or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back - Page 9

post #121 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
I don't buy this rationale. Doing what you suggest is like going to a fancy restaurant and ordering water and a salad cause it's all you can afford.

No. It's like going to a fancy restaurant with a 65% off coupon.
post #122 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
What you are clearly not understanding is that Big Sports has brainwashed the good working people of the US into making them think no trip to the ball park is complete without a buying a jersey (one per child), expensive fast food and alcohol, and the best seats you can afford using a Pay Day loan. Big Sports has so corrupted the good working people of the US we cannot hold them accountable for over spending on such items.

Told you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
I don't buy this rationale. Doing what you suggest is like going to a fancy restaurant and ordering water and a salad cause it's all you can afford. In that case dont go to the fancy place, but this isnt about some uppity eatery, its the fucking ballpark. The whole package is what a ball game is. And your $13 seats are where you literally need binoculars to see the players, and when the Pirates or Royals are in town. Why do you think food prices are what they are, because they know people will pay them.

It's every 'Merican's god given right to have the full monty at the ballpark for cheap!
post #123 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
It's every 'Merican's god given right to have the full monty at the ballpark for cheap!

No its not, but something like Major League Baseball, which is ingrained into the American psyche as being something for everyone, should be affordable. Especially when I watch tv and there are almost always empty seats at ball games across the Majors. Same holds true for every major sport really, except soccer (which is cheap) and football (which is ALWAYS sold out). One of the things that helped millions of Americans become American, was going to the ball park. When my ancestors came over from Italy, they would go every weekend to the Polo Grounds to watch the Giants. Poor immigrants were able to afford something then that today many Americans can't.

Anyway, back to the topic, can someone post a link re: the taxes this kid is going to have to pay on his "gifts"? At least if he kept it and sold it, he would have been paying taxes on cash in hand...:/
post #124 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
No its not, but something like Major League Baseball, which is ingrained into the American psyche as being something for everyone, should be affordable. Especially when I watch tv and there are almost always empty seats at ball games across the Majors. Same holds true for every major sport really, except soccer (which is cheap) and football (which is ALWAYS sold out). One of the things that helped millions of Americans become American, was going to the ball park. When my ancestors came over from Italy, they would go every weekend to the Polo Grounds to watch the Giants. Poor immigrants were able to afford something then that today many Americans can't.

Anyway, back to the topic, can someone post a link re: the taxes this kid is going to have to pay on his "gifts"? At least if he kept it and sold it, he would have been paying taxes on cash in hand...:/

Really? Because like, you say so?

And as to baseball helping "Americans become Americans?" That's a hoot given how many furriners populate MLB.
post #125 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
I don't buy this rationale. Doing what you suggest is like going to a fancy restaurant and ordering water and a salad cause it's all you can afford. In that case dont go to the fancy place, but this isnt about some uppity eatery, its the fucking ballpark. The whole package is what a ball game is. And your $13 seats are where you literally need binoculars to see the players, and when the Pirates or Royals are in town. Why do you think food prices are what they are, because they know people will pay them.

NYR, the Royals won the series this year 2-1. Let's go Royals! And yeah my seats were $5 each.. It pays to be a fan of a small market team . . . except when it comes to post-season play . .

PS The new Yankees Stadium blows. The nearly 50 year old Kauffman Stadium puts it to shame. But the Yankees fans are engaged which makes the experience more enjoyable.
post #126 of 174
NVM, too mean. NYR, you are a horrible human being, and every opinion you hold comes, as far as I can tell, directly from your personal venality.
post #127 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
NVM, too mean. NYR, you are a horrible human being, and every opinion you hold comes, as far as I can tell, directly from your personal venality.

I'm crushed. Literally. How can I go on, knowing you think so little of me? All from reading a few things on the CE side of a clothing forum too...
post #128 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Really? Because like, you say so?

And as to baseball helping "Americans become Americans?" That's a hoot given how many furriners populate MLB.

So you're a bigot as well? Nice. You've never heard the expression, "As American as baseball and apple pie." Or do I need to cite something more formal for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf895 View Post
NYR, the Royals won the series this year 2-1. Let's go Royals! And yeah my seats were $5 each.. It pays to be a fan of a small market team . . . except when it comes to post-season play . .

PS The new Yankees Stadium blows. The nearly 50 year old Kauffman Stadium puts it to shame. But the Yankees fans are engaged which makes the experience more enjoyable.

I've seen a game at Kauffman, and aside from the 120 degree temps, it was fun. Never been to the new Stadium, though I've heard its a very sterile place. I did love the old one though, had character. I love Citifield, great place to watch a game. Even has affordable "decent seats".
post #129 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
NVM, too mean. NYR, you are a horrible human being, and every opinion you hold comes, as far as I can tell, directly from your personal venality.

I'm wondering why you would say this, at least based on this thread. I don't think it's all that outrageous to lament the absurd price hikes that we've seen for all kinds of things, baseball seats among them. I know, I know, "the market." You understand the market as well as anyone but you can also be as insulted by a ridiculous price as anyone else. Just because someone, somewhere will pay it that doesn't make it justified. Or, maybe it does, but we all have a certain respect for those who deliever honest value at a fair price just as we all have a certain conptempt for those who gouge simply because they can.

I know that we can all just walk away if we don't like the price but the list of things that I have walked away from, and never will return to, on this score is very long. I guess I am glad I got to experience certain things before the pricing began to seem like a deliberate wad of spit in my eye. But I am still sort of ticked off about it anyway.
post #130 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
I've seen a game at Kauffman, and aside from the 120 degree temps, it was fun. Never been to the new Stadium, though I've heard its a very sterile place. I did love the old one though, had character. I love Citifield, great place to watch a game. Even has affordable "decent seats".

Sterile is a great way to describe the new Yankees Stadium. My girlfriend and I went to a Mets game a few weeks ago. We had a blast and really enjoyed Citifield, especially the Blue Smoke BBQ.
post #131 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf895 View Post
Sterile is a great way to describe the new Yankees Stadium. My girlfriend and I went to a Mets game a few weeks ago. We had a blast and really enjoyed Citifield, especially the Blue Smoke BBQ.

You have the pulled pork? mmmmm
post #132 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
I'm crushed. Literally. How can I go on, knowing you think so little of me? All from reading a few things on the CE side of a clothing forum too...

Don't feel bad bro. I'm pretty sure after all the hype wears thin this kid's gonna realize that giving that ball back essentially cost him ~$14K in taxes on top of the debt he's already in and he would agree with you.

My guess is soon after he'll become a Mets fan.
post #133 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I'm wondering why you would say this, at least based on this thread. I don't think it's all that outrageous to lament the absurd price hikes that we've seen for all kinds of things, baseball seats among them. I know, I know, "the market." You understand the market as well as anyone but you can also be as insulted by a ridiculous price as anyone else. Just because someone, somewhere will pay it that doesn't make it justified. Or, maybe it does, but we all have a certain respect for those who deliever honest value at a fair price just as we all have a certain conptempt for those who gouge simply because they can.

I know that we can all just walk away if we don't like the price but the list of things that I have walked away from, and never will return to, on this score is very long. I guess I am glad I got to experience certain things before the pricing began to seem like a deliberate wad of spit in my eye. But I am still sort of ticked off about it anyway.
It's a thread about how somebody was a schmuck because he decided to do something nice rather than to milk it for whatever money he could, how it costs $500 dollars to go to a baseball game when it really doesn't, and about how he deserves to see baseball and get a jersey and get a foot long hot dog because this is America. The sick congregation of get what you can or you are an asshole, woe is me and I am entitled is just a bit too much to bear. I don't like how much sports cost either, but it is simply a function of supply and demand, except you can still sit in the bleachers and bring a sandwich and have fun with your kids, just like your parents used to do, but that isn't what NYR wants. He wants club level, foot massage and the rest of the works. Give me a break, really. So, in conclusion, I agree with your sentiment, but his is not yours.
post #134 of 174
i should read more carefully.
post #135 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
So you're a bigot as well? Nice. You've never heard the expression, "As American as baseball and apple pie." Or do I need to cite something more formal for you?

I'm a biggot because I find it funny that a material number of MLB players are not American given what you said? :laugh. Seriously, I read Ed's criticism of you in DT and thought he might be going a bit overboard, so I thought I'd read this thread. Your accusation against me shows he was probably being too easy on you. Not only do you lack any sense of humour, you are apparently unable to think and toss out powderkeg labels at the drop of a hat. And yet...you think you have the moral authority to call this stand up Joe that returned the ball a schmuck? The level of your idiocy apparently knows no bounds.

Nice work, teach.

Btw, I'm a furriner myself. Are you a biggot for calling a furriner a bigot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back