If my latest MTM odd jacket turns out well after shoulder alterations, I might order a matching pair of trousers and vest. I love 3-piece tweed suits, and I think it's a very nice look no matter how one's built.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Phineas Cole Suit - 38/32 Last post on 12/11/13 at 7:52am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Paul Stuart expands and relocates their shoe department Last post on 7/21/14 at 7:50am in Classic Menswear
- Phineas Cole Suit - Blue Pinstripe 38 / 32 Last post on 6/4/13 at 10:02pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- BBBF Suits versus Paul Stuart Suits? Last post on 12/5/12 at 9:57pm in Classic Menswear
- Paul Stuart Custom? Last post on 3/22/15 at 5:40pm in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Why no love for the three piece suit? - Page 13post #181 of 32912/17/12 at 7:27am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #182 of 32912/17/12 at 7:36ampost #183 of 32912/17/12 at 7:39amQuote:Originally Posted by upr_crust
In reading some of the comments in this thread, and as the owner of no less than seven three-piece suits, I believe that I can weigh in on this subject.
One doesn't need to be particularly tall, thin or athletic to wear one (I'm 5'9", and though not especially fat, not skinny either), though one's torso shouldn't be bulging out in the middle (a prominent gut is a particular no-no with this look).
Fit is important, as is "owning" the look - if you believe that you look natural in a three-piece suit, you will look natural.
I wear them in cooler months to the office (on days when it's a bit cool for a two-piece, but not so cold as to need an overcoat, a three-piece is very useful), as I would a two-piece suit. There is only one of my three-piece suits which I reserve for "special" occasions, as it is a very deep navy blue, and has very bold rope stripes (bought from New & Lingwood in London - it's quite an eyeful, but does require an occasion to be seen in it).
As it is, I'm wearing one today, and I've posted photos in WAYWRN of me in it, so check it out, and decide for yourselves.
I agree with what you're saying, particularly about owning the look. You have a fairly distinguished look in general, so you wear the suit, instead of it wearing you. The same wouldn't be true of the young guy (regardless of build) who watches "Wall Street" and decides to emulate the look. I think many are confusing a good build with a general air of confidence (since the two often go together but can also be mutually exclusive).post #184 of 32912/17/12 at 7:53ampost #185 of 32912/17/12 at 8:05amQuote:
Agreed. Suits, particularly three-piece, should have a nice drape to them and the ultra slim fail to do that, particularly those that are tight in the legs.post #186 of 32912/17/12 at 9:57ampost #187 of 32912/17/12 at 12:00pmQuote:
That must have been quite a large suit for the two of them to share it like that.post #188 of 32912/17/12 at 12:32pmpost #189 of 32912/17/12 at 1:07pmpost #190 of 32912/18/12 at 3:48pmpost #191 of 32912/18/12 at 4:05pmpost #192 of 32912/18/12 at 5:40pmpost #193 of 3295/4/13 at 10:15ampost #194 of 3295/4/13 at 11:28amQuote:
To be honest, it is not uncommon to see young man in their 20s wearing a three piece to work.post #195 of 3295/4/13 at 11:41am
- Why no love for the three piece suit?
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1908 Active Users (475 Members and 1433 Guests)
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 45 seconds ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 57 seconds ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 3 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 3 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...