or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why no love for the three piece suit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why no love for the three piece suit? - Page 21

post #301 of 329

^^^ Yep.

post #302 of 329
Any idea if they had 38?
post #303 of 329

Sorry my man - I didn't look very far beyond my size (and 38 is very far from 43/44).

post #304 of 329
Phineas Cole is showing some off-the-hook suits this Fall....not for amateurs, to say the least...


http://www.icatalogapp.com/apps/webcat/main/PaulStuart/?c=PhineasCole-Fall-2013#0
post #305 of 329

ianGP show us how to wear a 3-piece suit. 

 

post #306 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

Phineas Cole is showing some off-the-hook suits this Fall....not for amateurs, to say the least...


http://www.icatalogapp.com/apps/webcat/main/PaulStuart/?c=PhineasCole-Fall-2013#0

 

I really like their suits, but I also wish they would stop styling them in their look books with over-the-top ties and contrast-collar shirts like they are 'gangster' outfits. It's all a bit too much and tends to distract from the fact that the suits themselves are lovely.

post #307 of 329
Completely gratuitous opinion...three piece suits need six button notch lapel vests and three button jackets.

When the jacket is buttoned, the vest should just peek out from under the lapel. Otherwise...as with one button and two button jackets...the vest dominates. And the overall look is a bit coarse.

And vests look best square cut at bottom.

Prince Charles has the look, IMO. Unfortunately, unless you do bespoke, you play havoc finding anything similar.
post #308 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
 

ianGP show us how to wear a 3-piece suit. 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Nah, as much as I love the fit on this, the self stripe and peak lapels make it over the top for me. A rare miss from Ian, imo.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Completely gratuitous opinion...three piece suits need six button notch lapel vests and three button jackets.

When the jacket is buttoned, the vest should just peek out from under the lapel. Otherwise...as with one button and two button jackets...the vest dominates. And the overall look is a bit coarse.

And vests look best square cut at bottom.

Prince Charles has the look, IMO. Unfortunately, unless you do bespoke, you play havoc finding anything similar.

 

Six button, no lapel, two button or 3-roll-2 jacket and that "normal" cut bottom; everything else looks ridiculous to me in today's environment.

post #309 of 329
"Ridiculous" is a pretty big blanket adjective. While I agree that what was described is a very solid cut, there are other options that will look good on particular men. Kirk Herbstreit has been wearing some three-piece suits with lapels on the vests on ESPN this season, and I swear the dude practically has smoke coming off of him he looks so damn slick.
post #310 of 329

Okay, but in my opinion that square cut bottom doesn't work at all in case you are not a British prince.

 

I didn't even like it on McQueen.

post #311 of 329
I very rarely like a square cut. On anyone.
post #312 of 329

I have four 3-piece suits.  All have five-button vests and two-button jackets; two of the vests have notch lapels, none of them have square cut bottoms.

 

I'm 5' 8.5" and skinny.  I might imagine trying a six button vest, but I don't wear three-button jackets (unless I'm on a horse ...).

 

Just my personal preferences for me.  There are other people who I think look just fine in suits which depart in one way or another from the description above.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac


Edited by Academic2 - 10/17/13 at 8:15pm
post #313 of 329
Prince Charles only wear single breasted Jackets and waistcoats with his kilts nowadays and the kilt jacket is worn open and the square bottom seams to be ok, however as a young men he wore regular waistcoats as well

With a regular three piece, the single breasted waistcoat work best with an inverted V cut bottom
post #314 of 329

Maybe in the summer it's to much but the rest of the seasons it's great.

The suit on the model needs an Hudson Irish Linen Pocket Square.

Best Regards,

Hudson Pocket Squares

post #315 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

Phineas Cole is showing some off-the-hook suits this Fall....not for amateurs, to say the least...


http://www.icatalogapp.com/apps/webcat/main/PaulStuart/?c=PhineasCole-Fall-2013#0

Those ultra spread collars look horrible.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why no love for the three piece suit?