• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First of all, I'm a Met fan. Second of all, I do think Jeter is one of the best baseball players in the modern era, a real class act, and I'm proud that he's played his entire career in my city.

But the guy who caught his 3000th hit, a home run yesterday, just GAVE THE BALL BACK TO HIM! I think he's an idiot. Baseball, and ball players are not like they used to be. These guys, even guys like Jeter and Ripkin, are overpaid pampered brats who feel entitled to everything. If I were this guy, I would have held that ball for my kids college tuitions (Ok maybe a few suits at Ercole's too!) and asked the Yankees or Jeter to make me an offer on it. But this guy just GAVE it back. Wanna know what he got in return? A few shirts, some signed balls, and 4 tickets for the rest of this year to every game. Schmuck.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
don't fret, teach. I'm sure that poor basterds getting earfulls from his SO, his friends, his family, his co-workers.....

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read that on Yahoo! News yesterday. I thought it was a really nice thing to do.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude is a DICK! I would have sold that bad boy to the highest bidder! Luckily that dude is not my friend..cause i would be ragging on him. DICKHEAD!!
(Full disclaimer: Mets fan)

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stupid move, and the yanks and jeter are bigger dicks for not sending some coin that guys way, really encourages someone to ive back the ball next time
facepalm.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
First of all, I'm a Met fan. Second of all, I do think Jeter is one of the best baseball players in the modern era, a real class act, and I'm proud that he's played his entire career in my city.

But the guy who caught his 3000th hit, a home run yesterday, just GAVE THE BALL BACK TO HIM! I think he's an idiot. Baseball, and ball players are not like they used to be. These guys, even guys like Jeter and Ripkin, are overpaid pampered brats who feel entitled to everything. If I were this guy, I would have held that ball for my kids college tuitions (Ok maybe a few suits at Ercole's too!) and asked the Yankees or Jeter to make me an offer on it. But this guy just GAVE it back. Wanna know what he got in return? A few shirts, some signed balls, and 4 tickets for the rest of this year to every game. Schmuck.

Originally Posted by ter1413
Dude is a DICK! I would have sold that bad boy to the highest bidder! Luckily that dude is not my friend..cause i would be ragging on him. DICKHEAD!!
(Full disclaimer: Mets fan)

You guys are what's wrong with America. So the ball is important to Jeter, and Jeter only. It isn't important to anyone else. Everyone else just wants to make a buck off of it. Jeter is the only one who woke up earlier every morning took BP, took extra BP when he was slumping, got beaned, made adjustments at the plate, didn't take roids, faced a fastball from Randy Johnson, faced a circle change from Pedro Martinez, played hurt, got hurt while playing and basically played under the microscope of the New York media and did something that no other NYY had ever done before. This other guy is just some guy who brought a ticket and sat down and now you want him to hold this ball hostage??

Former Lightwieght champion Diego Corrales, god rest his soul, once beat up his girlfriend because she trashed his championship belts. They asked him why you would risk serious jail time over a belt that cost less than $100 to make. He said that it wasn't the belt, but all the **** you have to go through to get the belt.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He was also PAID a whole lot of $$ 'cause FANS went to the stadium to watch him play!
So if it's that important to him, he can give me $300K(min) for it!!

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was also PAID a whole lot of $$ 'cause FANS went to the stadium to watch him play!
So if it's that important to him, he can give me $300K(min) for it!!

Hmm, who do you think made out better Jeter or the Yankees?? You get a totally marketable guy who's t-shirts and Jerseys will sell for what 16 years. He isn't even done yet. I remember when people were saying Ortiz was done last year, he's on pace for a 40 HR season this year.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Hmm, who do you think made out better Jeter or the Yankees?? You get a totally marketable guy who's t-shirts and Jerseys will sell for what 16 years. He isn't even done yet. I remember when people were saying Ortiz was done last year, he's on pace for a 40 HR season this year.

what does that mean^^. what does that have to do with the schmuck who gave the ball back?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what does that mean^^. what does that have to do with the schmuck who gave the ball back?

Sorry I misread your post. Get into penny stocks or play the lottery if you want quick money. Or go to some Nats or White Sox games next year and hope for an IRod or Visquel HR for their 3000th hit.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regardless of how much money the guy makes or how big of douchebags pro athletes are, the fact that this guy performed a legitimate, unselfish act of kindness with no intentions of profiting from it gives me a little more faith in humanity.

That being said, if I caught it, I might have asked for a wee bit more than some tickets...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if the ball had gone into the open market for sale, what do you think the selling price range might have been? What would you use as a comp to justify that price?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry I misread your post. Get into penny stocks or play the lottery if you want quick money. Or go to some Nats or White Sox games next year and hope for an IRod or Visquel HR for their 3000th hit.

Everybody loves money...that's why they call it money!

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are what's wrong with America. So the ball is important to Jeter, and Jeter only. It isn't important to anyone else. Everyone else just wants to make a buck off of it. Jeter is the only one who woke up earlier every morning took BP, took extra BP when he was slumping, got beaned, made adjustments at the plate, didn't take roids, faced a fastball from Randy Johnson, faced a circle change from Pedro Martinez, played hurt, got hurt while playing and basically played under the microscope of the New York media and did something that no other NYY had ever done before. This other guy is just some guy who brought a ticket and sat down and now you want him to hold this ball hostage??

+ a million. I might not have done the same thing, but to trash the guy for doing a decent thing is laughable and really pathetic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads