or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Steve's Ice Cream in Manhattan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve's Ice Cream in Manhattan

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Sooooo effing good. Was scared it would be hipster-good, which means not good at all. But it was very, very good. Strawberry Ricotta FTW.
post #2 of 25
This might be the death of me. But for the record, what is "hipster-good"?
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
This might be the death of me. But for the record, what is "hipster-good"?
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=573
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
This might be the death of me. But for the record, what is "hipster-good"?

+1

, please me
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
+1

, please me

Iammanton's explanation is pretty good. In short, something that is 'good' merely by way of being less preferred or less well-known--which is to say, that which is often bad. In fact, distinct badness is often directly celebrated as the best goodness in hipster-dom.

Take for example, Summer in 500 Days of Summer. Summer, the female lead, is the worst sort of hipster (that is to say, very hipster). Amongst the many things she says and does that make me want to reach into the screen and squeeze out the evil ironic life force inhabiting her cold husk of a body, she goes on and on about how Ringo Starr is the best Beatle. When finally forced to explain why, she says it's simply because nobody else thinks he's the best.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Iammanton's explanation is pretty good. In short, something that is 'good' merely by way of being less preferred or less well-known--which is to say, that which is often bad. In fact, distinct badness is often directly celebrated as the best goodness in hipster-dom.

Take for example, Summer in 500 Days of Summer. Summer, the female lead, is the worst sort of hipster (that is to say, very hipster). Amongst the many things she says and does that make me want to reach into the screen and squeeze out the evil ironic life force inhabiting her cold husk of a body, she goes on and on about how Ringo Starr is the best Beatle. When finally forced to explain why, she says it's simply because nobody else thinks he's the best.

So, basically, Film Noir Buff.
post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
So, basically, Film Noir Buff.

No, FNB is not a hipster. He's not trying to be ironic, which is so sad that it mildly mitigates the irritation.
post #8 of 25
How many hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?

- It's an obscure number. You've probably never heard of it.
- Who cares? The lightbulb was better before it was changed.

--Andre
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
This might be the death of me. But for the record, what is "hipster-good"?
"hipster" is an all-purpose derogatory term people use when they can't think of any specific objection to something. "hipsters" = "people I don't like, because I've assigned qualities to them that I dislike, whether they actually have those qualities or not. so, basically, people I suspect of not being just like me." "hipster-good" -a possible translation into puttingsomethoughtintowhatyousayese might be "over-hyped" (which isn't putting a whole lot of thought into it, which tells you something about people who use terms like "hipster-good"). synonyms: pretentious - as in: - "hey, I picked up a copy of For Whom the Bell Tolls at the airport & read it on the plane, it's pretty good, ya know?" - "God, you're so pretentious!"
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by howbah View Post
"hipster" is an all-purpose derogatory term people use when they can't think of any specific objection to something. "hipsters" = "people I don't like, because I've assigned qualities to them that I dislike, whether they actually have those qualities or not. so, basically, people I suspect of not being just like me."
my 'all-purpose' derogatory term is much worse than 'hipster'. Not that I wish they were interchangeable. and while I agree that I've assigned qualities to hipsters that I genuinely do not like, typically these qualities are obvious. Somebody "not just like me"? I'm totally cool with that. But I suppose in general I find bigoted people to be insufferable. And hipsters. Both for good reasons to me.
post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
Being a hipster is not synonymous with being pretentious. It is rather a form of snobbery--a very particular form that identifies what's 'good' with respect to what's culturally ironic. It's not the catchall you're claiming.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by howbah View Post
"hipster" is an all-purpose derogatory term people use when they can't think of any specific objection to something. "hipsters" = "people I don't like, because I've assigned qualities to them that I dislike, whether they actually have those qualities or not. so, basically, people I suspect of not being just like me." "hipster-good" -a possible translation into puttingsomethoughtintowhatyousayese might be "over-hyped" (which isn't putting a whole lot of thought into it, which tells you something about people who use terms like "hipster-good"). synonyms: pretentious - as in: - "hey, I picked up a copy of For Whom the Bell Tolls at the airport & read it on the plane, it's pretty good, ya know?" - "God, you're so pretentious!"
so, you are a hipster?
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Iammanton's explanation is pretty good. In short, something that is 'good' merely by way of being less preferred or less well-known--which is to say, that which is often bad. In fact, distinct badness is often directly celebrated as the best goodness in hipster-dom. Take for example, Summer in 500 Days of Summer. Summer, the female lead, is the worst sort of hipster (that is to say, very hipster). Amongst the many things she says and does that make me want to reach into the screen and squeeze out the evil ironic life force inhabiting her cold husk of a body, she goes on and on about how Ringo Starr is the best Beatle. When finally forced to explain why, she says it's simply because nobody else thinks he's the best.
Gotcha, thanks. 'Iammanton' BTW: I went into Hermes on Madison the other day, was NOT impressed.
post #14 of 25
I have been deemed a hipster when somebody tried talking to me about clothes and I told them that I don't wear designer clothes. Granted, I did flip my hair back and finish the sentence with, "Whatever, I'm like so over fashion."
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Being a hipster is not synonymous with being pretentious. It is rather a form of snobbery--a very particular form that identifies what's 'good' with respect to what's culturally ironic. It's not the catchall you're claiming.


I thought you meant that Steve's Ice Cream reopened. I remember Steve's from the Boston Area back in the 90's. Nevermind....

Is that hipster enough? actually did you ever have steve's in the new england area back in the 90s? can you compare?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Steve's Ice Cream in Manhattan