Black of course
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 9/11/14 at 11:44am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- FS: The great shell cordovan purge - part II Last post on 6/29/11 at 12:16am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Charcoal Suit - Color of Shoes? - Page 4
Poll Results: What is your choice for color of shoes when wearing a charcoal suit?
211 Total Votespost #46 of 578/28/12 at 2:08pm
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 578/29/12 at 1:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Achilles_Quote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
Default - and IMO the most attractive - option is black
Occasionally, I'll wear a dark burgundy though, if the precise shade of charcoal and the other items in the outfit works with them. On much rarer occasions, very dark brown if the same conditions apply. I have no particular aesthetic objection to other very dark shades like an olive black or a midnight navy with them, but don't own shoes in those shades. I'm not at all fond of the southern continental approach of sometimes using tan or similarly light shoes for contrast with charcoal suits. Perhaps some of that distaste is that I'm quite short; such contrast shortens me further. However I haven't seen it being done really well even on taller people.
I'm curious, is this the general consensus of most people in the U.K.? (that black goes best with charcoal)
I try not to speak for the entire country. But if it isn't, it should be.
(and actually, it probably is)post #48 of 578/29/12 at 3:56pmpost #49 of 578/29/12 at 5:49pmQuote:
I agree burgundy goes great with charcoal. I love brown shoes, but primarily with blue or gray suits.post #50 of 578/29/12 at 5:51pmpost #51 of 578/29/12 at 10:13pm
Both are actually good options. Black as the default 'standard' option, with brown something to make it a bit more 'interesting'. I've tried both and, depending on the shirt and tie that I'm wearing, one is more suitable than the other. For black, I prefer clean captoes (although I have punch caps and brogues as well). And, for brown, I like the dark oak antique of EG, or the black brown of St. Crispin.post #52 of 578/29/12 at 11:17pmpost #53 of 578/30/12 at 3:46ampost #54 of 578/30/12 at 3:48ampost #55 of 578/30/12 at 9:36ampost #56 of 579/1/12 at 6:22pm
- Charcoal Suit - Color of Shoes?
Styles mentioned in this thread:
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Australian Members 3 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 8 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 19 minutes ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 22 minutes ago
- › Question about suit style and color! 28 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 34 minutes ago
- › Cleaning Horse Hair Brushes in Dishwasher 35 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 37 minutes ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 40 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)