Popcorn in hand
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:24 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 7/22/15 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 7/28/15 at 11:25am in Classic Menswear
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** Last post on Yesterday at 4:53 pm in Classic Menswear
- ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** Last post on Today at 7:47 am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread - Page 152post #2266 of 41165/11/14 at 8:30am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2267 of 41165/11/14 at 8:53amQuote:
As a general rule, yes. But I've seen smaller skins with fat wrinkles...depends on the animal. The moment the animal is up and moving around (after birth) fat wrinkles begin to set in as the neck and shoulder are moved. Short of what Thornton termed "milk calf" I suspect that the leather derived from any grazing animal...at any age...will have some degree of fat wrinkling.
Now having said that, I reiterate...best practices dictates that the vamps be cut from the prime areas, which, again amount to only a third of the hide not including the shoulder.
So, it begs the question, doesn't it? If one pair of vamps is cut from the kidney area (prime) and another pair (or two) is cut from marginal leather, does a maker charge less for shoes made from non-prime areas such as the shoulder? Do they make it clear to the customer?
To be fair, shoulder isn't necessarily waste. If I were making a pair of shoes for knock-around usage, for myself, I wouldn't hesitate to use carefully inspected shoulder for the quarters and maybe even the vamps. For instance, I have some left over Annonay French Calf that has already had a prime cutting removed--a pair of clear, pristine vamps for whole cut oxfords. What's left is over the rib cage and in the shoulder and does have fat wrinkles, but is otherwise pretty good quality leather.
Personally, I don't think I could, in good conscience, even offer that leather to the customer...much less charge him like it was prime. But seeing as how I paid exactly the same dollars per square foot for the shoulder as the butt I am not going to throw it away either. I'll use it...if only for fitter's models.
Of course cutting for maximum usage of the hide (regardless of quality) is common practice in all factory work. The marginal leather is paid for at the same rate as the prime. And throwing leather away is exactly the same as throwing money away. You can't afford to do that when you're trying to maximize profit and keep prices competitive with other makers who occupy the same niche.post #2268 of 41165/11/14 at 9:11amQuote:
You can ask them to lay some heavy antiquing on it and it will be much darker...I chose that route.post #2269 of 41165/11/14 at 9:13ampost #2270 of 41165/11/14 at 11:26ampost #2271 of 41165/11/14 at 11:41ampost #2272 of 41165/11/14 at 11:45ampost #2273 of 41165/11/14 at 1:00pmpost #2274 of 41165/11/14 at 1:20pm
Yes of course you are correct. It was meant to be a kind of joke. For me the St.C's will be much nicer than my existing collection (to include some MTOs I'm still waiting for) so it's easy to think I should just offload everything else and make them the new standard. I'll try to hold out until I receive my first order before ordering anymore, maybe.Quote:
Thank you. So did you order a pair in 611 and ask for the antiquing or did you just mention wanting a final color and let them decide how to provide it for you? Also would you mind linking me to a photo of it?post #2275 of 41165/11/14 at 11:48pmpost #2276 of 41165/12/14 at 2:34ampost #2277 of 41165/12/14 at 3:13pmpost #2278 of 41165/12/14 at 6:26pmpost #2279 of 41165/12/14 at 10:37pm
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › things that are making you happy 47 seconds ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 1 minute ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 1 minute ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 1 minute ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 5 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 7 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › What are you reading? 12 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 13 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...