Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Phineas Cole Suit - 38/32 Last post on 12/11/13 at 7:52am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Paul Stuart expands and relocates their shoe department Last post on 7/21/14 at 7:50am in Classic Menswear
- Phineas Cole Suit - Blue Pinstripe 38 / 32 Last post on 6/4/13 at 10:02pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- BBBF Suits versus Paul Stuart Suits? Last post on 12/5/12 at 9:57pm in Classic Menswear
- Paul Stuart Custom? Last post on 6/30/15 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Why no love for the three piece suit? - Page 16
Styleforum Top Pickspost #227 of 3297/20/13 at 1:27pmpost #228 of 3297/20/13 at 1:53pmpost #229 of 3297/20/13 at 2:17pmpost #230 of 3297/20/13 at 3:35pmpost #231 of 3297/20/13 at 6:02pmpost #232 of 3297/20/13 at 7:36pmpost #233 of 3297/20/13 at 7:36pmpost #234 of 3297/20/13 at 7:42pmQuote:
Your "opinion" brings to mind Jackie Gleason, who 3 of the if not best dressed wearer of 3 piece suits ever.
Several former football players, Howie Long, Michael Strahan, etc were wearing 3 pieces last season as well.
Slim people, pffft!post #235 of 3297/20/13 at 7:57pmQuote:Originally Posted by The Titan
To the OP, my answer is that a 3piece suit only looks good on slim people. Looking at obesity rates everywhere, especially America, it ain't gonna be popular anymore.
Besides, style knowledge has improved to the point where we don't need to wear so many pieces of clothing to look good anymore.
I would bet you in the days when people were wearing 3 piece suits typically, there knowledge of style was a lot better than it is today.post #236 of 3297/20/13 at 8:14pmpost #237 of 3297/20/13 at 9:04pm
There are a couple of reasons why the vest is less common today, despite its undeniable sophistication:
1. For the vest to lie smoothly, it should be worn with suspenders, but most men prefer to wear belts.
2. Many men like to wear low waisted pants that sit on the hips, but vests need to be paired with high waisted pants. This is to avoid a gap between the vest bottom and pant top that would show the shirt and tie.
3. A proper vest is difficult to tailor. It needs to conform closely to the body, so as not to wrinkle the jacket. A vest also needs a waist, hitting exactly at the waistline of the trousers, for a smooth transition between the upper and lower body. Evelyn Waugh, in his wonderful essay on dressing well, said that the vest "is invariably a failure except in expert hands." The challenge of tailoring a vest makes it less common in ready-to-wear and even in bespoke.
4. The trend in clothes is towards greater casualness, and vests are seen as more formal, like stiff collars or French cuffs. In denim colored eyes, vests seem "fussy."
5. Ample central heating is more common, compared to the old days when the thermostat was turned down to save money. In a 70 degree office, vests have gone the way of 18 oz suiting fabric.
It's a shame, since the three piece suit, if done well, can be striking:
For Waugh's essay, see: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2012/01/beau-brummels-on-14000-year.htmlpost #238 of 3297/21/13 at 10:01amI absolutely agree!
BTW, correct me if I am wrong, but Prince Charles buys most of his suits (the DB and morning suits, anyway) from G&H, right? That suit that Prince Charles is wearing looks like it is from A&S or one of the Savile Row tailors (such as Timothy Everest, Anthony J. Hewitt, Stephen Hitchcock and Steed, to name a few-okay, several) that have the same house style as (or a similar house style to) A&S.post #239 of 3297/21/13 at 10:52amQuote:Quote:
Indeed. I believe that a well fitting 3 piece is the best way for overweight to minimize the weight.
I'm not sure i can articulate why but I believe that the vest breaks up the expanse of the shirt and smooths out the radius of curvature of the stomach -- that fools the eye.
When I get more time, I'll post pictures of Jackie Gleason, Edward G Robinson, Sydney Greenstreet. All look better because they are wearing 3 piece.post #240 of 3297/21/13 at 11:05am
- Why no love for the three piece suit?
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 53 seconds ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 8 minutes ago
- › Friday Fit Challenge 7/8 "The Black and white Challenge" 9 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 9 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...