• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch straps detained by Canadian Customs--Any hope for me?

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Maybe this should go under "Things that are pissing you off", but anyway...

I order a couple of alligator leather watch straps from Sirtoli. They took their time getting here due to the postal strike, but then I received a warning notice from Environment Canada this week saying that I was unlawfully importing genuine alligator skin product because I didn't have a permit.

Has this happened to other Canucks here? What did you do?

I'm a noob at this and really didn't know a permit was needed. I have 90 days to make my case, after which I forfeit the straps. As I learned this week, the only ways to get out of this seem to be:

1) Prove those straps have been mine since 1975;
2) Prove that I'm a recently landed immigrant and those straps are part of my possessions; or
3) Prove that I'm inheriting those straps from someone who died recently outside of Canada.

Since those scenarios don't apply to me, do I just wait three months for the axe to fall? Would I be hit with a fine?

What pisses me off is those straps were made with Louisiana alligator leather, and those alligators are not the least bit endangered, and they wound up on CITES' species list only because they look like some endangered crocs and alligators.

Do watch lovers all get permits in Canada or something? This is ridiculous. Sirtoli tells me this has never happened with the straps sent to Canada or anywhere else.

Costanza

Reaction score
does that mean no gator shoes get across either?

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Costanza
does that mean no gator shoes get across either?

Well, if you were wearing them at the time, then you're probably OK. (This is another thing that pisses me off: it's probably OK if I picked up the straps and took them across the border. But get them through mail and it's illegal.)

If you are getting them by mail and you think Customs might check, then you'd probably need a permit. I don't really know for sure.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to say this, Canada Customs are not the brightest lot and even if you could facilitate a discussion between Sirtoli and the officer looking after your file, they still won't budge.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This can happen with US Customs too.
Sirtoli should have known better than to not have provided the correct documentation with the shipment.

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
This can happen with US Customs too.
Sirtoli should have known better than to not have provided the correct documentation with the shipment.

To be fair, I'd have had to have an import permit, too. My fate was probably sealed the moment Customs decided to open my package.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asian Afro
To be fair, I'd have had to have an import permit, too. My fate was probably sealed the moment Customs decided to open my package.

I see. For us USAns, the sender has to provide documentation for the origin of the leather but we don't have to do anything special on our end.

Several years ago I ordered a jlc with ostrich strap from overseas but they sent it on croc without the correct form. But it managed to slip through without inspection by Fish & Wildlife.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think your screwed.

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I see. For us USAns, the sender has to provide documentation for the origin of the leather but we don't have to do anything special on our end.

Several years ago I ordered a jlc with ostrich strap from overseas but they sent it on croc without the correct form. But it managed to slip through without inspection by Fish & Wildlife.

Actually, I'm wrong. I did a little more digging after answering your post. The warning notice I received said that the straps required a permit to import, but Environment Canada's web site says that, for CITES Appendix II species, they would require only an export permit from the country of origin (see here).

These wildlife officers need to learn how to write plainly.

I'm going to get in touch with Environment Canada to confirm this, and see if there's someway to resolve this to my satisfaction.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At least they aren't digging around in your asshole like they did the last time I had, um, issues with Canadian Customs.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
At least they aren't digging around in your asshole like they did the last time I had, um, issues with Canadian Customs.

lol seriously? Was it a man or a woman? That's what you get for being such a pretty-boy.
lol8[1].gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
lol seriously? Was it a man or a woman? That's what you get for being such a pretty-boy.
lol8[1].gif

It was an unattractive, rather burly man. Or, an extremely unattractive, burly "woman".

Jimtherider

Reaction score
As per CITES international agreements: you can purchase in the USA up to 4 straps, and bring them home. If you order on line, then the shipper is an "exporter" and as such, much complete an export CITES form and submit to US Fish and Wildlife for approval; that approved form becomes the Canadian OK to enter the country. http://www.fws.gov/le/commercial-wildlife-shipment.html --> https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/factsheet-cites-permits-and-certificates-2013.pdf Alligator and crocodile are appdenx II listed.

Possible workaround: ship to nearest FedEx office near a border near you drive there, pick up. I haven't tested this out and caution it might not work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads