Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Clothes to wear to a club/party? Last post on 6/15/07 at 11:59pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Brooks Brothers Milano Pant Challenge - Who did it best? VOTE! Last post on 7/28/11 at 6:19pm in Classic Menswear
- VOTE: Fit of the Week :) Last post on 8/21/11 at 10:49am in Classic Menswear
- Your Spring/Summer Looks Last post on 7/1/14 at 6:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Your workhorse Spring/Summer cotton/linen sport jacket Last post on 5/23/15 at 10:38am in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style - Page 1338
Hey thanks! The 1920s-30s vibe is mostly the mustache, I think. I do love classic stuff, but I make an effort to keep things modern to some degree so I don't wind up looking like a historical reenactor. I try to throw in some un-30s anachronism like a turtleneck, or a Shetland sweater, or more modern, soft-shouldered Italian jackets (which are my favorites anyway).
I do like me some high-waisted pants though, mainly because they flatter me. Those high-waisted LVC 501 reissues all look weird on me for some reason, though. I like the modern USA selvedge 501s. Fave jeans ever.
What I like most is stuff that exists out of time, like, you look at it and it could be from the 70s or the 30s or the 80s or now, and mixing it all up. The mustache nudges things into a 20s-30s area, I suppose, and I guess I'm cool with that. Those eras occupy a big part of my personality, but you're as likely to find me listening to Tune-Yards, Jerry Reed, George Clinton, or Lorde as Django Reinhardt. I'm certainly not one of these like 23-skiddoo people down at the swing dance.
Er, not that there's anything wrong with that
Thanks for sharing those comments. It's interesting to hear the thoughts and ideas that go into putting together the look you've got. Would be cool to hear others talk about the same, especially folks like yourself who have a consistent, strong look.
@gnatty8 your boot game is strong.
With wool slacks, I think you can cuff a bit higher even if you're short (I stay around 1.5" -1.625" for me) but there I think because the cuff and leg are the same color and because often wool pants have an unfinished look to them without cuffs, it's much less likely to call attention to your height. The length of the pants and size of the leg opening have more of an impact on how tall you look or don't look, IMO.
@thefoxtooth everything works so well in that look, mate. From your hair style to the boots... the moustache is a plus... you really look like you stepped out of vintage a magazine spread o one of those Ralph Lauren Advertisments that recreat different periods in fashion... absolutely love that perfecto, man, it is awesome.
@Chulillo Hey thanks. Means a lot, coming from you—your stuff is always strong.
@jcmeyer I agree; my jeans cuffing is kind of context-dependent, though I rarely wear jeans with anything that isn't at least a little cowboy/moto, so it rarely changes.
@fairlynerdy Thanks. I like talking about that aspect of it; glad I'm not prattling on. I think this fit may negate a lot of the stuff I just said, though, damn it all.
OK, speaking of workwear, cuffs, Perfectos, and the 1930s:
WHAT PRICE GLORY?
@thefoxtooth , I really don't like those pants. They look way too wide.
They are not as crazy baggy as they look in the pix, but they are pretty wide. They're repro WWII officer's trousers, with a corresponding vintage cut. Same as you would get from Rickson in officer's pinks, etc. They have a very tall, slim top block which makes them not look sloppy IRL, but if I wore them with, say, my big pendleton blanket coat it might get weird. I like them with tighter jackets and sweaters.
I wouldn't cut all my trousers this way—no way in hell would I wear dress pants like this—but I like them a lot for a workwear look.
Will try to get some more shots later on that do them better justice. I think there are other cool silhouettes out there besides slim leg.
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 51 seconds ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 53 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 6 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 9 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 13 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 15 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 18 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...