or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WAYWRN: MC Casual Style - Page 11

post #151 of 15353
A problem that IMO keeps cropping up in this thread is the shoehorning of business/work elements into casual fits, where they just... do not work.

Many members look like they tried to re-use parts of their work wardrobe in casual fits, or simply swapped out the colours of items in their ensemble, or worse, tried removing/modifiying a single element of a MC work fit in an attempt to 'casualise' it.

You have a fit with a navy jacket that for all intents and purposes looks CBD workwear paired with... 'fun' belt and faded jeans. And then there are multiple examples of shirt wih sleeves left unrolled and collars buttoned up to -1, looking like you've lost your jacket somewhere along the way. And then a CBD-which-has-lost-it's-way look, complete with balmoral shoe and worsted wool trou. And then there is that 'motorcycle' casual look, which has been forever seared into my retinas and which I swear I have seen before at Zara... in the women's section. shog[1].gif

gshen IMO does a more than decent job - clothes are casual, style is casual, accessories are casual, colours are casual. Everything gels.

Just my 0.02
post #152 of 15353
?
Ok, just jeans, a polo and loafers... but I though we agree this gonna be "smart" or "business" casual, too.

500
post #153 of 15353


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

A problem that IMO keeps cropping up in this thread is the shoehorning of business/work elements into casual fits, where they just... do not work.

Many members look like they tried to re-use parts of their work wardrobe in casual fits, or simply swapped out the colours of items in their ensemble, or worse, tried removing/modifiying a single element of a MC work fit in an attempt to 'casualise' it.

You have a fit with a navy jacket that for all intents and purposes looks CBD workwear paired with... 'fun' belt and faded jeans. And then there are multiple examples of shirt wih sleeves left unrolled and collars buttoned up to -1, looking like you've lost your jacket somewhere along the way. And then a CBD-which-has-lost-it's-way look, complete with balmoral shoe and worsted wool trou. And then there is that 'motorcycle' casual look, which has been forever seared into my retinas and which I swear I have seen before at Zara... in the women's section. shog[1].gif

gshen IMO does a more than decent job - clothes are casual, style is casual, accessories are casual, colours are casual. Everything gels.

Just my 0.02


 

+1, I have given up on trying to wear jeans with SCs. I have seen it done well on like 1% of the occasions it is done. I have stopped trying to be that 1%. 

post #154 of 15353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecowView Post
I am with you, but not if it stops a lot of people from posting. I see a lot more inspirational fits in classical ensembles than casual ones. I'd like to see more of the latter. To get some new ideas. It would be cool if you'd cross-post from SW&D here. Your fits are always very interesting.

I could but, once again, if it becomes too precise its not like I fit in the theme.

I mean...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA


First thing that came to my mind when I saw this sorry crew.
post #155 of 15353
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

A problem that IMO keeps cropping up in this thread is the shoehorning of business/work elements into casual fits, where they just... do not work.

Many members look like they tried to re-use parts of their work wardrobe in casual fits, or simply swapped out the colours of items in their ensemble, or worse, tried removing/modifiying a single element of a MC work fit in an attempt to 'casualise' it.

You have a fit with a navy jacket that for all intents and purposes looks CBD workwear paired with... 'fun' belt and faded jeans. And then there are multiple examples of shirt wih sleeves left unrolled and collars buttoned up to -1, looking like you've lost your jacket somewhere along the way. And then a CBD-which-has-lost-it's-way look, complete with balmoral shoe and worsted wool trou. And then there is that 'motorcycle' casual look, which has been forever seared into my retinas and which I swear I have seen before at Zara... in the women's section. shog[1].gif

gshen IMO does a more than decent job - clothes are casual, style is casual, accessories are casual, colours are casual. Everything gels.

Just my 0.02

The worst offense MCer do is when they have basically swap their dress slacks for raw jeans and now call this casual. If you're wearing a big ass tie, some stiff collared dress shirt, a blazer and some dress shoes you're not casual, you're confused.
post #156 of 15353
+1
post #157 of 15353
500

Dress shirt: Prada
Belt: Levi
Jeans: Dior Homme
Shoes: Georg Materna
post #158 of 15353
hdp0116.jpg

hdp0115.jpg

What is everyone's opinion on this, for a ridiculously cold July day? I think the jumper fits me less wel than I had thought before taking a photo of it.
post #159 of 15353

This strikes me as more SWD than MC Casual, particularly given the overall baggy appearance.

post #160 of 15353
I like the idea of this thread, but page 11 alone shows the dangers of trying to find a middle ground between Apropos' comments regarding business wear with one item changed, and pics that really belong on SW&D.
post #161 of 15353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

I like the idea of this thread, but page 11 alone shows the dangers of trying to find a middle ground between Apropos' comments regarding business wear with one item changed, and pics that really belong on SW&D.

I don't think 'businesswear with one item changed' is anywhere near what people think of with MC casual. The way I think about it is casual clothing from the MC mindset. SW&D has a very different outlook on clothing. Pember's fit, in terms of it's approach, would go very well in that forum. Cuffed jeans, no collar, sweater that verges on the 'anti-fit' "ideal"...

Basically, I think of MC casual as a more mature understanding of casual dressing, ranging in formality from a step or two below business casual to a step below traditional business attire. There's going to be an overlap with some SW&D in there (see Fuuma's latest post), but it's not going to overlap with the four clowns on a street corner picture.
post #162 of 15353
I think we can stop debating if this thread should exist or not.

It's on page 11, if it works it will last, if not, it will desappear.

If we post picures and critic them (just like in regular WAYWRN thread): not only fit but also if it's too casual or too SW&D, eventually some"rules" will establish themselves... or maybe not. shog[1].gif
post #163 of 15353
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


I don't think 'businesswear with one item changed' is anywhere near what people think of with MC casual. The way I think about it is casual clothing from the MC mindset. SW&D has a very different outlook on clothing. Pember's fit, in terms of it's approach, would go very well in that forum. Cuffed jeans, no collar, sweater that verges on the 'anti-fit' "ideal"...

Basically, I think of MC casual as a more mature understanding of casual dressing, ranging in formality from a step or two below business casual to a step below traditional business attire. There's going to be an overlap with some SW&D in there (see Fuuma's latest post), but it's not going to overlap with the four clowns on a street corner picture.

Well I'm one of the four clowns (who are very well dressed btw, you just don't know the codes) AND the one who posted a real relaxed fit with dress shoes and dress shirt a few posts above.

Another problem with mc casual: if you're wearing your regular gray dress slacks, dress shoes and a dress shirt you're just a guy who lost his jacket.
post #164 of 15353
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

A problem that IMO keeps cropping up in this thread is the shoehorning of business/work elements into casual fits, where they just... do not work.

looking like you've lost your jacket somewhere along the way.

gshen IMO does a more than decent job - clothes are casual, style is casual, accessories are casual, colours are casual. Everything gels.

Just my 0.02

Could you give examples of what this looks like? I work in a casual office environment and most men wear slacks and a dress shirt and no one looks like they lost their jacket. And I agree, gshen has excellent MC casual style. I have tried to adopt a few of his stylish points myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post


Well I'm one of the four clowns (who are very well dressed btw, you just don't know the codes) AND the one who posted a real relaxed fit with dress shoes and dress shirt a few posts above.

Another problem with mc casual: if you're wearing your regular gray dress slacks, dress shoes and a dress shirt you're just a guy who lost his jacket.

really? thats what comes to mind when you see a guy that is wearing slacks and dress shirt? really?
post #165 of 15353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post


Well I'm one of the four clowns (who are very well dressed btw, you just don't know the codes) AND the one who posted a real relaxed fit with dress shoes and dress shirt a few posts above.

I don't care about the codes. To an outside observer, it looks like crap. If you need to be told something is supposed to look good in order for it to look good to you, it doesn't look good. The one a few posts above looks good, and is one of the ones I would say is in the overlap between MC casual and SW&D. The clothes mostly fit (SW&D's obsession with stacking confounds me), and are neatly presented. The colors are well coordinated. It's a nice outfit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style