or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Watches are back, baby!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watches are back, baby! - Page 3

post #31 of 69
I've never been able to tolerate the feeling of wearing a watch (or any sort of bracelet for that matter). My parents bought me many as a child. I would wear them for a day and then they'd end up buried away in a drawer.

I've always wanted to carry a pocket watch, however. I wish modern fashion didn't make them so impractical. Maybe some day when I frequently find myself wearing vests and sportcoats.
post #32 of 69
Lotta dudes here living in a bubble
post #33 of 69
... stupid kids... btw, get the fuck off my lawn!....
post #34 of 69
As a vintage rolex collector, I disagree with this article 100%. Owning vintage watches is not about image and fashion, nor is it about living the life of James Bond through period timepeices. Obviously this writer has not an ounce of clue what watches are to most people.
post #35 of 69
Big + to benjamin!
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post
As a vintage rolex collector, I disagree with this article 100%. Owning vintage watches is not about image and fashion, nor is it about living the life of James Bond through period timepeices. Obviously this writer has not an ounce of clue what watches are to most people.

But then again, he's not writing about most people but about a very specific category of people.
post #37 of 69
Wearing a nice watch isn't just about telling the time. What a dumb thing to say. A cell phone is never comparable.
post #38 of 69
I dont wear a watch because I have tiny little girl wrists and normal men's watches look huge on me. Purely aesthetic as there are enough clocks around everywhere that I rarely need to consult my phone or wrist for the time.
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post
i just want you guys to admit you're wearing a BRACELET that just happens to tell the time

ok

can you admit you're wearing jewelry please

I admit it, I only wear a watch on formal/semiformal occasions, it's a vintage King Seiko. I have other watches and used to wear a watch 24 hours a day back when I needed to know the time with some precision. These days I know it's morning because I just woke up, it's afternoon because I'm hungry and it's bright outside, it's night because the sun aint there no more and it's bed time because I'm sleepy.
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_2001 View Post
well it's part of being a little minimalistic

i was crazy about g-shocks when i was 10 to 15, because they really did everything and didn't cost an arm and a leg. to this day i like g shocks but it doesn't really fit my gothninja or minimalist style (generally i switch between the two depending on the season)

today i check my iphone for the time. it's like second nature. i would also rather not be part of the herd now getting into red wings and the lot. it's just strange.

I can't wait for people to start calling their iphone their phone.
post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post
As a vintage rolex collector, I disagree with this article 100%. Owning vintage watches is not about image and fashion, nor is it about living the life of James Bond through period timepeices. Obviously this writer has not an ounce of clue what watches are to most people.


This^ someone earlier said something mocking someone else who spends 1000s on a rolex for "fashion" thats not at all what a watch is about. The money is paying for craftsmanship and longevity. If you wanted "fashion" you could buy one of those god awful invicta watches.
post #42 of 69
"My anecdotal evidence about wearing a watch regularly myself clearly invalidates decades of retail trends in the watch market"
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
Hey Uncontrol, I started wearing rings. How long till I start watching "Glee?"

i've never even seen this show
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboycom View Post
I dont wear a watch because I have tiny little girl wrists and normal men's watches look huge on me. Purely aesthetic as there are enough clocks around everywhere that I rarely need to consult my phone or wrist for the time.

The good news for you is that watch sizes seem to be trending down. Articles reporting on Baselworld said this continues the trend seen last year.

My very first watch was the Omega Seamaster 120 Chronometer, and it is only 37 mm in diameter. Compared to Panerais and Hublots it is tiny, but compared to the Datejust 1 it is fine. I really hope watches settle back into the 36-40 mm range. Some of the ones worn today look comical.
post #45 of 69
I've gotten so used to the feel of a watch that my wrist feels naked when I don't wear one.

I've always liked vintage watches, especially if there's some sort of story behind them. My Seamaster was given to an uncle as a HS grad present in the early 60s, my Rolex Oyster Perpetual was my late father's, I bought my wife a NOS Hamilton milspec to replace one owned by her late father...

But yeah, a cellphone keeps better time, obvs...

The other great thing about vintage watches is that you're essentially borrowing the timepiece. You'd have to ask a collector but I can't imagine a decent vintage Rolex declining in value, provided you did your homework before buying.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Watches are back, baby!