• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Atlanta, Georgia

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone been or from there? I'm getting SICK of living in Houston, and Atlanta seems appealing to me for some reason I can't determine since I've never been there and know nothing about it.

Can anyone give me the skinny on what it's like over there? Job market, culture, etc?

I hear it's a DINK heaven, which would rock. Seems like there's NOTHING to do in Houston other than get fat and raise kids, and I'm sick of this place.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
WTF does DINK mean? Anyway, ATL is awesome. Jobless rate is about 10% in the state though so come if you have a job. ATL is very much like Houston minus the port. I was reading an essay by Philip Lopate about Houston and everything, I mean EVERYTHING was like Houston. THAT SAID... we do have superior culture, food, etc and it is slightly cheaper. I guess just from how spread out **** is, the outlook of people (although this is changing dramatically) I know I'll get pilloried for this but whatever... I think it is impossible to beat Atlanta for COL to quality of life, access of everything, culture etc. And I've lived around the world and spend considerable amounts of time elsewhere.

Ole War Skule

Reaction score
TL doesn't have better food than Houston.

ATL and Houston are pretty similar....minus the refineries and access to the GoM.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Ed, I'm a paralegal and from the quick job searches I did last night, it looks like ATL and HOU are comparable as far as work opportunity goes. I didn't do much digging though.

ATL is very much like Houston minus the port. I was reading an essay by Philip Lopate about Houston and everything, I mean EVERYTHING was like Houston. THAT SAID... we do have superior culture, food, etc and it is slightly cheaper. I guess just from how spread out **** is, the outlook of people (although this is changing dramatically)

This is exactly what I'm looking for, a place like Houston but actually has a soul heh.

I know Houston probably has better restaurants, but, I prefer to do my own cooking most of the time anyway. I don't *live* to eat, as so many of my fellow Houstonians do.

Oh yes, DINK = Dual Income No Kids. I hear ATL is a great place for us types.

So far the most negative thing I can find online about Atlanta is that it has a lot of blacks. Being that I like black people, and am from Houston, I don't think that's going to really be an issue for me... especially when I already live in the most dangerous ghetto in Houston anyway, statistically speaking.

GF and I were window shopping for new cities this weekend, and I suggested Atlanta mainly because L5P looks like such a great place, and ATL seems somewhat comparable to Houston as far as economy, weather, etc. Not to mention it would be nice to see greenery without having to drive 20 miles, even if it is only kudzu vines.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ole War Skule
Given any thought to New Orleans?
Nope. I drive to and from LA for work. Do not want. Worse than TX. No offense man. So far I'm looking at Atlanta, Memphis, Charlotte, Austin (last resort, being that it's still TX, but may end up being best bet) Started looking at rent prices in ATL, got very excited it's cheap over there. Then I realized it's because they have a state income tax, we don't. So cost of living is probably exactly the same once that's taken into account.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Memphis is an interesting choice. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and get there at least 3 or 4 times a year to soak in the atmosphere, but it's not normally a city I hear mentioned when people are musing about cities to start over in. It's hella hot and humid there; much worse than Atlanta, so be prepared for that.

I lived in Atlanta for many years. It's a great place and under the right circumstances, I'd return in a heartbeat. Interestingly enough, I also lived in Houston for 2 years, and liked it also. Access to the seacoast was good, even if the water at Galveston was not exactly attractive. If I had to choose, I'd pick Atlanta for a few reasons:

1) Four seasons
2) Vibrant midtown/uptown and downtown is coming back to a certain extent
3) Great things to do locally
4) Interesting neighborhoods (Houston had Rice Village and Rice Village, enough said) to choose from
5) Good infrastructure, although far far worse traffic IMO
6) Close to lakes/mountains. North Georgia is an outdoorsy type's paradise
7) Very good shopping and getting much better. Far superior to Houston IMO
8) Close to some great places. Hell, Memphis is 6 or 7 hour drive; if you like it that much it could be an easy long weekender

Good luck.. Avoid the suburbs though (Cobb or Gwinnett counties) as your commute will be hellacious if you work downtown.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I don't have to make a decision now, or even soon, since this will be after the woman finishes up her radiology program and gets a bit of experience under her belt. But I'm anal about preparing for things FAR in advance.

But have to say, the more I read about Atlanta, the more I like.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
atlanta sucks. come to nashville. Ill buy you a beer.
laugh.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
atlanta sucks. come to nashville. Ill buy you a beer.
laugh.gif

I work in Intellectual Property, Nashville is definitely on my list too
smile.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
It does. You are an idiot.
I've noticed many of us Houstonians confuse quantity with quality. EVERYTHING here is owned by Tilman Fertitta. So either you'll love our food or hate it, because no matter what the joint is called, it's going to be the same as every other place. And if it is a nice independent hole in the wall place, I'd give Fertitta 2 years to buy it out and lamestream it.

Ole War Skule

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
It does. You are an idiot.

Ethnic cuisine here in Houston is far better than anything Atlanta can offer up.

And to the comment about Landry's owning everything, that quite a bit of an exaggeration. I hate what they did to Kemah, but they are far from an empire here in Houston. The Mandola family holds that title.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I work in Intellectual Property, Nashville is definitely on my list too
smile.gif

im tellin ya man. nashville is awesome. Great place to live. Id pick here over atlanta...even if i had to take a pay cut.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess if any family would qualify as a Houston empire, would be Weingarten. Even the richest poodle carrying platinum blonde gold crucifix wearing River Oaks bitches hate the Weingartens and refer to them as "rich assholes"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads