• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what makes Seven for all mankind and Hudson jeans so expensive?

Brocktherock

Reaction score
So iv'e been looking through yahoo answers and several other random media outlets for some answers and have gotten so far good or bad experiences, and biased rooted opinions. in other words, the differnce between 10$ 70$ 200$ 200+$ jeans From a designer or high end-consumer standpoint, what makes these jeans much more different? does marketing play much of a role? that's what most people were saying, however i've yet to see one hudson or sevens for all mankind commercial or advertisement anywhere. is it the fabric? the second common reply from my time digging for answers. I read that the difference in quality would change costs from 10$ to 70$ max, after that it's all marketing and brand name. that makes the most sense to me, but that could also be someones opinion. You dont have to be a professional to make a comment. OR is it a mixture of both, or some other avenue of design that i haven't found. ie. used by celebrities, the way its made, or how durable/delicate they are. Please someone shed some light on this. im sure i can get a better understanding from the opinions and expertise of the guys here at style forum.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...add to your conclusions, greed.

Kamapuaa

Reaction score
It's not related to men's fashion. You'd probably get a better answer in the denim & streetwear group.

Random uneducated guess: some combination of smaller scale production, higher quality fabrics, and pricing themselves higher to be seen as a luxury/status item.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"what makes Seven for all mankind and Hudson jeans so expensive?" answer: women

stinsonbass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
the label....

+1 it's always the label
smile.gif

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paying for the name? Are they made in China or elsewhere? TBH I've never heard of these brands.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 for al Mankind are shocking quality with a massive brand name. Its like Armani jeans and True Religion. $50 jeans sold as $300 jeans just because people will buy them.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If one needs to ask, one cannot afford...

SuitedNBooted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
7 for al Mankind are shocking quality with a massive brand name. Its like Armani jeans and True Religion. $50 jeans sold as $300 jeans just because people will buy them.

That's not quite true. Armani Jeans will sell their jeans for as little as 90e and as much as 350e, depending on the styling and the fabric. Same goes for Emporio Armani. In fact if you look at the range in the EA online store, you will find some massively expensive denims (e.G. 400e) alongside much cheaper ones - I believe the pricey ones are 'made in california' or some such marketing bs. But evidently the labour & fabric do make a big difference, it's not just the brand name.

Then there's the cut... I'm sorry but Lee is not D&G.

But Seven for all mankind is a mystery to me as well. I just don't get the attraction at that price point, other than snobbery?

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about men jeans? Just making sure we're on the same page...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This might have been a relevant question(in respect to Seven's) 6+ years ago....

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could ask the same question about just about everything. Why is a TF sportcoat $5439.99? I have never seen a TF commercial.

Part of it is material and workmanship as well and cut and design. A big part of it is pricing to a market segment. They are shooting for the $200 jean market. If they were shooting for the $400 jean market, they would probably make a few changes and use some slightly more expensive materials (not $200 worth) change the cut and fit, and price them at $400.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads