or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wearing a Waistcoat/Vest Casually
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wearing a Waistcoat/Vest Casually

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

So, I own a 3 piece suit and I was wondering if I'd 'be able' to wear the waistcoat casually?  I've never seen anyone where I live doing it, because the majority of men here aren't really into fashion.  I tried it on with a t-shirt and thought it looked good, but I got thinking that maybe there a different type of of waistcoat that's made specifically for casual wear?

 

Anyway, since I've never dipped my toes in this, I was wondering what the basic do's and don'ts are for this.

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 16
Nope.

This is in the same realm as Tie+No Jacket, or Taking off Jacket after Wedding.

If you happen to be doing something that exerts you physically then sure, but that is just a temporary reprieve - and not as a mode of dress.
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX View Post

Nope.

This is in the same realm as Tie+No Jacket, or Taking off Jacket after Wedding.

If you happen to be doing something that exerts you physically then sure, but that is just a temporary reprieve - and not as a mode of dress.

So not that big of a deal? If you think it looks good I say at least try it. Maybe you'll feel like a waiter, maybe you'll feel like James Bond -- disguised as a waiter. But seriously, do what you want, no one's going to be too upset.
post #4 of 16
So you're saying you want to wear your vest over a T-shirt? I wouldn't recommend it solely because it kinda kills the purpose of the vest. It looks like something out of a Target clothing catalog in my opinion. Wearing it over a buttoned shirt though could be swung though. That's all about confidence and making it look effortless/comfortable.
post #5 of 16
The Style Blogger

Here's a link to an article about your question, and then some. I'm not a fan of the pants he's wearing to demonstrate the waistcoat only look, or having it unbuttoned, but I like the concept and think the look he has with the pants + vest is great. I wouldn't recommend a vest with a t-shirt, but I think that's because the look screams Jonas Brothers to me.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergl View Post

So you're saying you want to wear your vest over a T-shirt? I wouldn't recommend it solely because it kinda kills the purpose of the vest. It looks like something out of a Target clothing catalog in my opinion. Wearing it over a buttoned shirt though could be swung though. That's all about confidence and making it look effortless/comfortable.

No I was thinking with a shirt and tie. Over a T-shirt would be too much of a dichotomy to me. But I don't even own any three piece suits (too warm for me) so I don't have any vests to play with.
post #7 of 16
I wear a vest casually somewhat often, but always with a buttoned shirt. I personally like it with the sleeves rolled up, reassures people you aren't trying to be overly formal.
post #8 of 16
I wear a vest like this quite often:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
reIMG_8424-682x1024.jpg

I have nevor worn an ascot like he does in this picture, but I like the idea of a simple, subtle one with a look like this.
post #9 of 16
Vest with no jacket just seems too GQ / Justin Timberlake 2006 to me.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post

I wear a vest like this quite often:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
reIMG_8424-682x1024.jpg

I have nevor worn an ascot like he does in this picture, but I like the idea of a simple, subtle one with a look like this.

+1 I also don't think it will always look out of place. Sometimes when I go out in the evening (let's say to a club) I do wear a waistcoat. smile.gif

Check this out: (Yeah White Collar is famous for Neal Caffrey and his suits... whatever just look at the picture nod[1].gif )

500

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTionS View Post

Vest with no jacket just seems too GQ / Justin Timberlake 2006 to me.

I get your point but everyone has his associations with certain outfits/styles smile.gif
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 

How about a waistcoat with a buttoned shirt and jeans?

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet View Post

So, I own a 3 piece suit and I was wondering if I'd 'be able' to wear the waistcoat casually.... I tried it on with a t-shirt and thought it looked good


A venerable tradition:

TmUUF.jpg
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 

Not quite the same.

post #14 of 16
Vests meant to be worn without a jacket are "self backed" that is to say that the facing cloth is used for the back as well. Bemberg backed vests are supposed to be worn under a jacket, lest one look like a doofus.shog[1].gif

YMMV
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 

What are 'facing cloth' and 'bemberg'?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wearing a Waistcoat/Vest Casually