If my latest MTM odd jacket turns out well after shoulder alterations, I might order a matching pair of trousers and vest. I love 3-piece tweed suits, and I think it's a very nice look no matter how one's built.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Phineas Cole Suit - 38/32 Last post on 12/11/13 at 7:52am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Paul Stuart expands and relocates their shoe department Last post on 7/21/14 at 7:50am in Classic Menswear
- Phineas Cole Suit - Blue Pinstripe 38 / 32 Last post on 6/4/13 at 10:02pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- BBBF Suits versus Paul Stuart Suits? Last post on 12/5/12 at 9:57pm in Classic Menswear
- Paul Stuart Custom? Last post on 6/30/15 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Why no love for the three piece suit? - Page 13post #181 of 32912/17/12 at 7:27am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #182 of 32912/17/12 at 7:36ampost #183 of 32912/17/12 at 7:39amQuote:Originally Posted by upr_crust
In reading some of the comments in this thread, and as the owner of no less than seven three-piece suits, I believe that I can weigh in on this subject.
One doesn't need to be particularly tall, thin or athletic to wear one (I'm 5'9", and though not especially fat, not skinny either), though one's torso shouldn't be bulging out in the middle (a prominent gut is a particular no-no with this look).
Fit is important, as is "owning" the look - if you believe that you look natural in a three-piece suit, you will look natural.
I wear them in cooler months to the office (on days when it's a bit cool for a two-piece, but not so cold as to need an overcoat, a three-piece is very useful), as I would a two-piece suit. There is only one of my three-piece suits which I reserve for "special" occasions, as it is a very deep navy blue, and has very bold rope stripes (bought from New & Lingwood in London - it's quite an eyeful, but does require an occasion to be seen in it).
As it is, I'm wearing one today, and I've posted photos in WAYWRN of me in it, so check it out, and decide for yourselves.
I agree with what you're saying, particularly about owning the look. You have a fairly distinguished look in general, so you wear the suit, instead of it wearing you. The same wouldn't be true of the young guy (regardless of build) who watches "Wall Street" and decides to emulate the look. I think many are confusing a good build with a general air of confidence (since the two often go together but can also be mutually exclusive).post #184 of 32912/17/12 at 7:53ampost #185 of 32912/17/12 at 8:05amQuote:
Agreed. Suits, particularly three-piece, should have a nice drape to them and the ultra slim fail to do that, particularly those that are tight in the legs.post #186 of 32912/17/12 at 9:57ampost #187 of 32912/17/12 at 12:00pmQuote:
That must have been quite a large suit for the two of them to share it like that.post #188 of 32912/17/12 at 12:32pmpost #189 of 32912/17/12 at 1:07pmpost #190 of 32912/18/12 at 3:48pmpost #191 of 32912/18/12 at 4:05pmpost #192 of 32912/18/12 at 5:40pmpost #193 of 3295/4/13 at 10:15ampost #194 of 3295/4/13 at 11:28amQuote:
To be honest, it is not uncommon to see young man in their 20s wearing a three piece to work.post #195 of 3295/4/13 at 11:41am
- Why no love for the three piece suit?
Styleforum Top Picks
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.
Currently, there are 1024 Active Users (172 Members and 852 Guests)
- › Australian Members 14 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 17 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 19 minutes ago
- › Experience with Maurizio Baldassari 20 minutes ago
- › Tour De France is Boring 26 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 27 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 30 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 32 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 32 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 36 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...