or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back - Page 10

post #136 of 174
Seriously wtf? It's like saying going to disneyworld costs 5k because you have to spend 1k a night staying in a resort
post #137 of 174
looks like he will get hit with taxes for those luxury suite tix from the yankees
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/12/ny...-hit.html?_r=1

sucks to suck
post #138 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
It's a thread about how somebody was a schmuck because he decided to do something nice rather than to milk it for whatever money he could, how it costs $500 dollars to go to a baseball game when it really doesn't, and about how he deserves to see baseball and get a jersey and get a foot long hot dog because this is America. The sick congregation of get what you can or you are an asshole, woe is me and I am entitled is just a bit too much to bear.

I don't like how much sports cost either, but it is simply a function of supply and demand, except you can still sit in the bleachers and bring a sandwich and have fun with your kids, just like your parents used to do, but that isn't what NYR wants. He wants club level, foot massage and the rest of the works. Give me a break, really.

So, in conclusion, I agree with your sentiment, but his is not yours.

How can you say its supply and demand when the stadiums are half empty? And you can sit in the bleachers for $25, I'll give you that, but they'll take the sandwich you USED to be able to bring in, and toss it.

Re: the guy being a schmuck, in its most innocuous use, a schmuck is a person who does a stupid thing. It has nothing to do with whether or not he's a good guy. He had a chance to cash in on being in the right place at the right time. He didn't, and now he's on the line for a shit load of money because he didn't do what I would have done. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Anyone who doesn't generally agree with your mindset is always a horrible human right? You must be a barrel of laughs to hang around. I can see why your around here so much of your time. Its also easy to say what you say when you are able to get what you want most of the time too, but its clear that fact is not lost on you or the people who read this.
post #139 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
How can you say its supply and demand when the stadiums are half empty? And you can sit in the bleachers for $25, I'll give you that, but they'll take the sandwich you USED to be able to bring in, and toss it.

Re: the guy being a schmuck, in its most innocuous use, a schmuck is a person who does a stupid thing. It has nothing to do with whether or not he's a good guy. He had a chance to cash in on being in the right place at the right time. He didn't, and now he's on the line for a shit load of money because he didn't do what I would have done. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Anyone who doesn't generally agree with your mindset is always a horrible human right? You must be a barrel of laughs to hang around. I can see why your around here so much of your time. Its also easy to say what you say when you are able to get what you want most of the time too, but its clear that fact is not lost on you or the people who read this.
Man this is one incoherent fucking post.
post #140 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
Its also easy to say what you say when you are able to get what you want most of the time too, but its clear that fact is not lost on you or the people who read this.

huh?
post #141 of 174
I'm not going to criticize the kid for giving it back, but I do think it's pretty lame of Jeter and the Yanks to not throw $100K his way.

These guys do make ludicrous amounts of coin off the fans, particularly in NYC, where Yanks tickets have priced normal families out of the market. The players are willing to hold out in contract negotiations, even go on strike, for their coin - and it frankly, to me, alters the fundamental contract between the fans and the players. Once upon a time I had a very different opinion, but the players do so much to get theirs, I have no problem with a fan trying to get their own.

Instead, what does this family get besides a not particularly fungible gift and a big fucking (cash) tax liability?
post #142 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
I'm a biggot because I find it funny that a material number of MLB players are not American given what you said? :laugh. Seriously, I read Ed's criticism of you in DT and thought he might be going a bit overboard, so I thought I'd read this thread. Your accusation against me shows he was probably being too easy on you. Not only do you lack any sense of humour, you are apparently unable to think and toss out powderkeg labels at the drop of a hat. And yet...you think you have the moral authority to call this stand up Joe that returned the ball a schmuck? The level of your idiocy apparently knows no bounds.

Nice work, teach.

Btw, I'm a furriner myself. Are you a biggot for calling a furriner a bigot?

I read your comment re: the foreigners in the Major Leagues as bigoted. I can see now that you mustn't have been brought up here if you don't think that baseball is something quintessentially American. There aren't many things more American than baseball. So, no, its not because I say so. Its because it is. And there are a lot of bigoted Americans who do believe that the game is now "less American" because of it.

Nice work, *sorry don't know what you do for a living...
post #143 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I'm not going to criticize the kid for giving it back, but I do think it's pretty lame of Jeter and the Yanks to not throw $100K his way.

These guys do make ludicrous amounts of coin off the fans, particularly in NYC, where Yanks tickets have priced normal families out of the market. The players are willing to hold out in contract negotiations, even go on strike, for their coin - and it frankly, to me, alters the fundamental contract between the fans and the players. Once upon a time I had a very different opinion, but the players do so much to get theirs, I have no problem with a fan trying to get their own.

Instead, what does this family get besides a not particularly fungible gift and a big fucking (cash) tax liability?

So Douglas, Ripken hits his 3000th hit ball out of Camden. You're gonna try and make some coin off of it??
post #144 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post
So Douglas, Ripken hits his 3000th hit ball out of Camden. You're gonna try and make some coin off of it??

You bet.

"Mr. Ripken, congratulations on your notable achievement. You are universally regarded as one of the good guys in sports and you are a pillar of the local community. You are a local hero and someone I respect and admire very much.

"I understand that you are interested in acquiring a baseball that is in my fully legal and recognized possession. I recognize that your fame, fortune, and no shortage of hard work have helped give this ball its value. I also recognize that, whether I attended your games or not, I have indirectly contributed to your salary by supporting the various state and local governments that sponsored the construction of your home stadium through my tax dollars, and the sham of a lease that your employer holds with my state. You, sir, as good a man as you are, have been part of a machine that coerces me to pay you in a way that I have never similarly asked of you.

"Still, I believe you should have this ball. That is why I am willing to give it to you for the sum of $Z thousand dollars, which represents a 50% discount to the market value of this ball, as supported by this written offer of $Zx2 thousand dollars as submitted by noted sports memorabilia collector Tood McFarlane.

Yours respectfully,

-Douglas"
post #145 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
You bet.

"Mr. Ripken, congratulations on your notable achievement. You are universally regarded as one of the good guys in sports and you are a pillar of the local community. You are a local hero and someone I respect and admire very much.

"I understand that you are interested in acquiring a baseball that is in my fully legal and recognized possession. I recognize that your fame, fortune, and no shortage of hard work have helped give this ball its value. I also recognize that, whether I attended your games or not, I have indirectly contributed to your salary by supporting the various state and local governments that sponsored the construction of your home stadium through my tax dollars, and the sham of a lease that your employer holds with my state. You, sir, as good a man as you are, have been part of a machine that coerces me to pay you in a way that I have never similarly asked of you.

"Still, I believe you should have this ball. That is why I am willing to give it to you for the sum of $Z thousand dollars, which represents a 50% discount to the market value of this ball, as supported by this written offer of $Zx2 thousand dollars as submitted by noted sports memorabilia collector Tood McFarlane.

Yours respectfully,

-Douglas"

post #146 of 174
New York ranger you are a fucking teacher and are getting your an you're wrong come the fuck on
post #147 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
New York ranger you are a fucking teacher and are getting your an you're wrong come the fuck on

what the fukk???
post #148 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
You bet.

"Mr. Ripken, congratulations on your notable achievement. You are universally regarded as one of the good guys in sports and you are a pillar of the local community. You are a local hero and someone I respect and admire very much.

"I understand that you are interested in acquiring a baseball that is in my fully legal and recognized possession. I recognize that your fame, fortune, and no shortage of hard work have helped give this ball its value. I also recognize that, whether I attended your games or not, I have indirectly contributed to your salary by supporting the various state and local governments that sponsored the construction of your home stadium through my tax dollars, and the sham of a lease that your employer holds with my state. You, sir, as good a man as you are, have been part of a machine that coerces me to pay you in a way that I have never similarly asked of you.

"Still, I believe you should have this ball. That is why I am willing to give it to you for the sum of $Z thousand dollars, which represents a 50% discount to the market value of this ball, as supported by this written offer of $Zx2 thousand dollars as submitted by noted sports memorabilia collector Tood McFarlane.

Yours respectfully,

-Douglas"

If this were actually sent to Cal Douglas would quickly become Baltimore Steve Bartman. On another note, my brother took me down to Charleston's not too long ago, that place kicks ass.
post #149 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopho View Post
If this were actually sent to Cal Douglas would quickly become Baltimore Steve Bartman. On another note, my brother took me down to Charleston's not too long ago, that place kicks ass.
Nope, because for anyone in Baltimore to become another Steve Bartman, the Orioles would have to be in the playoffs.
post #150 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Nope, because for anyone in Baltimore to become another Steve Bartman, the Orioles would have to be in the playoffs.



I'm turning into Aubrey Huff.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back