or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Naples/Napoli Recommendations.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Naples/Napoli Recommendations.

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I'll preface my questions with the fact I know there's a bunch of threads on Naples and I have read a lot of them, but I'm hoping for a little more detail.

I'm going to Naples at the start of August with my brother and father and was wondering where we should stay? It doesn't have to be actually in Naples, and my dad was thinking about somewhere like Sorrento, but obviously I'd like to be nearer to Naples. We would like a nice hotel, somewhere clean that's not in too dodgy an area.

So, along with hotel recommendations, any places we should visit apart from the obvious shops (Rubinacci, Cappelli, etc)? Any hidden gems? What about restaurants? Really anything that would make my trip to Napoli more enjoyable?

Any other tips for having a safe and enjoyable trip (e.g. don't wear a watch—as they can supposedly slice them off one's wrist without one noticing.)

Cheers,
Mac.
post #2 of 9
Aren't all tailors going to be vacationing in august? Seems like a bad timing to make a trip in August.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post

I'll preface my questions with the fact I know there's a bunch of threads on Naples and I have read a lot of them, but I'm hoping for a little more detail.

Any other tips for having a safe and enjoyable trip (e.g. don't wear a watch—as they can supposedly slice them off one's wrist without one noticing.)

Cheers,
Mac.

While crime in Naples is high it hasn't reached London levels.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post

Aren't all tailors going to be vacationing in august? Seems like a bad timing to make a trip in August.

I'm not having anything made up, just pick up a few ties/PS and eat some pizza. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post


While crime in Naples is high it hasn't reached London levels.

Then it won't have reached Glasgow level, either. rotflmao.gif
post #5 of 9
Wife and I stayed in Grand Hotel Santa Lucia on Via Partenope - minutes away walking to all the shops you mentioned. Hotel and location comes highly recommended. As far as shopping goes, prior Napoli threads have all the information you may need. I'd suggest to start walking on Via Chiaia and see what gems you may discover. Cannot give you many food recommendations - Naples was one of the last stops on a long Italy trip and by the time we got there we were tired of Italian food. Definitely go to DiMatteo and order both margherita pizza and pizza fritta. As far as crime goes, at no time did we feel uncomfortable. Common sense in Napoli is the key.
post #6 of 9
I once stayed two weeks on Ischia in August and visited Napoli several times. It was like a scene from western. Almost everything closed, no people in the streets. Definetely not the best time neither for shopping, nor for travelling. It is too hot at that time if the year. On Ischia and Capri there will be also lots of tourist, both Italians and foreigners.
post #7 of 9
We've always stayed at the Excelsior. Always a good experience.
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by banis View Post

I once stayed two weeks on Ischia in August and visited Napoli several times. It was like a scene from western. Almost everything closed, no people in the streets. Definetely not the best time neither for shopping, nor for travelling. It is too hot at that time if the year. On Ischia and Capri there will be also lots of tourist, both Italians and foreigners.

Thank God I started this thread. Can you imagine how disappointed I would have been if I had gone and nothing was open? I shall delay my trip until September then, most likely. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishon View Post

Wife and I stayed in Grand Hotel Santa Lucia on Via Partenope - minutes away walking to all the shops you mentioned. Hotel and location comes highly recommended. As far as shopping goes, prior Napoli threads have all the information you may need. I'd suggest to start walking on Via Chiaia and see what gems you may discover. Cannot give you many food recommendations - Naples was one of the last stops on a long Italy trip and by the time we got there we were tired of Italian food. Definitely go to DiMatteo and order both margherita pizza and pizza fritta. As far as crime goes, at no time did we feel uncomfortable. Common sense in Napoli is the key.

Great information, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

We've always stayed at the Excelsior. Always a good experience.

Thanks. Did you receive the PM I sent a few days ago regarding your old blog (as I heard it had some great posts regarding Naples)?
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

We've always stayed at the Excelsior. Always a good experience.

+1. An excellent, well-situated hotel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Naples/Napoli Recommendations.