or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › New Forum Support  › New changes to B&S forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New changes to B&S forum - Page 31  

post #451 of 549

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post

I miss price drops being the main way to bump a thread. True, replies bumped it as well, but I keep seeing items I like bumped at too high a price. I wish I could filter results so that items only showed up bumped if it came with a price drop.

 

due to the fact that a price drop won't bump the item i think its smart to list items at a sellable price in the first place. also if items have the "or best offer" option why not sent the guy a PM. i for one am always open to offers and i love the fight[1].gifpart of it

post #452 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post

I miss price drops being the main way to bump a thread. True, replies bumped it as well, but I keep seeing items I like bumped at too high a price. I wish I could filter results so that items only showed up bumped if it came with a price drop.

If you see something you like, why don't you just PM them an offer? If it's a fair reasonable offer I'd bet the majority of the time the seller would take it.

 

post #453 of 549
Valid points. But in my head I think "If they are not willing to give a price drop to bump the thread, they must be pretty firm on price."

Maybe it's an old B/S mentality.
post #454 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

We will be decreasing the size of the preview pictures and the amount of preview text, but we are going to be keeping the pictures and previews.

The reviews are here to stay. It would be great if you guys were to make it as useful as possible, especially for new users. It would really decrease the amount of clutter in the forums, which would help decrease the noise in the main forums. We would love to have you manually add and review products from ShoptheFinest, Ehaberdasher, VirtualClothesHorse, and others.

Actually, we will hold a contest. First to 30 reviews gets a $150 gift certificate, second gets $100, third gets $50. The prizes are also tradeable for custom titles (to be voted on by your peers, of course). You guys are in competition with SW&D, which has really taken hold of this idea and seen its potential, so you might want to start moving.

You guys need to remember that forums were never meant to facilitate and type of commerce, and that it is rather outdated technology which which people are becoming less and less familiar. The new formats and new functions on the site are designed to part to make the site less inaccessible to people are more comfortable with other types of social network technologies. I started on internet boards in... 1995 or so, and use-net was a huge deal. It's not really relevant anymore. Remember with Pine was the most awesome software for email? The point is that you have to adapt. It's not good enough to do one thing really well. We don't want to go the way of the Polaroid company.

As for an adless site for logged-in users, we are actively working on an option that will not have he issues that Adblock+ produces (it can actually slow down the site.) I will say no more about this, except that we are much more interested in keeping the community vibrant than we are in banner ads (which, honestly, are becoming a little outdated themselves).

I will go do some reviews now. I don't think I can get 30 done, but I will give it a try.
post #455 of 549
Went to go review a half dozen items, but I keep getting boxes saying something like "fill in red star boxes". They are all full. Very frustrating.
post #456 of 549
Im curious to see if the winner keeps the gift certificate, or trades it for the title.
post #457 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Im curious to see if the winner keeps the gift certificate, or trades it for the title.

Big Timer v. Small Timer dichotomy?
post #458 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post


which list am I on?

You are on the "Let's Do Some More Business" list.
post #459 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveandepot1 View Post

Went to go review a half dozen items, but I keep getting boxes saying something like "fill in red star boxes". They are all full. Very frustrating.

Could you send me a screenshot. I'm not sure what you are seeing, and how to help you.
post #460 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post

Valid points. But in my head I think "If they are not willing to give a price drop to bump the thread, they must be pretty firm on price."

Maybe it's an old B/S mentality.

It's actually a new old B&S mentality. We made up the price drop to bump rule in about 5 minutes, and people hated it. A lot. For a long time. That rule has been in effect for less that 2 years. No such rule existed for the 8 years prior.
post #461 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post


In that case I tell the second guy that someone has committed but not yet paid and that I will get back to him within a day. Then I usually mark the item sold. Rarely does the first guy disappear, but it happens. If I haven't heard from him in 24 hours, tough shit for him. If he PM's and says he couldn't put the money together or some other sad story then I don't get too excited about it. Shit happens.

For those guys who disappear, as well as other categories of PITA people, I have a short "probationary list" and a shorter "No Soup For You" list. I would say that about 99 out of 100 SF deals are pretty smooth. As an interesting aside, the percentage of jerkoff buyers on SF is actually much lower than on another site. I expected the opposite because I perceive SF members as being younger. Maybe there is hope for the future after all.

That's a good procedure. I've run into several lately who are definitely going on the 'prob. list' and a couple may hit the 'no soup..'.
post #462 of 549

steve smith is a legend. eBay sucks. i'll take SF any day of the week.

post #463 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post


You are on the "Let's Do Some More Business" list.

Glad to hear.

Surprised I didn't end up on the "Asks too many questions and quite detailed oriented" list - although I am sure most SF'ers are like this
post #464 of 549
So, hope that you guys are excited about the new changes that should (fingers crossed, shit is in QA right now) be released Thursday. I just got off the phone with the CTO, and it turns out that they are working not just on condensing the B&S thread view page for us, but that there will also be a "super-condensed" view toggle, which will make the B&S classifieds look a lot like threads. This takes a bit more programming, obviously, but it should be ready 2 releases from this next one (code releases happen every 2 weeks,) so, end of August/beginning of September. All you luddites should love it.

I'll tell you, Ebay doesn't respond like this, though I like to think that Yoox does. I asked for the marked size to be listed in addition to the translated size, and Yoox did it! All because of me.
post #465 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

So, hope that you guys are excited about the new changes that should (fingers crossed, shit is in QA right now) be released Thursday. I just got off the phone with the CTO, and it turns out that they are working not just on condensing the B&S thread view page for us, but that there will also be a "super-condensed" view toggle, which will make the B&S classifieds look a lot like threads. This takes a bit more programming, obviously, but it should be ready 2 releases from this next one (code releases happen every 2 weeks,) so, end of August/beginning of September. All you luddites should love it.

I'll tell you, Ebay doesn't respond like this, though I like to think that Yoox does. I asked for the marked size to be listed in addition to the translated size, and Yoox did it! All because of me.

thumbs-up.gif can't wait!! Haven't gone though any FS listing in the B&S since the update. The "super-condensed" view sounds great, will it get rid of the preview picture?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: New Forum Support
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › General › New Forum Support  › New changes to B&S forum