or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Dieting - How do you fight hunger?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dieting - How do you fight hunger? - Page 2

post #16 of 31
Eat enough fats and proteins. Man the fuck up. Look at your fat, repulsive body in the mirror. Marvel over how repugnant your corpulence must be to the opposite sex. Cry. Feast on the pain.
post #17 of 31
I had pretty bad hunger pangs when I started intermittent fasting, but now not eating for 16 periods of time is a breeze. Black coffee is your friend. Embrace him.
post #18 of 31

Well it is not easy to fight with hunger and for me it is not easy to bear this because i cannot bear hunger and just do it at the right time.

 

http://www.nolimitbootcamp.com


Edited by Mikie - 7/15/11 at 10:56pm
post #19 of 31
man the f up and imagine the results.
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post

Well it is not easy to fight with hunger and for me it is not easy to bear this because i cannot bear hunger and just do it at the right time.

I repeat, you won't get hunger pangs if you eat non processed food.
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13View Post
Eating vegetables which are complex carbs make digestion take longer and help curb hunger pangs.
You are essentially describing what is known as the "Fiber Hypothesis", made popular by Dr. Dennis Burkett in the late 70s, and it has been disproven. It isn't about the volume or digestibility of the food you consume, but rather the quality of the nutrients. You can eat a large bowl of broccoli, and it might fill your stomach to capacity, but your body, and your cells, will still be without proper nourishment. In essence, you are starving yourself by way of stretching your stomach. They've done studies that show rats which eat chow mixed in with a clay mixture will keep consuming the clay until they've reached their bodies naturally determined caloric necessity. Some rats ruptured their stomachs in the process. They will keep eating because their bodies aren't "full", even if their stomachs are. "Hunger pangs" are curbed when you are actually no longer hungry. Try as you might, you can't trick the human body. OP, eat more fat and protein. Disregard calories. Limit carbohydrate intake. That will keep you satiated, and you might just lose some weight as well.


I have no idea what you're talking about.

Complex carbs take longer to digest than simple carbs like sugar, flour, etc.

Complex carbs are much slower burning than simple carbs and should make up a large part of one's diet for many reasons.


Link to article
Quote:
Foods to Keep You Full
Overview

Foods that keep you feeling full longer can help reduce the amount of calories you consume each day. Most foods that sate your appetite are low in energy density, high in volume and low in calories, which means you can eat more and feel full longer. Complex carbohydrates, fresh fruits and vegetables and lean protein are healthy options that help you feel full until your next meal.
Complex Carbohydrates

Complex carbohydrates, such as whole wheat pasta and bread, are packed with fiber and help you feel full longer. Fiber-rich complex carbohydrates take longer to digest than simple carbohydrates found in white bread, pasta and sugary foods. The fiber and slow digestion process keeps you satisfied between meals.
Protein

High-protein foods from animal and plant sources help you stay satisfied between meals. Choose lean protein foods such as legumes, egg whites, fish, dairy products and skinless chicken. Legumes are high in fiber and digested at a slower rate, leaving you full for longer periods. Lentils, chickpeas, pinto beans and black beans can be added to salads, soups and casseroles for additional protein.
Fruits

Fresh fruits have a high water and fiber content that help you feel full for longer periods. Water-dense produce, such as apples and melons, are low-calorie and hydrate you as well. Staying hydrated helps you feel full longer, since feeling hungry is often a sign of dehydration. The high fiber content in fruits also slows digestion, helping you stay full. Reach for a pear or add fruit to a salad for a low-calorie, high-volume option.
Vegetables

Vegetables are a low-calorie, high-volume food that also have a high fiber and water content. Foods with a high-water content are also low in energy density. Low-energy-density foods give you more food for less calories. According to Mayo Clinic.com, raw carrots are approximately 88 percent water and contain only 50 calories per cup. High volume, low-energy-density vegetables include greens, broccoli, asparagus and green beans. Add vegetables to pasta, baked potatoes, stir fry and sandwiches for a meal that will keep you satiated.
References

"Women's Health;" Eat These Healthy Foods for Maximum Satiety; Julie Meyers; December 2009
MayoClinic.com; Energy Density and Weight Loss: Feel Full on Fewer Calories; January 2011
CDC: Eat More, Weight Less?


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/441656-foods-to-keep-you-full/#ixzz1S3rzclGy

Edited by Tck13 - 7/14/11 at 12:19am
post #22 of 31
You should never be starving. That's bad for your metabolism. If you're really, really hungry, it means you should eat something modest. At most, you should be "not satisfied".
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post

Eat enough fats and proteins. Man the fuck up. Look at your fat, repulsive body in the mirror. Marvel over how repugnant your corpulence must be to the opposite sex. Cry. Feast on the pain.

OP: If this doesn't do it for you then maybe you should just quit lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 View Post

I had pretty bad hunger pangs when I started intermittent fasting, but now not eating for 16 periods of time is a breeze. Black coffee is your friend. Embrace him.

Please explain the role of black coffee when fasting. Does it have to be straight or is adding creamer and sugar cheating? Also what's the point of fasting? I've heard of people feeling happier, and clear minded after a few days of this thing.
post #24 of 31
From my own experience - +50 pounds loss in 6 1/2 months - the worst period is the first week (10 days), then you become less hungry, but my tolerance to skip meals is gone.
South beach diet is good for the first 2 weeks (first phase), the you can go Montignac or what ever low carb diet you want. Keep you minerals in check, you can have potassium losses quite easly (buy some multi mineral supplements and do not forget about them in the morning). Main cause is the elimination of excess water, so you have to keep yourself hydrated - for me it was the case that my thirst level decreased significantly, so I had to put my Iphone as an "water alarm".
Cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini will be your new best friends - a home made, low fat marinara will complement them very well - in fact mediterranean cooking can be easily adapted to low carb diet, there is a book by Diane Kokhilas about that. Soups are filling - a good bowl of minestrone -without pasta- will take your edge before any meal, gazpacho also (omit the bread in the recipe), tajines without potatoes, etc. Then your metabolism will settle.
my 2 euro cents
post #25 of 31
Useful information.
post #26 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower;4672473 
....................... fruits, vegetables, meat, some dairy, some eggs. Soup is also good. Get some Sriracha Sauce and some non sugar Marinara Sauce. .......................

Read "Fit for Life" by Harvey Diamond.........


Cheers, I'll look those up. But based on what I've googled, Harvey Diamond seems a controversial fella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange;4672544 
drink more water. you're probably dehydrated and your body might confusing thirst with hunger (I forgot where I read this...Men's Health?). eat in smaller portions. you don't have to sacrifice your favorite foods to lose weight but, be careful and do not use this advice to eat cake every night or some other sugar laden treat.

teacha.gif



+1 especially the Sriracha Sauce. that stuff is amazing


Water and portions, ok. Plus, Sriracha Sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Webb;4672595 
Three things which work for me. Number one is drink a LOT of water. If you're hungry, drink water. It'll give you a feeling of fullness for a bit which tricks you into not being hungry (and also deals with mr.orange's point about confusing thirst for hunger). Number two is to distract yourself. Do a crossword or read a book or watch something on TV (just make sure it's something that will engross you). The third and the one I found most useful was to learn to embrace it. If you feel hungry, it means your diet is working. At least, that's what I told myself and it seems to work for me. I'm down about 57 lbs this year so far. Got a ways to go but am definitely moving in the right direction.

I have tried the distraction trick but it does not work for me. But obviously it's working for you - 57 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89826;4672682 
Here is something interesting: when your blood sugar is low, your executive functioning is impaired. In other other words, when you are hungry you make poor decisions, including about food. So eat a piece of fruit or something before you decide what to have for dinner.

This something I need to try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5;4672887 
I had pretty bad hunger pangs when I started intermittent fasting, but now not eating for 16 periods of time is a breeze. Black coffee is your friend. Embrace him.

I dunno, I'd be careful about using coffee as much as you seem to. But I have a question - how much time did it take for your body to get adjusted to the lower quantities of food? In short, I want to know when your hunger pangs began to ease off a little after you started dieting- 2 days, 3 days, a week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post

Eat enough fats and proteins. Man the fuck up. Look at your fat, repulsive body in the mirror. Marvel over how repugnant your corpulence must be to the opposite sex. Cry. Feast on the pain.

lol8[1].gif

This is great advice though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolhistorian View Post

From my own experience - +50 pounds loss in 6 1/2 months - the worst period is the first week (10 days), then you become less hungry, but my tolerance to skip meals is gone.
South beach diet is good for the first 2 weeks (first phase), the you can go Montignac or what ever low carb diet you want. Keep you minerals in check, you can have potassium losses quite easly (buy some multi mineral supplements and do not forget about them in the morning). Main cause is the elimination of excess water, so you have to keep yourself hydrated - for me it was the case that my thirst level decreased significantly, so I had to put my Iphone as an "water alarm".
Cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini will be your new best friends - a home made, low fat marinara will complement them very well - in fact mediterranean cooking can be easily adapted to low carb diet, there is a book by Diane Kokhilas about that. Soups are filling - a good bowl of minestrone -without pasta- will take your edge before any meal, gazpacho also (omit the bread in the recipe), tajines without potatoes, etc. Then your metabolism will settle.
my 2 euro cents

Thank you - this was also great advice.
post #27 of 31
Keep your mind focused on other things.

Only eat big meals and don't keep snacks or w/e around.

Don't fuck w/simple carbs too much, they suck at satiating hunger.

Drink coffee (black preferably) & plenty of water.

I'm on a diet now and when I go off the wagon it's because I don't do one of the first three things. When I get focused results start to happen almost right away. I am on intermittent fasting now and not eating breakfast helps a lot. The way I see it, the less meals I have, the more over the top & satisfying I can make the ones I do have. Yesterday I had 3 empanadas, a shell steak and a spoonful of peanut butter. Much more satisfying & just as many calories as 6 shitty little 'clean' meals.
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Keep your mind focused on other things.

Only eat big meals and don't keep snacks or w/e around.

Don't fuck w/simple carbs too much, they suck at satiating hunger.

Drink coffee (black preferably) & plenty of water.

I'm on a diet now and when I go off the wagon it's because I don't do one of the first three things. When I get focused results start to happen almost right away. I am on intermittent fasting now and not eating breakfast helps a lot. The way I see it, the less meals I have, the more over the top & satisfying I can make the ones I do have. Yesterday I had 3 empanadas, a shell steak and a spoonful of peanut butter. Much more satisfying & just as many calories as 6 shitty little 'clean' meals.

I totally get what you're saying; that you've managed to get results by eating less and eating what you want but, how are you getting your necessary vitamins and minerals?
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post


Please explain the role of black coffee when fasting. Does it have to be straight or is adding creamer and sugar cheating? Also what's the point of fasting? I've heard of people feeling happier, and clear minded after a few days of this thing.

Black coffee is a no-calorie stimulant.

For intermittent fasting (not the same thing as you think of when you hear "fasting") try this site: www.leangains.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post


how are you getting your necessary vitamins and minerals?

By ingesting them?
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Keep your mind focused on other things.

Only eat big meals and don't keep snacks or w/e around.

Don't fuck w/simple carbs too much, they suck at satiating hunger.

Drink coffee (black preferably) & plenty of water.

This is pretty legit, have had good success following essentially these guidelines as well. What I'd add though is you really can't go overboard on fresh veggies, they're full of such awesomeness and help keep you full. Meal frequency is, as stated before ad nauseam, best decided by your individual preferences - many do IF, but it's definitely not for everyone. Give it a shot by all means but in the end it's best to go with what you will be comfortable with. Also if you're keeping a lid on the really calorie-dense foodstuffs (candy, pastries and what have you) do not fret about carb intake. Especially if you're training hard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Dieting - How do you fight hunger?