or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › New Forum Support  › New changes to B&S forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New changes to B&S forum - Page 7  

post #91 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullswin View Post


This.

Perhaps it's largely due to a decline in overall traffic (both sellers and buyers) as folks become used to the new platform. But regardless, the urgency factor has disappeared.

I was taking another hard look at B&S and realized Im less inclined to click on a classified because of the price being transparent. When I look at eBay, and I see the price listed in a buy it now auction, unless its some sort of ridiculously instakop sick deal, I keep it in my watch list and come back after a few hours and see if I like it. On the old B&S, if the SAME EXACT thing was listed at the SAME EXACT (non-ridiculously instakop deal) price, I would probably PM the seller and buy the item.

Why? Its the competitive spirit that drives most of these sales (again, for me - anyone else please agree or disagree). First you had to refresh the page at the right time, then catch the thread minutes after it was listed, then scroll through tons of stuff in the thread (and if anyone didnt realize to bury your best item at the bottom so all your other items at least got glanced over, you do now), then PM the guy, then wait for the reply, then jump on paypal and pay....

See the common denominator? You had to be first at everything you did to "win" that item. This also caused other potential buyers to give you the "aw, man - 2 seconds to late" and "Spoo, if that does not work out for you, PM me, OK?" You even had backup buyers for something hot before the money left your wallet!!

In this new system, everything is there for you to see - I can leisurely browse the listings, maybe "watch" them, go back to work for a bit and reevaluate the piece - but then my senses kick in and Im like "nah, dont really need that". Poof.

Anyone else feel the same, or is it just me?
post #92 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


I was taking another hard look at B&S and realized Im less inclined to click on a classified because of the price being transparent. When I look at eBay, and I see the price listed in a buy it now auction, unless its some sort of ridiculously instakop sick deal, I keep it in my watch list and come back after a few hours and see if I like it. On the old B&S, if the SAME EXACT thing was listed at the SAME EXACT (non-ridiculously instakop deal) price, I would probably PM the seller and buy the item.

Why? Its the competitive spirit that drives most of these sales (again, for me - anyone else please agree or disagree). First you had to refresh the page at the right time, then catch the thread minutes after it was listed, then scroll through tons of stuff in the thread (and if anyone didnt realize to bury your best item at the bottom so all your other items at least got glanced over, you do now), then PM the guy, then wait for the reply, then jump on paypal and pay....

See the common denominator? You had to be first at everything you did to "win" that item. This also caused other potential buyers to give you the "aw, man - 2 seconds to late" and "Spoo, if that does not work out for you, PM me, OK?" You even had backup buyers for something hot before the money left your wallet!!

In this new system, everything is there for you to see - I can leisurely browse the listings, maybe "watch" them, go back to work for a bit and reevaluate the piece - but then my senses kick in and Im like "nah, dont really need that". Poof.

Anyone else feel the same, or is it just me?

Agreed, hope the admins do something about it.
post #93 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post



I was taking another hard look at B&S and realized Im less inclined to click on a classified because of the price being transparent. When I look at eBay, and I see the price listed in a buy it now auction, unless its some sort of ridiculously instakop sick deal, I keep it in my watch list and come back after a few hours and see if I like it. On the old B&S, if the SAME EXACT thing was listed at the SAME EXACT (non-ridiculously instakop deal) price, I would probably PM the seller and buy the item.

Why? Its the competitive spirit that drives most of these sales (again, for me - anyone else please agree or disagree). First you had to refresh the page at the right time, then catch the thread minutes after it was listed, then scroll through tons of stuff in the thread (and if anyone didnt realize to bury your best item at the bottom so all your other items at least got glanced over, you do now), then PM the guy, then wait for the reply, then jump on paypal and pay....

See the common denominator? You had to be first at everything you did to "win" that item. This also caused other potential buyers to give you the "aw, man - 2 seconds to late" and "Spoo, if that does not work out for you, PM me, OK?" You even had backup buyers for something hot before the money left your wallet!!

In this new system, everything is there for you to see - I can leisurely browse the listings, maybe "watch" them, go back to work for a bit and reevaluate the piece - but then my senses kick in and Im like "nah, dont really need that". Poof.

Anyone else feel the same, or is it just me?


one thing i'm failing to understand totally... why is this? why has the "competitive spirit" gone?

 

all i know is that i haven't sold anything in 2 weeks, and have had less than 5 PMs regarding my stuff. Last month i had to clear my inbox every few days cos it was getting pounded. i would wake up to 5-10 PMs a day inquiring about stuff with a very small percentage of flakers now i don't even have those guys

 

post #94 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post




one thing i'm failing to understand totally... why is this? why has the "competitive spirit" gone?

 

all i know is that i haven't sold anything in 2 weeks, and have had less than 5 PMs regarding my stuff. Last month i had to clear my inbox every few days cos it was getting pounded. i would wake up to 5-10 PMs a day inquiring about stuff with a very small percentage of flakers now i don't even have those guys

 


Its gone, IMO, because of the transparency of information listed at a glance - outlined in detail in my post. What do you think?
post #95 of 549

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Its gone, IMO, because of the transparency of information listed at a glance - outlined in detail in my post. What do you think?

 

i see what you're saying, also it is magnified by the fact that only 1 item is in the listing also, there is no need to click at all (automatically lowering the views, which someone else also commented that he used to get 300+ now they're getting 20-30...)

post #96 of 549
There should be a thread for us to bitch about the items being sold on B & S.

This does not mean we want to shit on the ads and items, but rather it is an avenue to comment on the items and prices like WTF! Why is the Borrelli sweater selling for 700? Its only 400 brand new!

The administrators do not realise there are many rubes and newbies here.
So Gaziano shoes done for Xilingto China shoe shop is not a Gaziano shoes as advertised but its a Xilingto China shoe shop shoe and the latter sells for 200 not 500. Its fine even the buyer knows about it and wants to fork the 500 but not all will know.

Also, I personally would want to know which are the items on BS being bought and flipped from Yoox or Ebay.
post #97 of 549

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jangofett View Post

Also, I personally would want to know which are the items on BS being bought and flipped from Yoox or Ebay.

 

That makes a difference because....?

 

edit: also, if things are wildly overprice i suggest 2 things.

  1. dont buy it, forget you ever saw it or subscribe and see if the price drops (which it probably will)
  2. PM the seller and make an offer...

 

they dont sound difficult and i would welcome such buyers, as has been repeated MANY times, the worst the seller can say is no thanks or make a counter-offer (which i think was also fun in the old B&S i had many heated negotiations with people, theWGP stands out off hand and we always came to a reasonable deal)

 

post #98 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs View Post

I would appreciate it if it was possible to list more than one item of the same category in one listing. For example, I have thirty high end ties from the same brand that I would be happy to sell for the same price. In the past, a buyer could look at one listing and quickly shoot me a PM asking for "ties 5,7, 9 and 12" or "would you accept $xxx for ties 5, 7, 9 & 12." Now, even if the buyer can see in one listing that I have another 29 ties for sale, what are the odds that he will look at all the other listings to make a multi-item purchase?

+ 111111

This is an unfortunate and probably unintended consequence of this new system. I also agree with Spoo's point about the urgency...
post #99 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangofett View Post


Also, I personally would want to know which are the items on BS being bought and flipped from Yoox or Ebay.

what does that have to do with anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

Quote:

 

That makes a difference because....?

 

edit: also, if things are wildly overprice i suggest 2 things.

  1. dont buy it, forget you ever saw it or subscribe and see if the price drops (which it probably will)
  2. PM the seller and make an offer...

 

they dont sound difficult and i would welcome such buyers, as has been repeated MANY times, the worst the seller can say is no thanks or make a counter-offer (which i think was also fun in the old B&S i had many heated negotiations with people, theWGP stands out off hand and we always came to a reasonable deal)

 


+1 I had many great deal negotiations in PMs - mostly for multiple items in a thread *ahem*. I would have to set aside 45m after posting a thread because I knew that was going to be like the war room lol8[1].gif
post #100 of 549
Spoo, by urgency, do you mean that there's fragmented viewing because of the categories?

In other worrds, less "don't delay, act now" sentiment, and more "I'm-sure-that-pair-of-shoes-will-be-there-tomorrow-because-the-schmoes-will-be-looking-at-the-suit-threads?"
post #101 of 549
At a risk of echoing everything everyone else has said here, I really enjoyed just being able to browse megathreads, or click on a thread for a pair of G&Gs just so I could ogle them even if they weren't my size, and I think the most fun thing for me was gambling on whether to cop things at first glance, or maybe try to wait out a couple of price drop cycles for an even better deal while risking someone else snatching up the item before I could get to it. I miss the old B&S, even if I've only ever bought three items from it. It felt like just as tight-knit and interesting a community as the MC and SW&D forums, and it's definitely lost that feel.
post #102 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

Quote:

 

That makes a difference because....?

 

edit: also, if things are wildly overprice i suggest 2 things.

  1. dont buy it, forget you ever saw it or subscribe and see if the price drops (which it probably will)
  2. PM the seller and make an offer...

 

they dont sound difficult and i would welcome such buyers, as has been repeated MANY times, the worst the seller can say is no thanks or make a counter-offer (which i think was also fun in the old B&S i had many heated negotiations with people, theWGP stands out off hand and we always came to a reasonable deal)

 


1. The point is many of us including myself, would not know the so call market price of the item or history of the item.

Like the G & G example, some items are not as expensive as the sellers make it.
Prada ties are different from Prada ties using Holland and whatsisname prints. But the other interested buyers would not know.

If I see a Lobb St Crepin red museum croc number selling at 1.775 grand, whether I would buy it depends on whether I can afford 1.775 grand.
But personally, even if I can afford 1.775 grand, I would not pay it, if I know the seller is flipping it after gettting it from ebay for 500.
And no, I am not against capitalism.

2. I agree with PMing the seller. But I would not bargain/have heated negotiations with him if he says no.
After all as a seller, he can sell it for whatever price he wants. Like you say, I will just walk away.
But I would still like to know some history of the item.
Like dude, you bought the Vash from davesmith for 300 and now want to sell it for 600 because it can't fit?
post #103 of 549
"Are you better off than you were last week? Is it easier for you to go and buy things in the B&S than it was last week?"

-Ronald Reagan


http://youtu.be/loBe0WXtts8
post #104 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Spoo, by urgency, do you mean that there's fragmented viewing because of the categories?

In other worrds, less "don't delay, act now" sentiment, and more "I'm-sure-that-pair-of-shoes-will-be-there-tomorrow-because-the-schmoes-will-be-looking-at-the-suit-threads?"

Nope, not quite. I view every single post in MC B&S. I dont filter by category, I use timestamps to figure out where I left off. If I last viewed at 7:30, Ill scroll down from the time I open the page back down to 7:30. Basically, because I dont need anything and want everything. I doubt I personally will ever use the filter to find by size. Someone not quite as OCD as I am will need to.

I just think the open page is too transparent in some aspects, and has a void in others. I want the reply counter. I dont want the text, picture, and price previews. The urgency for me was created because it was like a little treasure hunt. You had to sniff out a good deal, and win it (by PMing/paying first). Now, there is no challenge. I personally have bought and sold enough here to be pretty sure thats what drove sales. Got me to spend, and got me a LOT of sales.

Basically, there is no foreplay, and its just being shoved in.
post #105 of 549
I think the lack of activity on B&S has less to do with the new format and a lot more to do with the fact that 1) people are asking higher prices on SF B&S and 2) that most retailers for the last year have cut back on inventory so that there is far less to close out or liquidate. I deal with manufacturers around the world in categories ranging from fashion to home decor to publishing. They tell me that all retailers have cut inventory and all manufacturers have cut production. The reality is that there just aren't as many things available at close-out prices. This isn't 2009.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: New Forum Support
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › General › New Forum Support  › New changes to B&S forum