or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WAYWRN: MC Casual Style - Page 243

post #3631 of 16199
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

I wear a t-shirt to work. Your point?
My point is that wearing a jacket is socially acceptable when you're trying to look respectable. I just like to look respectable more often than not. It had worked well for me so far.
It all comes down to what you're trying to achieve. I like to be perceived as a social, well-off, young guy with a sense of style. Fitting well both into a younger and an older crowd. I like good restaurants, operas and beautiful women in elegant dresses. For me, dressing the way I do makes me fit into that world I want to be in. It seems to me that most people want to live in some version of that world, otherwise all of the things I described would not be the majority of businesses and advertisements, as well as high-class societies around the world. YMMV.

In LA it is mostly a version of that world where people wear tee shirts...
post #3632 of 16199
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

It all comes down to what you're trying to achieve. I like to be perceived as a social, well-off, young guy with a sense of style. Fitting well both into a younger and an older crowd. I like good restaurants, operas and beautiful women in elegant dresses. For me, dressing the way I do makes me fit into that world I want to be in. It seems to me that most people want to live in some version of that world, otherwise all of the things I described would not be the majority of businesses and advertisements, as well as high-class societies around the world. YMMV.


This makes it sound like you're trying to look upper-class but in reality, the way you dress just makes you look aspirational. That's fine; I'll grant you that aspirationals tend to dress better anyway, but let's be honest. You're not going to fool anyone into thinking you're something you're not by spending a bunch of money and obsessing over clothes. 95% of the truly wealthy people seem to have other things they care about, and people can tell the difference.

 

post #3633 of 16199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

no, you're trying to say that you're well dressed and everyone you interact with thinks so, therefore your aesthetic isn't costume, where SVB, even though he dresses similarly, recognizes that it is. what you wear and how you dress is just as much apart from the mainstream of american fashion culture as anything else on this site. and, as i said, i don't even care so much that you're wrong in this opinion, but what bothers me is that you're using it as some weird self-justification to both proclaim your fashion supremacy and reject those who don't dress like you. it's bizarre and stupid.

I don't reject anyone. I simply stated that the majority of people in this society perceives MC style as more normal than some of the SW&D looks. No matter how much you argue that, it's still true. Nowhere did I claim that blending in was good, or that acceptance is a way of judging style, or even that MC is better than SW&D. You're inventing words. I absolutely respect every forum, but I do like to have a civilized argument every now and then, just for fun. I think you're taking this way too close to your heart.
post #3634 of 16199
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

I wear a t-shirt to work. Your point?
My point is that wearing a jacket is socially acceptable when you're trying to look respectable. I just like to look respectable more often than not. It had worked well for me so far.
It all comes down to what you're trying to achieve. I like to be perceived as a social, well-off, young guy with a sense of style. Fitting well both into a younger and an older crowd. I like good restaurants, operas and beautiful women in elegant dresses. For me, dressing the way I do makes me fit into that world I want to be in. It seems to me that most people want to live in some version of that world, otherwise all of the things I described would not be the majority of businesses and advertisements, as well as high-class societies around the world. YMMV.

i assume that on SF you strive to be perceived as a haughty douchebag, because that's how you come off. jesus christ.. did you even read this before you posted it? i like a lot of 'nice' things too, but i don't think my taste level makes me better than others or that how i dress has anything to do with either...
post #3635 of 16199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post



This makes it sound like you're trying to look upper-class but in reality, the way you dress just makes you look aspirational. That's fine; I'll grant you that aspirationals tend to dress better anyway, but let's be honest. You're not going to fool anyone into thinking you're something you're not by spending a bunch of money and obsessing over clothes. 95% of the truly wealthy people seem to have other things they care about, and people can tell the difference.

You are right, but I don't obsess about clothes. I just like to look nice and be in harmony with my environment. I don't wear jackets or suits when I go to salsa clubs. I do when I go to a nice restaurant. And I certainly don't try be something I am not. I was just trying to use that as a point.
post #3636 of 16199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

In LA it is mostly a version of that world where people wear tee shirts...

fuuma you don't understand. he likes fancy restaurants and beautiful women.
post #3637 of 16199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

i assume that on SF you strive to be perceived as a haughty douchebag, because that's how you come off. jesus christ.. did you even read this before you posted it? i like a lot of 'nice' things too, but i don't think my taste level makes me better than others or that how i dress has anything to do with either...

I fail to see where you get all that. But you may think whatever you want of me, I really don't care.
post #3638 of 16199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

fuuma you don't understand. he likes fancy restaurants and beautiful women.

I actually do, and I wouldn't wear a t-shirt when I go to one. Your problem?
post #3639 of 16199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

fuuma you don't understand. he likes fancy restaurants and beautiful women.

I like insalubrious restaurents and ugly chicks so I wear sneakers and everything clicks.
post #3640 of 16199
Thread Starter 
Yawn. Personal attacks are fun, yes. But I was hoping for a civilized discussion.
post #3641 of 16199

Here is a recent SWD look from a regular poster that received 25 thumbs up in the WAYWT thread. It isn't earth-shattering, but it's pretty typical for SWD circa 2012. Tell me how this wouldn't blend into a city environment (while still registering as "better dressed than average" to those looking for it) better than the typical fits seen in this thread

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLester View Post

kdnbJ.jpg


 

post #3642 of 16199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

the point is that some people are attempting to argue that it's not equally true, and that SW&D is much more of an acquired taste .. which is nonsense.

I agree with the above, and you need look no further than the MC watch pr0n thread to see it in action
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

but who gives a shit.. this entire argument is asinine anyway. the entire premise of this site is that most people have shitty opinions about clothes and dress like garbage. why is popular perception suddenly the arbiter of good taste?

Actually, the entire premise of this site is largely (but not entirely) built around what people in LA and NYC and San Fran "think" is the best or most fashionably appropriate attire. Any extrapolations beyond that become pretty futile from my few years of observing fits and opinions on this forum. If you look at the numbers, that's between 7-8 percent of the US population alone.
post #3643 of 16199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

Here is a recent SWD look from a regular poster that received 25 thumbs up in the WAYWT thread. It isn't earth-shattering, but it's pretty typical for SWD circa 2012. Tell me how this wouldn't blend into a city environment (while still registering as "better dressed than average" to those looking for it) better than the typical fits seen in this thread

It's a great look. Show me where I've ever posted that SW&D looks bad. I never did. I'm not sure where all those people get that idea, but I welcome you to read my posts and prove me wrong. All I said was that some posts look ridiculous and are an acquired taste. And that's true. Most of the stuff is great, though.
post #3644 of 16199
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_umbrella View Post

...he points out that MC stays within a certain set of norms. I think the overarching difference is that MC accepts a form of uniform, whereas SW&D is looking to break out of that. Look at neo's sig tags for an excellent example of this mentality

Those were from MC regulars in WAYRN back when Neo was new. He's mostly a MC WAYRN poster.

Not that it matters to the current argument- and I more or less agree with your premise.
post #3645 of 16199

see also:

 

people who use words like "classy" and "fancy" aren't.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style