Black of course
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 8/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 3/22/15 at 3:31pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- FS: The great shell cordovan purge - part II Last post on 6/29/11 at 12:16am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Charcoal Suit - Color of Shoes? - Page 4
Poll Results: What is your choice for color of shoes when wearing a charcoal suit?
213 Total Votespost #46 of 578/28/12 at 2:08pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #47 of 578/29/12 at 1:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Achilles_Quote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
Default - and IMO the most attractive - option is black
Occasionally, I'll wear a dark burgundy though, if the precise shade of charcoal and the other items in the outfit works with them. On much rarer occasions, very dark brown if the same conditions apply. I have no particular aesthetic objection to other very dark shades like an olive black or a midnight navy with them, but don't own shoes in those shades. I'm not at all fond of the southern continental approach of sometimes using tan or similarly light shoes for contrast with charcoal suits. Perhaps some of that distaste is that I'm quite short; such contrast shortens me further. However I haven't seen it being done really well even on taller people.
I'm curious, is this the general consensus of most people in the U.K.? (that black goes best with charcoal)
I try not to speak for the entire country. But if it isn't, it should be.
(and actually, it probably is)post #48 of 578/29/12 at 3:56pmpost #49 of 578/29/12 at 5:49pmQuote:
I agree burgundy goes great with charcoal. I love brown shoes, but primarily with blue or gray suits.post #50 of 578/29/12 at 5:51pmpost #51 of 578/29/12 at 10:13pm
Both are actually good options. Black as the default 'standard' option, with brown something to make it a bit more 'interesting'. I've tried both and, depending on the shirt and tie that I'm wearing, one is more suitable than the other. For black, I prefer clean captoes (although I have punch caps and brogues as well). And, for brown, I like the dark oak antique of EG, or the black brown of St. Crispin.post #52 of 578/29/12 at 11:17pmpost #53 of 578/30/12 at 3:46ampost #54 of 578/30/12 at 3:48ampost #55 of 578/30/12 at 9:36ampost #56 of 579/1/12 at 6:22pm
- Charcoal Suit - Color of Shoes?
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 -... 4 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 5 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 8 minutes ago
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 9 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...