or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread - Page 92

post #1366 of 2923

nice shoe collection PB!  I especially like the austerity brogue.  I believe that CRU is crust, as mentioned.  The FUN ones have a bit more antiquing, and are 'less matte' in terms of finish.  I have a picture of the various swatches available in SC, and that looks to be the main difference.

 

Wurger,

 

Interesting...I used to wear nothing but black before, but now hardly wear black, whether it is for the office or for the weekend.  I think my proportion of no-black shoes to black (just for work shoes) is at least 2 non-black pairs (some shade of brown, generally) for every black pair.  I have a pair of the black brown in the full brogue, and it is one of my favourites in the rotation.  On the Leather Soul website, there is a picture of it with what appear to be chinos.  I don't really wear it with non-office pants, but find that it does work very well with jeans and certain non-formal pants.

 

I am contemplating getting a black pair of SCs.  This is what I have in mind.

and this is a close second.....

 

I like the contrast of the grainy calf with the smooth finish.  It adds a bit of visual interest.  Interested in hearing your opinions. 

(borrowed the images from MTO paris).

post #1367 of 2923
I only wear black shoes, it's pretty well known here on style forum. I just think they look sleeker, and a little less distracting. They form a better line and make the look a bit more "grounded" in my opinion. While I like seeing shoes in brown and burgundy and such to me I feel that such leather items look better as furniture. My whole appearance and wardrobe is built on very subtle details and distinguishing features. I like having all black shoes in different shapes, styles, and leathers. Simply, it's just my style and I don't feel like adding variety just because variety exists. This is another reason why I love saint crispins, because all of the leathers are hand treated and such no same shoe will ever be exactly the same, you can get so much interesting variation just from the fact that it is a handmade and finished product. Even on my shell punch caps the brouging you can see some of the brown on the inside of the punching where the dye on the shell didn't penetrate all of the way through. Subtle, awesome things. Ultimately, I like habitual behavior, it allows my mind to focus on more important things.

Those austerity brogues and Adelaide's posted are both awesome, however I would note that any grain is inherently more casual than smooth calf, that might be an issue depending on where you are wearing them, that's pretty subtle though. I'm not sure whether I want to do an Adelaide like the above without punching model 215, or model 235 in black calf
Edited by patrickBOOTH - 12/23/13 at 9:42am
post #1368 of 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendous View Post

nice shoe collection PB!  I especially like the austerity brogue.  I believe that CRU is crust, as mentioned.  The FUN ones have a bit more antiquing, and are 'less matte' in terms of finish.  I have a picture of the various swatches available in SC, and that looks to be the main difference.

Wurger,

Interesting...I used to wear nothing but black before, but now hardly wear black, whether it is for the office or for the weekend.  I think my proportion of no-black shoes to black (just for work shoes) is at least 2 non-black pairs (some shade of brown, generally) for every black pair.  I have a pair of the black brown in the full brogue, and it is one of my favourites in the rotation.  On the Leather Soul website, there is a picture of it with what appear to be chinos.  I don't really wear it with non-office pants, but find that it does work very well with jeans and certain non-formal pants.

I am contemplating getting a black pair of SCs.  This is what I have in mind.


and this is a close second.....



I like the contrast of the grainy calf with the smooth finish.  It adds a bit of visual interest.  Interested in hearing your opinions. 
(borrowed the images from MTO paris).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendous View Post

nice shoe collection PB!  I especially like the austerity brogue.  I believe that CRU is crust, as mentioned.  The FUN ones have a bit more antiquing, and are 'less matte' in terms of finish.  I have a picture of the various swatches available in SC, and that looks to be the main difference.

Wurger,

Interesting...I used to wear nothing but black before, but now hardly wear black, whether it is for the office or for the weekend.  I think my proportion of no-black shoes to black (just for work shoes) is at least 2 non-black pairs (some shade of brown, generally) for every black pair.  I have a pair of the black brown in the full brogue, and it is one of my favourites in the rotation.  On the Leather Soul website, there is a picture of it with what appear to be chinos.  I don't really wear it with non-office pants, but find that it does work very well with jeans and certain non-formal pants.

I am contemplating getting a black pair of SCs.  This is what I have in mind.


and this is a close second.....



I like the contrast of the grainy calf with the smooth finish.  It adds a bit of visual interest.  Interested in hearing your opinions. 
(borrowed the images from MTO paris).

Wurger, i would just wear the 522b to work...they're excellent

Stupendous

I also don't wear much black. But I tend to prefer black when done in whole cuts and captoes. PB's whole cuts exemplary . I'd get the austerity brogue in brown or burgundy and make up the captoe in black. As for the grain, it's a question of how you intend to wear them. Aesthetically the detail is v nice though.
post #1369 of 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I only wear black shoes, it's pretty well known here on style forum. I just think they look sleeker, and a little less distracting. They form a better line and make the look a bit more "grounded" in my opinion. While it like seeing shoes in brown and burgundy and such to me I feel that such leather items look better as furniture. My whole appearance and wardrobe is built on very subtle details and distinguishing features. I like having all black shoes in different shapes, styles, and leathers. Simply, it's just my style and I don't feel like adding variety just because variety exists. This is another reason why I love saint crispins, because all of the leathers are hand treated and such no same shoe will ever be exactly the same, you can get so much interesting variation just from the fact that it is a handmade and finished product. Even on my shell punch caps the brouging you can see some of the brown on the inside of the punching where the dye on the shell didn't penetrate all of the way through. Subtle, awesome things. Ultimately, I like habitual behavior, it allows my mind to focus on more important things.

Those austerity brogues and Adelaide's posted are both awesome, however I would note that any grain is inherently more casual than smooth calf, that might be an issue depending on where you are wearing them, that's pretty subtle though. I'm not sure weather I want to do an Adelaide like the above without punching model 215, or model 235 in black calf

Thanks PB.  That's an interesting viewpoint.  I work in finance, and travel quite often to different countries for work.  While most people in my industry wear only black, as it has been pointed out here, among other places, that only black shoes can really be considered CBD, I've gone the other way, and mostly only wear brown, shades thereof, or even vintage cherry at work.  Since I work in Singapore, strict CBD rules do not really apply here, for a variety of reasons.

 

What you said about there being small little details in Saint Crispin shoes, even between say the right and left shoe of one pair, is so true. I was attracted to SCs primarily because of the finish (we covet what we see), and then really wanted a pair due to the solid feeling I get while wearing a pair, the little subtleties in the antiquing, and the fit - they fit me better than any of my other shoes.  I wish I had the gelt to buy nothing but SCs.

 

Thanks for pointing out the fact that the grain would make the shoe a bit less formal - I hadn't really considered that (although it is on the periphery of my consciousness every time I look at the shoes - like I was missing something).  That is something that I will have to take into consideration when I order my black shoes.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc108 View Post



Wurger, i would just wear the 522b to work...they're excellent

Stupendous

I also don't wear much black. But I tend to prefer black when done in whole cuts and captoes. PB's whole cuts exemplary . I'd get the austerity brogue in brown or burgundy and make up the captoe in black. As for the grain, it's a question of how you intend to wear them. Aesthetically the detail is v nice though.

 

Thanks nyc.  Appreciate the feedback.  Yes, when I saw PB's wholecuts, I had to pause, 'hmmmm, now THAT's interesting!'.  I actually have an MTO that I expect in February that is an austerity brogue but with a medallion toe.  It is also made up of two different leathers, one smooth and the other grained, and the colors are subtly different - should be interesting.  After that, I fully intend to tackle the black shoe choice issue! :)

post #1370 of 2923
Yes, I do wear it to work, but not on the weekend, so my point is that dark/black brown isn't as versatile for me as I thought.
post #1371 of 2923
Fluorescent light porn
DF393BA9-D7D2-4DFC-B18C-91AAD940E220_zpsmxknxuvk.jpg
post #1372 of 2923
nice look in black Patrick

Busting out some 522's first wear tonight.
I originally ordered a dark green pair, they messed up the color and delivered burgundy. But I liked so I kept. and reordered green, so now have 2 522's in what I think are pretty versatile colors.



post #1373 of 2923
^ nod[1].gif
post #1374 of 2923
I just bought some amazing Saint Crispin's Chukkas in the shrunken leather. I wore them once in rain and they have these spots that will not come out. I sent it back to them to refinish the leather and after wearing once more in a light rain, they spotted again. Polish will not cover it up.

Has anyone here experienced this with the SC Shrunken Leather?

Should I just keep it and live with it or get a refund? It may not be that noticeable ti the passerby but I know it's there and $1660 is a lot to pay for a shoe with spotting.

Your thoughts anyone?



post #1375 of 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewConvert View Post

Should I just keep it and live with it or get a refund? It may not be that noticeable ti the passerby but I know it's there and $1660 is a lot to pay for a shoe with spotting.

 

   you absolutely should NOT even think of trying to ' live ' with spotting like that .... particularly St Crispin

   I own two StC in their shrunken calf and have never seen anything like this with mine, especially from being out in the rain.

   since StC apparently refinished them and it has happened again something is WAY off.

   how long ago was the refinish and what product(s) do you use to take care of them ?

   the leather looks dry to be honest

post #1376 of 2923
I use all Saphir products. I only used an appropriate small amount of Renovateur on them. That's it. The spotting is also on the sole too. I was thinking that I may need to get some new ones made. How do you take of the SC shrunken leather? I have not even put polish on these yet.
post #1377 of 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGent View Post

   you absolutely should NOT even think of trying to ' live ' with spotting like that .... particularly St Crispin
   I own two StC in their shrunken calf and have never seen anything like this with mine, especially from being out in the rain.
   since StC apparently refinished them and it has happened again something is WAY off.
   how long ago was the refinish and what product(s) do you use to take care of them ?
   the leather looks dry to be honest



I use all Saphir products. I only used an appropriate small amount of Renovateur on them. That's it. The spotting is also on the sole too. I was thinking that I may need to get some new ones made. How do you take of the SC shrunken leather? I have not even put polish on these yet.
post #1378 of 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewConvert View Post

I just bought some amazing Saint Crispin's Chukkas in the shrunken leather. I wore them once in rain and they have these spots that will not come out. I sent it back to them to refinish the leather and after wearing once more in a light rain, they spotted again. Polish will not cover it up.

Has anyone here experienced this with the SC Shrunken Leather?

Should I just keep it and live with it or get a refund? It may not be that noticeable ti the passerby but I know it's there and $1660 is a lot to pay for a shoe with spotting.

Your thoughts anyone?



acid rain does this. time to move?
post #1379 of 2923
LOL. I'd rather have the SC shoes I paid for. Should I try to use more shoe conditioner to moisturize the leather?
post #1380 of 2923
They refinished them a week ago. I LOVE these shoes but I am thinking of returning them and getting Gaziano's Regency:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread