or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread - Page 349

post #5221 of 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post


Not really. SC problems are mostly clicking and finishing related.

And occasional pegs falling out.

Just stating facts. I only have 5 pairs and one of them has making problem and one clicking. Won't buy them unless I find steep discount.


makes sense. 

post #5222 of 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post


I'm sorry that you feel that way @MoosicPa
 , but that is not what I am saying at all.

No I can read English and exactly what you said. You can blah blah blah all you want, but know how I treat and care for my shoes while you have no knowledge but prefer to make unsupported suppositions as to why my shoes look like they do, insinuating that I'm some sort of dufus Tripping over my own feet and running into objects. If you want to start making unsupported suppositions about other members on here, just remember 2 can play at that game.
post #5223 of 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

SC high priced -> SC is great -> SC can do no wrong -> Whiners don't understand SC

Meh.

Thread turning into those useless 5 star reviews on Yelp.

Your reading comprehension is poor.
post #5224 of 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post

No I can read English and exactly what you said. You can blah blah blah all you want, but know how I treat and care for my shoes while you have no knowledge but prefer to make unsupported suppositions as to why my shoes look like they do, insinuating that I'm some sort of dufus Tripping over my own feet and running into objects. If you want to start making unsupported suppositions about other members on here, just remember 2 can play at that game.

Nobody is saying that. Things hit shoes all of the time without the wearers knowledge. Do you cross your feet in front of you sometimes? This will happen. Living in NYC I don't drive, but when I do in the burbs I am amazed at the amount of abuse shoes get just from grazing the pedals in a car... It just don't make sense to produce lightening effects like that on areas of the shoe that doesn't bend. It just doesn't appear like that for no reason. Crust calf pigments and polish displace. It is what happens, but it only happens with creasing and bumping into things.

I'm curious as to Chogall's assertion that there are clicking problems. How can you tell on finished shoes? I would think if patterns don't line up after they are clicked that's one thing, but anything else I haven't seen on a finished shoe. As to makes making noise, I had G&G's that made noise and couldn't be fixed. I mean I think many things need to be filled under "shit happens" and not some nefarious intention of the maker that warrants never touching their shoes again.
post #5225 of 6165
Well, now i'm glad that his shoes look like shit. What a prick.
post #5226 of 6165
My AS hatch grain lost color simply by polishing them. I always condition and then polish a new pair of shoes. When I did so, the medium brown coloration simply came off. All my attempts to darken the effected areas failed. Color simply would not take.
post #5227 of 6165

Anyone selling popcorn? This is getting good

post #5228 of 6165

I'm with @MoosicPa on this.

 

To me, it seems clear that there is some problem with his pair of St C. It doesn't matter how he walks/kicks/drunken stumbles if he does it to all his pair of shoes but only that pair has a problem. He isn't some shoe noob who can't polish and touch up his shoes. It doesn't seem to have helped his pair at all.

 

If the leather has an issue, the maker should not use it. If the finishing has an issue, the maker should fix it. 

 

For full disclosure, I don't own and don't plan to get any St C because:

  • IMO the value to price is poor.
  • I am not convinced by wooden peg waists and it would drive me nuts if it fell out.
  • They seem to make any shit you ask them to including some (imo) hideous pairs. 

 

I also fully agree with @chogall that there tends to be blind support for many brands (not only St C) on SF.

 

P.S. The only reason why I stumbled into this thread was because of the discussion about Horween Russian calf / Hatchgrain.

post #5229 of 6165
I step away for a little and wow that escalated quickly
post #5230 of 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

I step away for a little and wow that escalated quickly

Yea, it's getting pretty old by now.

 

@MoosicPa got a poorly finished pair of shoes. I dunno why everyone feels the need to continue to chime in on how it isn't StC's fault or defend them. I also don't know how anyone could say that he is using his shoes incorrectly or doesn't know how to walk. 

 

Sucks for Moosic so why pour salt on the wound by telling him it's his fault? 

post #5231 of 6165
Sorry guys, didn't mean to take this thread down the rabbit hole... frown.gif, but I had to respond to what I perceived as a personal attack by mw313 when he stated that the issues with my shoes were "most likely from hitting the shoe with the heel of the other foot, or banging onto something when walking." He has no idea as to who I am, how I wear my shoes or the circumstances surrounding these issues, but felt compelled to make a diagnosis of the problem anyway, lacking any basic facts.

I take great pride in my shoe collection, shoe my trees, treat them with crème and polish on a regular basis, and most of the shoes I have still look box fresh, even though they have been worn frequently (some more than others). I also have a number of hatch grained shoes/boots from various makers (EG, JLP, G. Cleverley and C&J) and have never had an issue with the finishing coming off the shoe like I have had with the St. C. RUS leather. In fact, I have a 12+ year old pair of C&J I use as my Winter beater boots, and they look a far sight better than the RUS leather shoes after only 3 wears. I suppose if you are into the distressed look, this leather may be perfect for you. I however prefer to keep my shoes looking as close to new as possible.

That being said, this is not a slam on St. C's shoes. I have 20+ pairs of St. C's, and this is the only pair I have had an issue with, and it is not an issue with the shoe but rather the leather. They make a fine shoe, and I would recommend them to anyone, but I would advise against the RUS leather... unless you are interested in spending $1,500.00+ for a shoe with a distressed look. I was very disappointed in the leather, and the response from the vendor.

Lastly, my purpose in posting the pics of the shoes and my experience is to inform the community, so you can make an informed decision before you decide to purchase a RUS leather St. C.

Thanks guys, and sorry for the diversion. facepalm.gif I will try not to let it happen again.
post #5232 of 6165
Your point is very clear.

20 + pairs and no satisfaction to your claims?. That really pisses me off.
post #5233 of 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post

Sorry guys, didn't mean to take this thread down the rabbit hole... frown.gif, but I had to respond to what I perceived as a personal attack by mw313 when he stated that the issues with my shoes were "most likely from hitting the shoe with the heel of the other foot, or banging onto something when walking." He has no idea as to who I am, how I wear my shoes or the circumstances surrounding these issues, but felt compelled to make a diagnosis of the problem anyway, lacking any basic facts.

I take great pride in my shoe collection, shoe my trees, treat them with crème and polish on a regular basis, and most of the shoes I have still look box fresh, even though they have been worn frequently (some more than others). I also have a number of hatch grained shoes/boots from various makers (EG, JLP, G. Cleverley and C&J) and have never had an issue with the finishing coming off the shoe like I have had with the St. C. RUS leather. In fact, I have a 12+ year old pair of C&J I use as my Winter beater boots, and they look a far sight better than the RUS leather shoes after only 3 wears. I suppose if you are into the distressed look, this leather may be perfect for you. I however prefer to keep my shoes looking as close to new as possible.

That being said, this is not a slam on St. C's shoes. I have 20+ pairs of St. C's, and this is the only pair I have had an issue with, and it is not an issue with the shoe but rather the leather. They make a fine shoe, and I would recommend them to anyone, but I would advise against the RUS leather... unless you are interested in spending $1,500.00+ for a shoe with a distressed look. I was very disappointed in the leather, and the response from the vendor.

Lastly, my purpose in posting the pics of the shoes and my experience is to inform the community, so you can make an informed decision before you decide to purchase a RUS leather St. C.

Thanks guys, and sorry for the diversion. facepalm.gif I will try not to let it happen again.

No need to apologize.  Your photos and input on this specific situation, and many others, I have found extremely useful.  My takeaways from your more recent posts were exactly as you had intended, and while being one of the more effected customers of this particular situation I still had the impression that you were going to continue purchasing StC and overall you were happy with their products. Furthermore, I did not read an agenda into it other than presenting your own experience, which as I mentioned before was very helpful to me having placed my first MTO recently after only buying their RTW.  So as much as you could be, your perspective seem balanced to me.  Thanks

post #5234 of 6165
Sucks when stating facts is politically incorrect in this thread.
post #5235 of 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrydog View Post

My AS hatch grain lost color simply by polishing them. I always condition and then polish a new pair of shoes. When I did so, the medium brown coloration simply came off. All my attempts to darken the effected areas failed. Color simply would not take.

Read the more valuable comments above. My G&G bespoke didn't have problem taking colors from creams. Finishing problem exists for a good reason.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread