or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WAYWRN: MC Casual Style - Page 943

post #14131 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

If you want actual bulletproof items that are well made with a similar style, try Epaulet.

The simple fact is that people recycle their clothing style years before anything from BR or JCrew even comes close to "disintegrating".
What specific items from Epaulet do you like? (pants? jackets? socks?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Everything I have ever owned from BR has been garbage. Not just in terms of quality (the last sweater I owned from them a few years ago disintegrated in less than a year),

Then stop playing rugby in your BR sweaters, you fool.
If BR or JCrew stuff actually "disintegrated immediately" there would be class action lawsuits.
In reality, even shit from the dollar store doesn't "disintegrate immediately"
post #14132 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
 

To be fair, despite the perennially chippy & abrasive attitude that does him few favours in terms of likeability or credibility, Reevolving is correct that many of the looks SF like will generally only play well either in cosmopolitan towns/cities where personal expression is appreciated by at least a significant subset of the population, or otherwise be in places/professions where there are substantial reservoirs of wealth & tradition such that older dress styles persist. You can see this dual (and sometimes overlapping) trend evident in the range of locations and professions of many SF members.

 

If someone lives or works in either a culturally narrower or else more casual sort of place, wearing many SF CM looks would make you stick out like a sore thumb. IMO, that would would be true regardless of whether it was a "tasteful" SF look or one of the more flashy ones; both are very distinctively different to what the average person wears these days. That doesn't mean they can't be pulled off; over time, people will recognise the man rather than the clothes. But it would be eye-catchingly different in many places. Dressing like everyone else, even if that meant apeing mall looks, would be the safer - and arguably more sensible - option in those circumstances (or move somewhere else, or do a job that permits more variation from the norm, etc). Age also matters; it's much harder for a kid just out of university to dress in SF CM style than someone in their 30s, 40s, etc, simply because culturally, SF CM is an older dress style (even when done in a modern way). Also, younger people tend to be concerned about what the average person on the street thinks of them, whereas once you're more estabilished you tend to indulge your personal interests & foibles more and when you do care about what others think, it's about what those close to you feel, not some stranger.

 

Very true. Reev is abrasive at best however he does (in my mind) have a point. The world has progressed such that, in most places, SF looks are nearly cartoonish to the general populace. I live in Minnesota and I enjoy dressing closure to the SF norm than my peers but, even 2 years into my employment, people see it as strange. I don't even go full SF, doing the dreaded dark denim in-lieu of slacks. While I dress for me, the friends of mine who dress in full J. Crew inevitably get more compliments from the fairer sex; there's a lot of persuasion in that alone.


If I were to come in full suit or SF approved looks I would stick out even more than I do now, and not in a generally approved way.

post #14133 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post


That outfit would get a lot of compliments from women in their 20s through 40s.

 

I dress like that on weekends and girls think I come from church. Just sayin'.

 

Anything that is not t-shirt and jeans doesn't get any compliments from women in their 20s through 40s. Given that fact, I prefer to do the whole "SF costume" look and enjoy my clothes myself, at least at work. No one tells the difference.


Edited by RDiaz - 9/4/13 at 2:47pm
post #14134 of 16368
Reevolving is a striking combination of stupidity and trolling, just put him on ignore and move on.
post #14135 of 16368

^ I disagree, the outfit I posted yesterday had me get hit on severely by this one woman. And the most complimented piece of clothing I own by far would be my Tricker's. I didn't get complimented ever before SF.

post #14136 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Reevolving is a striking combination of stupidity and trolling, just put him on ignore and move on.

I am quickly coming to this same conclusion. I'd block him, but so far his trolling is too entertaining.

This could change, of course.
post #14137 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolron View Post
 

^ I disagree, the outfit I posted yesterday had me get hit on severely by this one woman. And the most complimented piece of clothing I own by far would be my Tricker's. I didn't get complimented ever before SF.

 

Well, we're from different countries.

post #14138 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

What specific items from Epaulet do you like? (pants? jackets? socks?)

Rivet chinos (specifically the duck canvas) and Walt trousers (I actually go for their fuller-fitting Rudy trouser, but it's all the same cloths and construction), are probably the best casual (for Rivets) and semi-formal (Walts) pants money can buy. Obviously way more expensive than any mall brand, but worth the extra cash IMO.
post #14139 of 16368
He's not wrong in his criticism,

This is a costume or a joke that requires a considerable amount of commitment.
350x700px-LL-2395c026_DSCF7442.jpeg

He's wrong about gnatty. That sportscoat is pretty dope. I'd never wear a bowtie (sans tux) but stuff like that happens all the time in the dirty souf and it's no big deal.

350x700px-LL-7a9e3b81_P1030616.jpeg

But his real mistake is the solution he proposes.
post #14140 of 16368
His point that overdressing is not good is perfectly fair. I don't have a problem with that at all.

Looking at that thread he started back in December, most of those were actually pretty good casual looks.

What is completely off base is 1) that wearing anything other than casual makes you look "like pee wee herman", and 2) that BR is the solution.
post #14141 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

He's not wrong in his criticism,

This is a costume or a joke that requires a considerable amount of commitment. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
350x700px-LL-2395c026_DSCF7442.jpeg

Other than the hat, what is costumey about this? It's a gray DB suit with a bright tie.
post #14142 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolron View Post

^ I disagree, the outfit I posted yesterday had me get hit on severely by this one woman. And the most complimented piece of clothing I own by far would be my Tricker's. I didn't get complimented ever before SF.


Shoes are an exception.
Tricker's should get you lots of compliments.
My Cheaney's have been getting noticed like crazy lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolron View Post





I am surprised this got complimented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post

Anything that is not t-shirt and jeans doesn't get any compliments from women in their 20s through 40s. Given that fact, I prefer to do the whole "SF costume" look and enjoy my clothes myself, at least at work. No one tells the difference.

Which trailer park do you live in?
Women do not compliment t-shirts and jeans.
post #14143 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

While I dress for me,
the friends of mine who dress in full J. Crew inevitably get more compliments from the fairer sex;
there's a lot of persuasion in that alone.

If this is news to you, then you need to take a break from SF.
I have been gone for a year or two, and toned down my wardrobe considerably.
Coming back, the people and outfits here look absolutely idiotic.
You need to step away to see with objectivity.


Think of the most attractive women you know. Now, who do you think they would date?
Which set of guys look masculine and confident to you?
Which look like Orville Redenbocker, Erkel, and Pee Wee Herman, and a 1970s used car salesmen sans the afro?
You can argue this all day long. But it's obvious. Mall fashion FTMFW!




post #14144 of 16368
Those dip shits in the sweaters sure dont look "masculine and confident" to me. Looks like they spent way too much time trying to make look like they didn't spend any time getting ready.


I'm sure there is some reddit sub forum that also drools over the latest look book from Banana Republic. You will have much better luck there.


Now where did that ignore button go......
post #14145 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post


If this is news to you, then you need to take a break from SF.
I have been gone for a year or two, and toned down my wardrobe considerably.
Coming back, the people and outfits here look absolutely idiotic.
You need to step away to see with objectivity.


Think of the most attractive women you know. Now, who do you think they would date?
Which set of guys look masculine and confident to you?
Which look like Orville Redenbocker, Erkel, and Pee Wee Herman, and a 1970s used car salesmen sans the afro?
You can argue this all day long. But it's obvious. Mall fashion FTMFW! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




 

 

I get you but you are playing a silly game of finding some average dudes and comparing them against fashion models. I could dress like them all day and look like an ass, that is why they are models because they are slightly better looking than a clothes hanger. You win the argument that male models will pick up more chicks than the gentlemen on the forum. You could also dress them in well tailored outfits exactly like the SF gentlemen are wearing and guess what, they are going to get more chicks than we are. Is this news to you that women prefer attractive muscular young men? You put those same SF gentlemen in the J Crew stuff and most of us will look like a stuffed sausages because many of us are middle aged with jobs so don't have washboard abs. Do you think the girls will fall all over us if we dress like these children? I dress in SF approved clothing because it draws attention to my broad shoulders, slim legs and away from my growing belly. That is the entire purpose of dressing well, you highlight your attributes and minimize your faults. This is a forum for people who enjoy this look, if you don't like it why are you here? To spread your wisdom that J Crew models are better looking than us? Ok we got it, lesson learned.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style