Popcorn in hand
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:54 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 2/9/16 at 5:20pm in Classic Menswear
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** Last post on 2/10/16 at 11:26pm in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread - Page 152post #2266 of 53155/11/14 at 8:30am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2267 of 53155/11/14 at 8:53amQuote:
As a general rule, yes. But I've seen smaller skins with fat wrinkles...depends on the animal. The moment the animal is up and moving around (after birth) fat wrinkles begin to set in as the neck and shoulder are moved. Short of what Thornton termed "milk calf" I suspect that the leather derived from any grazing animal...at any age...will have some degree of fat wrinkling.
Now having said that, I reiterate...best practices dictates that the vamps be cut from the prime areas, which, again amount to only a third of the hide not including the shoulder.
So, it begs the question, doesn't it? If one pair of vamps is cut from the kidney area (prime) and another pair (or two) is cut from marginal leather, does a maker charge less for shoes made from non-prime areas such as the shoulder? Do they make it clear to the customer?
To be fair, shoulder isn't necessarily waste. If I were making a pair of shoes for knock-around usage, for myself, I wouldn't hesitate to use carefully inspected shoulder for the quarters and maybe even the vamps. For instance, I have some left over Annonay French Calf that has already had a prime cutting removed--a pair of clear, pristine vamps for whole cut oxfords. What's left is over the rib cage and in the shoulder and does have fat wrinkles, but is otherwise pretty good quality leather.
Personally, I don't think I could, in good conscience, even offer that leather to the customer...much less charge him like it was prime. But seeing as how I paid exactly the same dollars per square foot for the shoulder as the butt I am not going to throw it away either. I'll use it...if only for fitter's models.
Of course cutting for maximum usage of the hide (regardless of quality) is common practice in all factory work. The marginal leather is paid for at the same rate as the prime. And throwing leather away is exactly the same as throwing money away. You can't afford to do that when you're trying to maximize profit and keep prices competitive with other makers who occupy the same niche.post #2268 of 53155/11/14 at 9:11amQuote:
You can ask them to lay some heavy antiquing on it and it will be much darker...I chose that route.post #2269 of 53155/11/14 at 9:13ampost #2270 of 53155/11/14 at 11:26ampost #2271 of 53155/11/14 at 11:41ampost #2272 of 53155/11/14 at 11:45ampost #2273 of 53155/11/14 at 1:00pmpost #2274 of 53155/11/14 at 1:20pm
Yes of course you are correct. It was meant to be a kind of joke. For me the St.C's will be much nicer than my existing collection (to include some MTOs I'm still waiting for) so it's easy to think I should just offload everything else and make them the new standard. I'll try to hold out until I receive my first order before ordering anymore, maybe.Quote:
Thank you. So did you order a pair in 611 and ask for the antiquing or did you just mention wanting a final color and let them decide how to provide it for you? Also would you mind linking me to a photo of it?post #2275 of 53155/11/14 at 11:48pmpost #2276 of 53155/12/14 at 2:34ampost #2277 of 53155/12/14 at 3:13pmpost #2278 of 53155/12/14 at 6:26pmpost #2279 of 53155/12/14 at 10:37pm
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizing
- › Unstructured Slim CANALI Blazer (like Boglioli) 4 seconds ago
- › Eidos Napoli 25 seconds ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 3 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 4 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?