or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Larry Summers Criticizes Suit-wearing Students
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Larry Summers Criticizes Suit-wearing Students

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/20/technology/summers_winklevoss_facebook.fortune/index.htm

"One of the things you learn as a college president is that if an undergraduate is wearing a tie and jacket on Thursday afternoon at three o'clock, there are two possibilities. One is that they're looking for a job and have an interview; the other is that they are an a**hole. This was the latter case."
post #2 of 37
I really ought to report this thread for its inflammatory and misleading title.
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/20/technology/summers_winklevoss_facebook.fortune/index.htm

"One of the things you learn as a college president is that if an undergraduate is wearing a tie and jacket on Thursday afternoon at three o'clock, there are two possibilities. One is that they're looking for a job and have an interview; the other is that they are an a**hole. This was the latter case."

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #4 of 37
I wore a jacket and tie in public high school and in college. Dropped the tie but kept the jacket and slacks in law school.

I'll admit I was a strange boy.
post #5 of 37
I don't know why someone would dress up for class in high school or college. It's not 1930 anymore. I'm starting grad school soon and may be dressed up just because I'll be coming from work.
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

I don't know why someone would dress up for class in high school or college. It's not 1930 anymore. I'm starting grad school soon and may be dressed up just because I'll be coming from work.

It allowed me to pretend to myself I was better than everyone.
post #7 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

I really ought to report this thread for its inflammatory and misleading title.

The actual article title was too risky to use.
post #8 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post


It allowed me to pretend to myself I was better than everyone.

That's probably what Summers meant. Polls don't get much love, but if people were anonymously asked that, maybe many would admit it.
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post


It allowed me to pretend to myself I was better than everyone.

I had not problem pretending to myself that I was better than everyone in my t-shirts, torn jeans, and sneaks. Well, at least I was different, and that was good enough.
post #10 of 37
This irked me. I wore a suit every day in college as I do now. I guess you could argue that I am an asshole though.
post #11 of 37
I dressed sort of like a homeless guy in law school, until I got a job during my third year. Then I wore a coat and tie most days.
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

I dressed sort of like a homeless guy in law school, until I got a job during my third year. Then I wore a coat and tie most days.

In my 2nd year of undergraduate college until graduation. I got a job working as an usher in a opera house. So any afternoon classes I had to dress in a suit and tie beforehand and go straight to work. The worst was being assigned matinee shows and having to be dressed in a suit and tie for the whole day walking around campus.

You may be perceived as an "asshole" or worse: "trying too hard" , especially if you're just wearing a full suit and tie by choice (which I don't agree with). But whenever I explained that it was for my job everyone (normal dudes and especially the teachers) respected that. Plus it always helped with the ladies - seriously it really helped because dates either had to be after an opera show or the 2-3hours before one so I was usually "dressed up" for dates.

I loved that job... I got to see tons of world renowned ballets, operas, plays, soloists, ect for free. It was like being forced fed culture that I normally wouldn't pay for or appreciate by my own accord.

Guys that ended up wearing suits and ties by choice? Everyone on campus just would get used to it and then it was no big deal. Wearing a suit is no different than a girl getting dolled up and wearing a nice dress to class.
post #13 of 37
It's excessive. I've only done it when an appropriate function AND time constraints behove me. Of course, when I do a suit (either the Burberry London or the Prorsum), it's french cuffs, tie tack, English shoes. If you wear a suit everyday, you're doing a half-assed job....cheap suits, skipping on the cleaning, bad shoes etc. Fortunately at my college, the upper class kids would see right through it and the ordinary'ish kids would write him off as a douchebag. That said, sport coats are the way to go (at least on my campus). Basically, a tie is where the line is crosses.
post #14 of 37
Before the president of Harvard and coming from the background the Winklevosses do, I think it's ridiculous for Summers to criticize the twins. I, and no one else I know at my school, have ever met with our president dressed in anything less than coat and tie. It might be affected if done without cause day to day, but in this context, I think the Winklevosses are in the right. Maybe in the modern era's more diverse, liberal Harvard, button ups and khakis might be appropriate as well, but there is certainly nothing wrong with meeting the Harvard president as the Winklevosses did.
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker View Post

Before the president of Harvard and coming from the background the Winklevosses do, I think it's ridiculous for Summers to criticize the twins. I, and no one else I know at my school, have ever met with our president dressed in anything less than coat and tie. It might be affected if done without cause day to day, but in this context, I think the Winklevosses are in the right. Maybe in the modern era's more diverse, liberal Harvard, button ups and khakis might be appropriate as well, but there is certainly nothing wrong with meeting the Harvard president as the Winklevosses did.

i think that he really said that about them because they have turned into true assholes!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Larry Summers Criticizes Suit-wearing Students