or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back - Page 5

post #61 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post
your a moron, the ball wouldve went for 250k easy stop saying its not worth much, its worthwhat ppl would pay for it and that figure is 6 digits. The yanks couldve gave the kid the money and it wouldve great pr and everyone wouldve been happy, now everyone is talking how the yanks took advantage f this kid who was caught up in the moment and couldnt think straight. 250k is pocket change to jeter or the yanks

Don't be a dummy, I don't think it would have gone for quarter of a million dollars. I honestly don't think it would have gone for over 100K. Just because people say it would have doesn't fucking mean it would have. I have to keep telling you boobs that the market his cooled considerably. Didn't you read post about Bond's balls?? ( ) 755 went for a little under 200K when the market was hot. Now you expect that price in this market for a feat that was done by 20+ guys before him. Yeah you get a premium from it being Jeter and he being a Yankee, but if you think you'd get over 100K you're fooling yourself.

Just like all those people who find old baseball cards and swear they've hit pay dirt, most old card are fucking worthless believe it or not.
post #62 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post
Don't be a dummy, I don't think it would have gone for quarter of a million dollars. I honestly don't think it would have gone for over 100K. Just because people say it would have doesn't fucking mean it would have. I have to keep telling you boobs that the market his cooled considerably. Didn't you read post about Bond's balls?? ( ) 755 went for a little under 200K when the market was hot. Now you expect that price in this market for a feat that was done by 20+ guys before him. Yeah you get a premium from it being Jeter and he being a Yankee, but if you think you'd get over 100K you're fooling yourself.

Just like all those people who find old baseball cards and swear they've hit pay dirt, most old card are fucking worthless believe it or not.

Wrong. $250K easy as the starting point. What market has cooled? People would have lined up to buy that ball...
post #63 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post
+ a million. I might not have done the same thing, but to trash the guy for doing a decent thing is laughable and really pathetic.

+1
post #64 of 174
He did a good deed but could have easily walked away with plenty more. That ball might not be worth 250g for normal folk but Jeter/Yanks would easily fork out $250g.

Buddy should have held onto it and consulted a lawyer
post #65 of 174
So we've gone from NYR just saying stupid shit, to people just pulling arbitrary figures out of the air to refute a hypothetical that is based on as much evidence as we can have, yet those people are presenting their beliefs as fact with a simple schoolyard retort of "nuh-uh".

Great work guys. Seriously, you deserve this thread and all its glory.
post #66 of 174
My figures were not hypothetical. Steiner gave that amount and I was listening to WFAN earlier today and an ex Mets GM said that he SPOKE to the guy who bought Bonds ball and he quoted 400-600K that he would spend....
Listen, what the kid did, he did...He is 23, living at home with school loans and could have used the $$ to set himself up....he didn't!
I WOULD HAVE!
Slopho....you keep saying that the "market" is not there. You are wrong because of this.....there has not been an item with this "value" since the Bonds ball. I am the BIGGEST skankee hater but realize that this Jeter ball has great value to a collector...
post #67 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post
Don't be a dummy, I don't think it would have gone for quarter of a million dollars. I honestly don't think it would have gone for over 100K. Just because people say it would have doesn't fucking mean it would have. I have to keep telling you boobs that the market his cooled considerably. Didn't you read post about Bond's balls?? ( ) 755 went for a little under 200K when the market was hot. Now you expect that price in this market for a feat that was done by 20+ guys before him. Yeah you get a premium from it being Jeter and he being a Yankee, but if you think you'd get over 100K you're fooling yourself.

Just like all those people who find old baseball cards and swear they've hit pay dirt, most old card are fucking worthless believe it or not.

come on man... think about the stadium itself. those lower bowl seats used to go for $2,500 each seat/per game. Then they lowered the price to $1,800. Although the lower bowl isn't sold out every game, apparently obvious during telecasts, you can tell that the people sitting there are actually mostly season ticket holders.

yeah thats right, people have season tickets to 80+ games of $1,800 ticket/seat (not just ticket too) games. That means its still $1,800/ticket a series between the Royals, or worse: paying higher "premium ticket" prices for the RedSox or interleague Mets series.

so there are HUNDREDS (maybe even over a thousand) who have multiple $1,800 tickets for the whole season and playoffs. Thats easily into $250,000 range just for season tickets.

The kid should ask for/be given lifetime season tickets. There are some great seats that can still be had at that stadium in the $70-100 range. Its telling though that they gave him lower bowl seats - its because there are PLENTY of those "legend Suite" tickets available.
post #68 of 174
The guy would be public enemy no. 1 in Yankeeland had he kept the ball and sought to make a profit from it.

The Daily News, Post and every TV station would have reporters camped out in front of his house documenting his every move and splattering it across the front during the slow summer news season.

Not worth the aggravation.

On a side note, Jeter is a dick. That is all.
post #69 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post
My figures were not hypothetical. Steiner gave that amount and I was listening to WFAN earlier today and an ex Mets GM said that he SPOKE to the guy who bought Bonds ball and he quoted 400-600K that he would spend....
Listen, what the kid did, he did...He is 23, living at home with school loans and could have used the $$ to set himself up....he didn't!
I WOULD HAVE!
Slopho....you keep saying that the "market" is not there. You are wrong because of this.....there has not been an item with this "value" since the Bonds ball. I am the BIGGEST skankee hater but realize that this Jeter ball has great value to a collector...

so in a hypothetical situation, a guy on talk radio (known for its measured, well reasoned discussion) says he would have paid more for a non-historic ball than a historic ball, which does ignore the fact that yes, the collector's market is down universally. As in, it doesn't matter what collectibles you are selling now you are getting less than you would have five years ago.

Again, great work fellas.
post #70 of 174
jeter will be selling a ton of steiner sports collectibles to remind others of his passion for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post
You guys are what's wrong with America. So the ball is important to Jeter, and Jeter only. It isn't important to anyone else. Everyone else just wants to make a buck off of it. Jeter is the only one who woke up earlier every morning took BP, took extra BP when he was slumping, got beaned, made adjustments at the plate, didn't take roids, faced a fastball from Randy Johnson, faced a circle change from Pedro Martinez, played hurt, got hurt while playing and basically played under the microscope of the New York media and did something that no other NYY had ever done before. This other guy is just some guy who brought a ticket and sat down and now you want him to hold this ball hostage??

Former Lightwieght champion Diego Corrales, god rest his soul, once beat up his girlfriend because she trashed his championship belts. They asked him why you would risk serious jail time over a belt that cost less than $100 to make. He said that it wasn't the belt, but all the shit you have to go through to get the belt.
post #71 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk07 View Post
jeter will be selling a ton of steiner sports collectibles to remind others of his passion for the game.

EXACTLY!!!
post #72 of 174
Anyone saying dramatically above 100K is all wishful thinking. You could get a Babe Ruth signed ball for $8,000.
post #73 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post
Anyone saying dramatically above 100K is all wishful thinking. You could get a Babe Ruth signed ball for $8,000.

a ball that mean's nada. it's just his autograph. this is a 3000/HR/Skankee/jeter ball..
post #74 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post
a ball that mean's nada. it's just his autograph. this is a 3000/HR/Skankee/jeter ball..

Okay, 3000th hit, $10,000 + HR for 3000th hit $10,000 (being generous here) + First New York Yankee to have all 3000 hits in a Yankee Uniform $50,000 + Jeter being Jeter $35,000 - Sports Memorbilia market being down $15,000 = $90,000
post #75 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
These guys, even guys like Jeter and Ripkin, are overpaid pampered brats who feel entitled to everything.

I can't say I agree with you. If ever there were two guys worthy of emulation by the young fans of the game, it's Jeter and Ripkin. If I had to go back in time and not be utterly infatuated with the play of Ken Griffey Jr., knowing what I do now about how important character is in an athlete, I'd likely have become a shortstop.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back