• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interviews in High Temp (103+): Suit, No Suit, Cotton, Wool, Tie,...? SF

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you wear to an interview during extreme heat? I have only had interviews during fall/winter/spring and just went with my solid navy wool suit/white shirt/black AE PAs/striped tie/.. combo.

Here is my situation:
Interview for Administrative Assistant
Time: 1PM
Expected Temperature: 103F

Should I wear a suit? If I wear a suit should it be cotton? If I don't wear a suit, should I do a tie/shirt/dress pants combo?

pharmaboy

Reaction score
put yourself in the interviewers shoes. If interviewer has a suit and tie on, what will he think of the interviewee who doesnt? and if he has a collared shirt, open, and no jacket what is he going to think of the interviewee?

If he has a suit on, then when you arrive, you live with it, if he doesnt, you get to ask, if its OK to take your jacket off? The question isnt one of style, its one of politeness, and giving the best impression possible on an interpersonal basis.

I've always figured the object of an interview is to dress so you couldnt possibly cause offence, or cause judgement on yourself on the basis of clothing....??

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. However, if I was the interviewer, I wouldn't expect the interviewee to be in a suit in such extreme heat.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wear a suit. If you are in LA, you are in your car, presumably with AC. Its unlike downtown Boston, Chicago, or New York where its incredibly hot and humid and are also moving around a lot on foot. Good luck!

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy solution. Keep your jacket off until you arrive. Find a discreet place to put it on. Walk in, and look like you've been wearing a suit in the heat all day and haven't broken a sweat. The job is yours!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I will wear a suit.
angry.gif

I only have 3 solid suits (All fit very well).
Which one?
1. Navy Wool
2. Cotton Khaki
3. Charcoal Wool/Cashmere

Originally Posted by NAMOR
Wear a suit. If you are in LA, you are in your car, presumably with AC. Its unlike downtown Boston, Chicago, or New York where its incredibly hot and humid and are also moving around a lot on foot. Good luck!

I am in San Bernardino/Victorville. Thanks
fistbump.gif

LanceW

Reaction score
It's a question of navy vs charcoal and I would guess your navy is cooler than the wool/cashmere charcoal. Get there early to give you time to cool off before putting on the jacket once you're inside. Pound some ice water when you get there?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Easy solution. Keep your jacket off until you arrive. Find a discreet place to put it on. Walk in, and look like you've been wearing a suit in the heat all day and haven't broken a sweat. The job is yours!

This but instead

arrive early. Carry in your jacket. Take the time to go into the bathroom and wipe the sweat off your forehead. Get a cool drink. Then put your jacket on.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. However, if I was the interviewer, I wouldn't expect the interviewee to be in a suit in such extreme heat.

That's why you are the interviewee...and NOT the interviewer!
eh.gif

Interview=suit/tie

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Assuming your interview is this week, you lucked out. Its supposed to be in the high 70s in Socal. and if you are still hot, cool off with a Jamba Juice. and bring it with you to the interview
biggrin.gif

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think you have too many options here - I think you have to go with the khaki by default. I almost passed out from heatstroke just reading the words wool/charcoal/cashmere and 103 degrees in the same sentence . . . anyone who tells you to wear that should be kind enough to provide his/her name number as an emergency contact when the paramedics arrive to rehydrate you.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me offer a slightly different take. You are interviewing for a job as an administrative assistant. In other words, you are not there to be a dynamic, take-charge kind of guy. You are there to bend to the will of your boss or bosses.

So call the interviewer and ask them how the interviewer would like you to dress. At the very least, this gives you an opportunity to demonstrate that you can follow instructions.

When interviewing you should always find out what the daily baseline is of your prospective employer and then dress one notch better than that. For example, if you are applying of an IT job someplace where everyone wears shorts and flip flops, don't show up in a three-piece suit. As you are not even meeting in an office, it isn't clear to me what normal business attire would be for this job so it probably wouldn't hurt to ask.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Let me offer a slightly different take. You are interviewing for a job as an administrative assistant. In other words, you are not there to be a dynamic, take-charge kind of guy. You are there to bend to the will of your boss or bosses.

So call the interviewer and ask them how the interviewer would like you to dress. At the very least, this gives you an opportunity to demonstrate that you can follow instructions.
When interviewing you should always find out what the daily baseline is of your prospective employer and then dress one notch better than that. For example, if you are applying of an IT job someplace where everyone wears shorts and flip flops, don't show up in a three-piece suit. As you are not even meeting in an office, it isn't clear to me what normal business attire would be for this job so it probably wouldn't hurt to ask.

If an interviewee had to CALL AND ASK how to dress for an interview, I would not hire them.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who has an interview at a starbucks?

wear a suit, regardless. Its hot...suck it up. If necessary, get there way early without your coat on, clean yourself up in the mens room (splash water on your face, etc) and then put your coat on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads