I own. Seems like the only solution for the older russian calf pairs offered is to shine them and follow a special "care-routine".
post #5288 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post

Definitely looks different than what I own. Seems like the only solution for the older russian calf pairs offered is to shine them and follow a special "care-routine".

Well that could be nice for people if it is different and doesn't require as involved of a care routine.
post #5289 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I'll give it a go:

I am ordering a pair of bespoke shoes and have a couple options, was trying to decide between black museum calf and the St Crispin black baby calf from AA crack. Is there an appreciable difference in quality between the two or am I splitting hairs at this point?

Many makers have said that the St. Crispins baby calf is the best calf they have used so I'd opt for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post

Nice info the make things more clear.

Do you know what the VNA stands for? Is it veg tanned?

Not sure if it is veg-tanned, but by the look of it it isn't. Most leathers these days aren't.
post #5290 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I'll give it a go:

I am ordering a pair of bespoke shoes and have a couple options, was trying to decide between black museum calf and the St Crispin black baby calf from AA crack. Is there an appreciable difference in quality between the two or am I splitting hairs at this point?

I have a pair of bespoke shoes from G&G in black baby calf, presumably sourced from AA Crack. Baby calf is thin and very soft but wears faster than regular calf. Mine have started to crack at the crease.
post #5291 of 6163

I accidently dropped a bit of liquid gall soap onto my pair of St. Crispin's - after wiping them with a damp cloth this is what they look like:

 

 

 

Any idea what I should do?

 

Thanks in advance.

post #5292 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebert View Post

I accidently dropped a bit of liquid gall soap onto my pair of St. Crispin's - after wiping them with a damp cloth this is what they look like:

Thanks in advance.

Others may have better suggestions, but FWIW, you can always send them back to SC to have them restained/ recolored. I had the same problem with some crust leather boots a few years back and SC nicely fixed them for me.
post #5293 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I have a pair of bespoke shoes from G&G in black baby calf, presumably sourced from AA Crack. Baby calf is thin and very soft but wears faster than regular calf. Mine have started to crack at the crease.

Wow that is a shame. I didn't realize that it was that delicate.
post #5294 of 6163
Very nice!
post #5295 of 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebert View Post

 

Any idea what I should do?

 

Thanks in advance.

Look in the shoe care thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread