Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Phineas Cole Suit - 38/32 Last post on 12/11/13 at 7:52am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Paul Stuart expands and relocates their shoe department Last post on 7/21/14 at 7:50am in Classic Menswear
- Phineas Cole Suit - Blue Pinstripe 38 / 32 Last post on 6/4/13 at 10:02pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- BBBF Suits versus Paul Stuart Suits? Last post on 12/5/12 at 9:57pm in Classic Menswear
- Paul Stuart Custom? Last post on 9/13/16 at 5:05pm in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Why no love for the three piece suit? - Page 17post #241 of 3297/21/13 at 11:07ampost #242 of 3297/21/13 at 12:46pm
To back up Coburn's point, I recall Manton once saying that the vest helps more portly men, as President Taft would have seemed much heavier without one.
Here's an illustration on how a vest should fit from a book by Domenico Caraceni, the founder of the Caraceni tailoring family (the book is Orientamenti nuovi nella tecnica e nell'arte del sarto). The illustration is for a trim man, but what's interesting is that the vest is darted and the waist is suppressed. The waistline of the vest hits at the same point as the waistline of the trousers. The arm-holes are cut high. By contrast, most RTW suit vests hang straight, have no tailored waistline, and have low arm-holes.post #243 of 3297/21/13 at 1:29pmQuote:
Agreed on the need for high rise on the trousers if wearing a waistcoat, but it isn't so much "many men like" as "the only things available to buy are low waisted trousers".
That factor is what originally bought me to SF - I simply don't like or look good in low rise trousers. Finding pairs with a decent rise is a trial.post #244 of 3297/21/13 at 2:18pmQuote:Prince Charles is a well known client of A&S, and has been for many years aside of a rumor that he tried T&A MTM suits at some point recently. The Warrant G&H hold may refer to military uniforms and/or to his staff suitsOriginally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
I absolutely agree!
BTW, correct me if I am wrong, but Prince Charles buys most of his suits (the DB and morning suits, anyway) from G&H, right? That suit that Prince Charles is wearing looks like it is from A&S or one of the Savile Row tailors (such as Timothy Everest, Anthony J. Hewitt, Stephen Hitchcock and Steed, to name a few-okay, several) that have the same house style as (or a similar house style to) A&S.
What is interesting for a high vest like that is not that it has lapels, is that those lapels are shawl, I think more common on dinner vestspost #245 of 3299/6/13 at 4:25pmpost #246 of 3299/6/13 at 4:35pmThe problem with 3 piece suits isn't being three pieces, it's that very few companies or tailors cut a good looking vest. Most of the ones you see just sort of hang there with maybe a little help from the cinch in the back.
To me a thee-piece is ideal in cold weather using a fabric with some weight and with tailored details. I like a jacket with flap pockets, full lapels, pants with at least one pleat and full cuffs. Most of all the vest should be shaped, have 4 pockets, lapels, 5 or 6 buttons. Unless you are wearing a morning suit skip contrasting vests.post #247 of 3299/6/13 at 5:18pmpost #248 of 3299/6/13 at 5:59pmQuote:
IMO it's not the vest that's the problem but that the coat and pants have to be cut with the vest in mind. That's why Neapolitan 3 pieces don't look quite right compared to the Savile Row counterparts.post #249 of 3299/6/13 at 9:36pmQuote:
They are kind of fond of belt loops and lower rise trousers which doesn't help.post #250 of 3299/6/13 at 9:40pmpost #251 of 3299/7/13 at 3:44ampost #252 of 3299/7/13 at 7:43amQuote:Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
The problem with 3 piece suits isn't being three pieces, it's that very few companies or tailors cut a good looking vest. Most of the ones you see just sort of hang there with maybe a little help from the cinch in the back.
To me a thee-piece is ideal in cold weather using a fabric with some weight and with tailored details. I like a jacket with flap pockets, full lapels, pants with at least one pleat and full cuffs. Most of all the vest should be shaped, have 4 pockets, lapels, 5 or 6 buttons. Unless you are wearing a morning suit skip contrasting vests.
Never!post #253 of 3299/7/13 at 10:53amYou chaps may find this interesting. The grey vest was made by an English tailor and the blue by an Italian they are both very good tailors but look at the finesse of the English vest in comparison. Obviously this is just two tailors and two vests but the grey does look very English to me and the navy does looks very Italian. I was trying these two bench tailors out and they both got the job, but I think the English guy is better with vests. I allocate the Italian tailor for a more continental vibe if thats what the client wants. Both of these were made for me. There is no pinning on the grey but there is on the blue.post #254 of 3299/7/13 at 11:29ampost #255 of 3299/7/13 at 11:35am
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 36 seconds ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 1 minute ago
- › Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread. 1 minute ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 4 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 6 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...