or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Steve's Ice Cream in Manhattan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve's Ice Cream in Manhattan - Page 2

post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofanView Post
Being a hipster is not synonymous with being pretentious. It is rather a form of snobbery--a very particular form that identifies what's 'good' with respect to what's culturally ironic. It's not the catchall you're claiming.


I thought you meant that Steve's Ice Cream reopened. I remember Steve's from the Boston Area back in the 90's. Nevermind....

Is that hipster enough? actually did you ever have steve's in the new england area back in the 90s? can you compare?

I think they may be related, but I don't know. I'm sure a quick Google search will reveal any connnection.

Incidentally, I tried the Salted Caramel yesterday: again, effing awesome.
post #17 of 25
salted caramel is WAY too mainstream of a flavor, brah.
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


I think they may be related, but I don't know. I'm sure a quick Google search will reveal any connnection.

Incidentally, I tried the Salted Caramel yesterday: again, effing awesome.

So this is like a hipster remake of what was hipster cool? I remember eating Steve's in the early '80s in Boston when visiting my brother at college. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post


So this is like a hipster remake of what was hipster cool? I remember eating Steve's in the early '80s in Boston when visiting my brother at college. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Was the original cool or hipster cool or good-but-not-necessarily-cool?

Apparently, the new incarnation was founded by David Stein, who worked at the original in Massachusetts.

Would go back today for more, but left all my credit cards and cash at home so I'm temporarily destitute. This is why I need a breast wallet.
post #20 of 25
I think it was hipster cool, but I was like 8.

I thought you got your wallet. What happened?
post #21 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

I think it was hipster cool, but I was like 8.

I thought you got your wallet. What happened?

No, no, they agreed to do the special order. I'm still waiting for the wallet to come in. Also waiting on a very kickass evil supervillain umbrella ordered from Talarico via Mariano.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


No, no, they agreed to do the special order. I'm still waiting for the wallet to come in.

Wasn't that last year?
Are they still in the 'trying to breed a green cow' stage?
Quote:
Also waiting on a very kickass evil supervillain umbrella ordered from Talarico via Mariano.

super-villain umbrella?
I'm intrigued. I presume you will post pics once it's here?
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


Was the original cool or hipster cool or good-but-not-necessarily-cool?

Apparently, the new incarnation was founded by David Stein, who worked at the original in Massachusetts.

Would go back today for more, but left all my credit cards and cash at home so I'm temporarily destitute. This is why I need a breast wallet.

hmmmm... this raises a lot of issues.... I may boycott the new "steve's" if the original Steve (in any present genetic form) doesn't approve of the present "steves". But if the icecream is that good then there's a chance that there are a new generation of kids who associate "steve's" as good icecream perpetuating the [Steve's : Great Ice cream] corollary.

This must be viewed as generally positive from a pragmatic New Englander with great memories of Steve's.

I'll try it tomorrow.
post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post


hmmmm... this raises a lot of issues.... I may boycott the new "steve's" if the original Steve (in any present genetic form) doesn't approve of the present "steves". But if the icecream is that good then there's a chance that there are a new generation of kids who associate "steve's" as good icecream perpetuating the [Steve's : Great Ice cream] corollary.

This must be viewed as generally positive from a pragmatic New Englander with great memories of Steve's.

I'll try it tomorrow.



Well, I went yesterday and they f*cked up the freezer setting so all the ice cream was a little melty. Very disappointed. They tried to sell me wet dripping globs of ice cream. When I pointed out it was already melted, they responded: "But it will taste the same." I said, no way I'm paying $8 bucks for melted ice cream, suggested they fix their freezer, and left.
post #25 of 25
never had it but sounds very Hipster Good and not actual good
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Steve's Ice Cream in Manhattan